Waccasassa 3/31 - plenty of reds out there

Left the ramp before sunup to get set up before the tide turned, which wasn't necessary as the water didn't get moving good until ~10:00am.
I saw more reds today than ever before. A few were tailing on the outside edge of the flat on the way in (edge at Wac. = barely perceptible slope). Made a few casts there without luck (too much noise).
The water was real low so I had to wait about 100 yards from the creek. Once the flood started I wasn't sure enough water was going to come in so I started poling out to oyster bars and was spooking good fish every few yards in some very shallow water (one bumped the boat going under it trying to get out). I turned around and went back towards the creek to wait for them to come my way, and they did!
For the first hour of the incoming they were spooky and would bolt if a lure landed near them. Any noise on the boat and schools I hadn't seen yet would run towards the bay. They would chase a gold spoon and a Zara Spook but not aggressively, I threw a couple shrimp out and watched them get eaten but they ignored hooked shrimp. The water was clear enough to watch a couple grab the spoon and spit it.
I finally caught a ~14"er right as a couple boats moved in. I poled back into the creek a ways and caught another about 25" which gave me a nice tow into the current toward the creek mouth, posed for a selfie, then swam away.
I didn't make any more casts and was back at the ramp @ noon.

a917d037-5275-4a90-ac27-88c79976c414_zpsrlziwugf.jpg

Replies

• Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,922 Captain
    Some days they just won't eat no matter what you throw. But at least you know fish are there and you're not in the wrong place. Try throwing a weightless fluke with a 5/0 offset shank j-hook for super spooky fish. Use a light leader. It lands quietly and has a super natural and slow presentation. Plus, the baits are usually scented and realistic feeling so they won't spit it. Sometimes I'll throw a small mirrodine as well... they have a hard time spitting two trebles!
  • NewberryJeffNewberryJeff Posts: 7,349 Admiral
    Both fish were caught on a 1/4oz spoon on 10lb mono w/ a 20lb flouro leader. I think they may have been more ready to bite when I left.
    Twice, the Zara Spook induced pretty dramatic strikes but either they missed or I missed.
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll add those next trip.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Good to hear the fish are starting to get aggressive.....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,241 Officer
    I don't fish in much clear water and always wonder if I am scattering the fish all over the place instead of attracting them. Great looking fish, but if that picture is for an ugly contest, it's close who wins!:grin
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,888 Moderator
    Thanks for the report Jeff !
    "You'll get your weather"
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,538 Captain
    It's fun just seeing them!
  • NewberryJeffNewberryJeff Posts: 7,349 Admiral
    I don't fish in much clear water and always wonder if I am scattering the fish all over the place instead of attracting them. Great looking fish, but if that picture is for an ugly contest, it's close who wins!:grin

:)
    The flat on the south side of the bay gets nice and clear around low tide. If I ever take up fly fishing, that's the first place I'm headed.