Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Interesting info on Florida Dining...

Replies

• CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,483 Officer
    This seems to be the opinion of one blogger, who is probably hustling the restaurants to pay for inclusion in the list.
    Its strange that the info on each restaurant is basically their advert.

Up the Creek Raw Bar is a good eating place with an exceptional outlook, but its no better than Papa Joes Oyster Bar and Grill and is certainly behind Tamaras and the Owl Cafe, in my estimation.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,211 AG
    If there is a better restaurant in cedar key than Tony's, I'd love to know what it is

Actually I am happy with downstair bar at the Seabreeze. I can't say for Tony's as we finally got up and left.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,999 Captain
    Really only so many ways you fry a shrimp. Up The Creek gets a visit from us every time we are down. Their grouper sandwich is the best I've ever had and I've had em all over. For an artery clogging good time with great taste, I really enjoy Hammaknockers. Their hammaburger is a 1/3 lb beef patty with a quarter pound of barbecue laid on for good measure. Served on Texas toast, it's a good un!

Papa Joes's is no more if I'm not mistaken. I tried the place 3 times. First time the food was passable. Second time, we stood out front at the counter for 10 minutes and nobody ever tried to seat us. We gave them one more shot, and got seated right away. Unfortunately after 15 minutes at a table with no menu, no drinks, and no desire to wait any longer, we left and went to UTC.

Boss is our second favorite though they're pricing themselves out of our range on some items.
    Proverbs 13:3
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,312 Admiral
    LiveLine wrote: »
    You don't want to know...I will say this much, I work with sewer every day....it has no place in a kitchen

It would surprise many if they saw the kitchens their food was prepared in! Once about 15 years ago I went to an auction to buy bar equipment and spotted some nice high quality convection ovens. A restaurant owner I knew wanted some so I bought them for him. We delivered them into his kitchen. We have never eaten there again.
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,343 Admiral
    Always had good service at Papa Joe's with good food. Liked the venue better when it was on the creek. Boss never has impressed me. Caroline's is great. Hole in the Wall gets my vote for oysters hands down with good food also. Up the Creek is good. Seine Yard at Summer Camp is good, service could be improved. Best meal I have had lately came from Fish Camp on Timber Island.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • IndianLagoonIndianLagoon Posts: 1,871 Captain
    Here's a bit on Up the Creek by Emeril (Start at 15:25):
  • JKPJKP Posts: 3,172 Captain
    Mullet wrote: »
    Anyone been to Spring Creek lately? I used to love the place, been years though.

Still excellent last time I was there but that's probably been two years ago. Ate there probably 200 times when I was growing up.
  • CynicalCynical Posts: 274 Deckhand
    Up the creek and boss are totally different experiences. At the risk of painting with really broad strokes, I would say up the creek is more refined in a very casual way, while boss is down and dirty traditional.

Boss and Caroline's share the kitchen, right? There can't be much difference in quality from the same kitchen.

Up the creek definitely deserves a spot at the top in my opinion. But boss, in the right mood, is right there too. They're just different. I'd like fried shrimp from boss, and everything else I want to eat from up the creek. Chips included!

The places listed in the panhandle, however, are a joke compared with the options available. Total joke.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,644 AG
    Hilltop Country store should be on the list for the Jefferson/Leon line. Just say'n
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • stanwillstanwill Posts: 402 Deckhand
    The Pit Stop is open again and I have had some good food there, just hope they can stay open. The Pearle restaurant in Lanark is purty darn good also. Micci, I agree with you on The Hilltop
    Just an old ,fat man that likes to fish

Papa Joes's is no more if I'm not mistaken. I tried the place 3 times. First time the food was passable. Second time, we stood out front at the counter for 10 minutes and nobody ever tried to seat us. We gave them one more shot, and got seated right away. Unfortunately after 15 minutes at a table with no menu, no drinks, and no desire to wait any longer, we left and went to UTC.

Papa Joes is alive and well and in Apalachicola on the corner of Avenue D and Fourth Street.
    Your experience of the old Papa Joes is almost exactly what we have experienced at Up the Creek , except we had to go to the till to place our order, nobody came to the table, perhaps we both just picked bad days.
  • tapatetapate Posts: 5,263 Admiral
    Cranfield wrote: »
    Papa Joes is alive and well and in Apalachicola on the corner of Avenue D and Fourth Street.
    Your experience of the old Papa Joes is almost exactly what we have experienced at Up the Creek , except we had to go to the till to place our order, nobody came to the table, perhaps we both just picked bad days.

Last time we were down, we saw that Papa Joes was moving to a corner spot downtown. Haven't tried it either.

