Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Lowrance or Hummingbird?

Time to replace the 12 year old monochrome Hummingbird! Sticking with the monochrome but is the Lowrance worth the extra $50.00? Never fish in over 8 ft of water and only want to know how deep it is and whether or not that is grass that I see down there. Thanks for your comments in advance! TS
Aging gracefully with the help of good scotch!

Replies

• grouperdawggrouperdawg Posts: 296 Deckhand
    Which models are you looking at? Hummingbird has improved technology wise, a lot of pro staffers up here on the lake switched to hummingbird. I have lowrance on my boat, no complaints except they don't service my radar anymore they just tell you to buy a new one. That was a very expensive purchase. Lowrance has also been beat up on customer service by many but they have been accessible to me when I have called their regular help line.
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 5,025 Admiral
    "Never fish in over 8 ft of water and only want to know how deep it is and whether or not that is grass that I see down there."
    art-lead.jpg
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 5,025 Admiral
    Max isn't here.
    Someone had to do it.
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
  • Trout SnatcherTrout Snatcher Posts: 86 Deckhand
    Reminds me of the give away that Tuppins in West Palm had back in the 70"s. Free analog depth sounder accurate to 3 ft. for the 1 st 500 customers! (Yard Stick). TS
    Aging gracefully with the help of good scotch!
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 2,000 Captain
    I like Humminbird, but that's mainly because when I need something, they are only about 15 miles from my house. They do have good customer service and the units I have are smarter than I am by far. The side scan feature locates bream beds so good, I'm surprised they aren't outlawed.
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • Old DogOld Dog Posts: 554 Officer
    Klinger, I swear you will like this one. I jumped from Garmin because of small screens and failure to provide service on older units and went to Lowrance. There are several of us that have this unit and we love it.
    OD

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Lowrance-Elite-7-CHIRP-Gold-with-83200-455800-Transducer-P4063.aspx

Here is a site that gives good advice and technical data for many GPS/fish finders

http://www.bbcboards.net/lowrance-sonar-gps/
  • BayBobBayBob Posts: 865 Officer
    My best friend installed the basic Hummingbird monochrome last year and it is much better and easier to use than the Lowrance it replaced.
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 2,000 Captain
    Old Dog wrote: »
    Klinger, I swear you will like this one. I jumped from Garmin because of small screens and failure to provide service on older units and went to Lowrance. There are several of us that have this unit and we love it.
    OD

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Lowrance-Elite-7-CHIRP-Gold-with-83200-455800-Transducer-P4063.aspx

Here is a site that gives good advice and technical data for many GPS/fish finders

http://www.bbcboards.net/lowrance-sonar-gps/

Thanks OD! I recently got a Humminbird 1198cSI as backup to the old Garmin on the offshore boat (an old 188c) as I know they no longer support that unit, & was afraid it would crash, taking over 1000 lobster holes in the Keys with it. The new technology is really great, but still learning how to use some of the features. I bought an extra receiver antenna, transducer, and mounting bracket so it can be used on the skiff as well. Didn't realize how much easier to read the bigger screen is, especially on aging eyes.
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams