Skip to main content
Home General Paddle Craft

New to Board

d9sccrd9sccr Junior MemberPosts: 2 Greenhorn
Hey everyone, I have been lurking the past few months but not posted until now.

I'm moving down to Brickell in a few months and plan to buy a kayak. Just wanted some of your guys' input as to which model. I'd like to use the kayak for both inshore and offshore fishing. For offshore, I think it would be advantageous to have a secondary mode of transport and am therefore looking at the Hobie Mirage kayaks, specifically the PA 12/14 and Outback. I was pretty much sold on a PA, but on Hobie's forum there is a topic comparing the stability of the Outback and PA. That topic makes it sound like the Outback is more stable in windy, rougher water while the PA is better to for stand, sight fishing, etc on flat water.

In addition, the Outback will be easier to transport and is also easier for surf entry/exit.

Does anybody have any insight into the stability issue? Anybody have experience in these two boats offshore?

Thanks for the help

Replies

• timmcollinstimmcollins Senior Member Jupiter, flPosts: 858 Officer
    They both have there Pro's and Cons. You need to test both on the water and decide what works best for you.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • jcanracerjcanracer Moderator Broward, FLPosts: 4,343 Moderator
    Welcome to the forum!
    Liquid Surf & Sail USED TO BE down there by 17th ave and US-1... oh it looks like they've changed their name to Sandy Point Progressive Sports. I think Jim will probably still be in charge. Good kayak/SUP/surf shop.
    http://www.progressivesports.com/00-miami-store.php

Check those guys when you move to Brickell. When I moved out of Dade, they were considering dropping Hobies from their product line-up, but I see them on the new website, so you should be able to demo any of their available kayaks for a small fee which is put towards your purchase price if you go with them.

As for kayak choice, consider your transportation and storage before you get your heart set on a PA, or any large kayak for that matter.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • kr lipkr lip Member daniaPosts: 34 Greenhorn
    I was there a few weeks ago they are good ppl I talked to Oscar I think he called me back when he said he would and was very we'll informed I ended up buying a yak from there and am very happy with there service
  • d9sccrd9sccr Junior Member Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the info guys. I'll check them out. Looking forward to getting down there and out on the water.
  • BarrellBarrell Senior Member North Hutchinson/FPIPosts: 1,305 Officer
    The Pa's are more stable. That being said if your under 230 pounds the outback is plenty of kayak. If your under 175 pounds take a close look at the revo11. In my shop Outback is number one seller but revo 11 is second best.