Home General Fishing

Penn BTLII3000 and BTLII4000 Spool Replacements

davidgiddavidgid Posts: 250 Deckhand
We decided to mix up our normal vacation a bit and we are going to spend a week on Marathon and the place we are staying has a doc so we are going to rent a boat. Anyway I've been doing some research on fishing for yellow tail and most of the research i've done says that fishing with braid is not recommended.

My reels are battle 2s and I would like to buy new spools so i can swap out between the braided line and mono depending on what I am fishing for. Well I started looking for battle II replacement spools and can't find them for sale anywhere. Any ideas on where to get them?

Replies

• JoeyHotFizzleJoeyHotFizzle Posts: 225 Officer
    davidgid wrote: »
    We decided to mix up our normal vacation a bit and we are going to spend a week on Marathon and the place we are staying has a doc so we are going to rent a boat. Anyway I've been doing some research on fishing for yellow tail and most of the research i've done says that fishing with braid is not recommended.

My reels are battle 2s and I would like to buy new spools so i can swap out between the braided line and mono depending on what I am fishing for. Well I started looking for battle II replacement spools and can't find them for sale anywhere. Any ideas on where to get them?

Unless you are tying the braid directly to your hook or jighead then it's not effective. Save your money and buy a spool of 15 and 20 lb fluoro leader. If the fish is shy with the 20 lb leader switch to the 15 lb leader. Start with about 5-6 feet of leader and see how the fish reacts.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,219 Moderator
    Braid floats, mono sinks This is why mono is better for flat lining YT's. The OP is correct in looking for spare spools.
  • davidgiddavidgid Posts: 250 Deckhand
    Jack thanks for the link, I had not checked them out. The problem is they don't carry the spool either. On the page for the battleII3000 ( http://store.scottsbt.com/PennParts/PennBTLII3000.aspx ) it shows as unavailable. The same thing for the 4000: http://store.scottsbt.com/PennParts/PennBTLII4000.aspx
    Unless you are tying the braid directly to your hook or jighead then it's not effective. Save your money and buy a spool of 15 and 20 lb fluoro leader. If the fish is shy with the 20 lb leader switch to the 15 lb leader. Start with about 5-6 feet of leader and see how the fish reacts.
    Ok I will do that. I always tie on a leader to my braid anyway. Since as Jack mentioned in his other post that the braid floats should I be looking to using a weighted jig head vs just a hook?
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,325 Captain
    You can check with Scott's or Dave's (727) 942-9731... I'm pretty sure there's not one bit of difference between the original Battle reels and the Battle II when it comes to spools (except the cosmetics)... While they probably don't have the new spools, they might have the original spools. Good luck, I keep spares for all my spinners on hand so that I can switch between mono and braid for my anglers (if you hand a rig set up with braid to an absolute beginner - bad things happen).
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • JoeyHotFizzleJoeyHotFizzle Posts: 225 Officer
    davidgid wrote: »
    Ok I will do that. I always tie on a leader to my braid anyway. Since as Jack mentioned in his other post that the braid floats should I be looking to using a weighted jig head vs just a hook?

It depends David. Usually the bigger smarter yellowtails hang in the deeper column when you're chumming. So if all you're catching are the smaller ones id use an 1/8 oz jighead or maybe heavier to get it to sink quicker. I use personally use a 1/0 circle hook and put a 1/8 or 1/4 oz weight where my leader starts. It's not as easy to cast compare to just the jighead but It works for me.
    davidgid
    I'll check any difference between the original Battle spools and the BattleII spools when I get to work on Wednesday and post up here
  • snippersnipper Posts: 524 Officer
    why not just call Penn directly?
    davidgid
    I'll check any difference between the original Battle spools and the BattleII spools when I get to work on Wednesday and post up here
    I really appreciate that Jack!
    Just checked tile leftover stock of Battles with the current stock of BattleII's. Spools are interchangeable. A Conflict spool also fits.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Nice thank you Jack! I will just have to pick us some battle spools. I appreciate you looking into that for me.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,325 Captain
    Here's a tip for anyone using lots of spinners with braid... Can't tell you how helpful it is with braid to just pull a bad spool and replace it with a fresh one (already prepped with leader in place) when you have a tangle... Then at the end of the day you can do a bit of "knitting" while watching the tube or having an adult beverage (my only tools are two needles to carefully pick out any tangles under a bright light).

Much, much better than pulling and discarding otherwise perfectly good line.... and braid is expensive enough, thank you. The next day the sorted out spool is the new back-up just waiting for the next tangle to step back into service. As a guy that fishes a lot of beginners this simple trick has saved me quite a bit of aggravation - and a bit of money as well.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,246 AG
    lemaymiami wrote: »
    Here's a tip for anyone using lots of spinners with braid... Can't tell you how helpful it is with braid to just pull a bad spool and replace it with a fresh one (already prepped with leader in place) when you have a tangle... Then at the end of the day you can do a bit of "knitting" while watching the tube or having an adult beverage (my only tools are two needles to carefully pick out any tangles under a bright light).

Much, much better than pulling and discarding otherwise perfectly good line.... and braid is expensive enough, thank you. The next day the sorted out spool is the new back-up just waiting for the next tangle to step back into service. As a guy that fishes a lot of beginners this simple trick has saved me quite a bit of aggravation - and a bit of money as well.

It is a great tip....and holds equally well for mono....I have a back up spool in a baggy with a leader attached...swap and tie the lure and your back in the game.
    I learned this the most painful way possible...Fishing a tourney I put "fresh" line on the night before...not thinking to test the line first...In the morning I broke off a nice tourney Red...I fish a light drag and subsequent checking had the line breaking at about 2 lb test!....No spare and I had to strip and reline (had some older stuff in the console) just so I could fish...A bitter lesson.
    A " Hat on a Hat" ( control what is controllable )..... Spare spool ready to rock. :)
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you