Skip to main content
Home General Paddle Craft

Pulled the trigger on a new Big Rig

Cat n Tat's DuskyCat n Tat's Dusky MemberPosts: 35 Deckhand
Greetings everyone.

I've been lurking around this page for some time deciding on whether or not to fork over the fat cash for my Big Rig, or go with the Acsend 128T. I finally said enough and bought the Jackson, and I couldn't be happier with my decision. She is a behemoth! Weighs in at 96lbs with nothing on it. Originally I just wanted to get something for back country and inshore, but after watching you guys and gals reeling in the big stuff offshore, I had to pull the trigger on this.

A big thanks to Jesse Cors at Liquid Surf and Sail for his professionalism, and throwing in a bunch of free swag!

Now that I have my Battle Cruiser, what do you all suggest as far as my first couple of upgrades?

I am super excited!!!:dance:dance

Replies

• bluewateryak13bluewateryak13 Senior Member Posts: 185 Deckhand
    Fish finder/gps unit. You'll be blind without it, and the gps aspect will put you on wrecks and let you keep an eye on how fast you're drifting.

Refer to the sticky for safety gear. PFD, flag for visibility, lights, etc. Bring a couple of rods, a handful of lures, and go from there. Browse the forum, lots of good information on here. Everyone does everything differently.
  • yaker8872yaker8872 Member Posts: 64 Deckhand
    Got mine recently, not so fond of it on land. Love it on the water 95% of the time. love the high comfortable seating. the ability to stand up sight fish and stretch my legs. the storage, Jackson quality and attention to detail. I need the exercise but she is a bit of a bear to move sometimes depending on the wind and current.

So far rigging wise. Added clamp on starport to top of stand up bar for my cree led spotlight, I often fish at night and like the option to see where i'm going as well as warn the manatees of my presence to avoid getting flipped by one.
    Purchased second transducer for my raymarine dragonfly and mounted it so I can switch the head unit between my big rig and Viking profish reload. ( Don't buy the Jackson transducer scupper kit, complete waste of money. I made a much better one at half the cost.)
    Today my 10 gallon keepalive baitwell arrived which is a good size and which I will fill with 6/7 gallons to keep the weight down. Just have to redo the wiring a little to run the spotlight , dragonfly and well off of 1 12 volt battery.
  • Cat n Tat's DuskyCat n Tat's Dusky Member Posts: 35 Deckhand
    Thank you so much for the replies!

Bluewater, I ordered a few things from Austin Kayak yesterday. Hopefully get them by the weekend. Just the beginning of the essentials! PDF, flag pole/light kit....Still researching what I want for electronics. I've always had good luck with Garmin products. A trip to Home Depot is in short order to get some tools and such. I won't be installing much with just a set of screw drivers!

Yaker...yeah it's a beast on land! I have to figure out some type of transportation to stand it on it's side to get it in and out of my small efficiency. I'm thinking a four wheeled movers dolly with some serious extenders. That's a good idea on the starport clamp on for the stand up bar. I ordered their flag/light kit.
  • SportsFanSportsFan Senior Member BradentonPosts: 155 Deckhand
    Congrats on your new kayak. I bought a Big Tuna last year and love it except for the fact it weighs in at 87lbs empty. I try to load right at the waters edge when possible. I do like the Jackson products.
    image-logo.png
  • Cat n Tat's DuskyCat n Tat's Dusky Member Posts: 35 Deckhand
    I need to hire a couple Sherpa's to load and unload this beast for me!!
  • jcanracerjcanracer Moderator Broward, FLPosts: 4,343 Moderator
    I need to hire a couple Sherpa's to load and unload this beast for me!!
    :Spittingcoffee
    My exact thought when I see people with Hobie Pro Anglers.
    Regardless, congrats and welcome to the Plastic Navy!
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!