Used to go to BO decades ago (like when I was 8 or 9). Wife and I sat in Carolines for about 15 minutes until no one came and got our drink order and the inside of that place looked like a REALLY old cruise ship, so we bailed before ordering.

Owl Café when they can get softshell crab is HARD to beat. One of my favorites places anywhere. Looking forward to getting Papa Joes and UTC in the rotation. I have had a great breakfast at Tamaras before as well.

Ate one time upstairs in the wine bar for a pretty good steak.

Have also heard the Gibson will send you out a nice meal as well.

^ one of the things I really like about Apalach, its like the Thomasville of the coast...plenty of options to eat, and none of them are likely bad.
  • hooknredshooknreds Posts: 2,461 Captain
    Bigfoot wrote: »
    The Oaks

Best fried chicken ever.
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,343 Admiral
    tapate wrote: »
    ^ one of the things I really like about Apalach, its like the Thomasville of the coast...plenty of options to eat, and none of them are likely bad.

X2
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you

Hey Cran, don't feel singled out. Everyone at Up The Creek orders at the counter. Right under the "Order Here" sign. ;)
    The food at the golf course restaurant on 98 in Lanark has never disappointed. Every food item has been way above the average. The Sunday brunch buffet has filled me to the bursting point many times. I hope they are still open!
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 5,025 Admiral
    The food at the golf course restaurant on 98 in Lanark has never disappointed. Every food item has been way above the average. The Sunday brunch buffet has filled me to the bursting point many times. I hope they are still open!

I always forget about that place...
    What time do they shut the brunch down on sundays??
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
    Dew, I think it ends at 2PM......... believe me you will not be disappointed! One day they had some of the best flounder the family ever ate on the buffet. It's always great!
    Just went to their website, and you are right. The buffet is from 10am-2pm
    Me and the GF may make a short weekend get away.
    Can stay and play golf for about $200.00.
    Dew, Don't go looking in the brush for lost balls. By the way we were just given 3000 balls from an indoor range. Will be bringing a few 5 gallon buckets to the coast to give away and drive into the water if anyone is wanting any. We were told they are excellent range balls. None gouged that we saw.
  • amada8amada8 Posts: 816 Officer
    That's a generous offer on the balls, IF. As it is, I don't get to use my own balls very often.
    amada8 wrote: »
    That's a generous offer on the balls, IF. As it is, I don't get to use my own balls very often.

:rotflmao
    Played the course before and I know all about the reptile and bear population in that part of the world.
    Cynical wrote: »
    Hey Cran, don't feel singled out. Everyone at Up The Creek orders at the counter. Right under the "Order Here" sign. ;)

I know I was not discriminated against, despite my strange accent.:)
    I do like some sort of service when I eat out and being taken to a table, reading the menu, then walking out the front to place your order, then buffet style on the (very tired looking) starters and finally queuing to pay when leaving, is not my idea of good service.
  • fathomfathom Posts: 315 Officer
    I quit eating cafeteria style after high school.
  • alligatoroballigatorob Posts: 197 Officer
    I like Hamaknockers, but am surprised to see it at #1.

I'd have voted for Posey's or the Tropical Trader.....
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,999 Captain
    I agree that it's all about the type service you expect. We just got used to counter service at UTC and they come around and check on you for alcohol refills, etc. boss is hit and kiss with service, but we usually go there knowing it's going to be a slow meal experience.

Glad Captain Joe's just moved.
    Proverbs 13:3
    I know I was not discriminated against, despite my strange accent.:)
    I do like some sort of service when I eat out and being taken to a table, reading the menu, then walking out the front to place your order, then buffet style on the (very tired looking) starters and finally queuing to pay when leaving, is not my idea of good service.

That's a pretty common arrangement these days and I actually prefer this to the more traditional style, which is heavily dependent upon a good wait staff. I hate waiting for a table and even worse, hate waiting for someone to return to my table just so I can pay.

Now, if I'm breaking out the $$ and treating the lady to a nice experience, we'll go somewhere with a professional wait staff.
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 3,272 Captain
    "Up the Creek" does have the best view, and their oysters can be quite good.

The crab-cakes with fried green tomatoes are another winner.

But, the beer list needs a makeover ... it's a small list of nothing special.

The salad bar is likewise ... "uninspired" ... it's hard to rate U.T.C. as the best in town.

The Owl Tap Room has a much better beer selection, and a really great happy hour.

Upstairs at the Owl is moderately pricey, but delicious, and quiet, which U.T.C. is not.

Breakfast at Caroline's is a treat we usually reserve for our last morning of a visit.