Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Horseshoe Beach

My youngest son (16) gave me only one day during his spring break to go fishing. I had tried to get him to go on Saturday but he wanted to sleep in so he said he could go on Thursday 3/26. The tide chart sucked and the weather report wasn't that great either. Arrived in Horseshoe to rain. Picked up some shrimp just in case and by the time we got on the water rain had stopped but was very cloudy and wind was blowing at about 15 knots even though report was only 10. Hit some spots on the flats and my son managed an undersized Trout and then a small shark. Couldn't see the pot holes with the wave action and clouds so we headed to Pepperfish area to try our hand at some reds. Fished hard and only caught one Rat that must have been lost. Skies were looking gloomy and wind seemed to have picked up and when you don't catch fish it's hard to keep the interest of a 16 year old so we headed back in. Will try another port next time.. possibly Steinhatchee.

Replies