Suggestion to clean and protect boat cover

iMacattackiMacattack Posts: 19 Greenhorn
I have a cover on my 1996 Scout. It's a Westland Cover andt their "Sharkskin" fabric. It's served me very well for the past two years. I want to make sure it lasts as long as possible. To that end what product/products would be recommended to clean and protect it. Also can this be accomplished while the cover is on the boat or should it be removed?

Thanks!

Jan

Replies

• BillatstarbriteBillatstarbrite Posts: 508 Officer
    Hey Jan,

I have a Taylormade cover on my Edgewater and I use a boat soap to clean it.

I just got a new cover - the old one "only" lasted 7 years :) - the first thing I did when I draped it over the boat was to apply Star brite Waterproofing. Think of it as like sacrificial anodes on your outboard - you want something relatively inexpensive to wear out before it gets to the expensive stuff. Same on the cover. I want the extra coating of waterproofing to be a barrier against UV and weathering. I re-apply once per year, and clean it maybe 3 times per year while it is on the boat - a bucket of boat soap, extra sudsy, a soft brush to move it around (do not "scrub" fabric") and then a thorough rinsing (or I do it when it is about to rain).
  • PP bassinPP bassin Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Jan-- Clean it with Star brite Fabric Cleaner and Protectant w/PTEF (its a relatively new Star brite product, sort of a supped-up version of the older Boat Cover Cleaner). Once clean, let it dry, then go over it with Star brite Waterproofing w/PTEF. Good as new. And yes, easiest way to do it is to put the cover on the boat then go to work.
  • iMacattackiMacattack Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the replies. I've been traveling for work and finally got a chance to reply. I did cleaned the cover as described above with Star brite Fabric Cleaner and Protectant w/PTEF . So I will need to get some waterproofing on it next. Oh the joys of owning a boat in sunny south florida. =)

For a 20' bay boat how much product should I purchase? I saw the waterproofer in 22oz and gallon sizes.

Thanks!

Cheers
    Jan
    Jan, I just used 2 and a half of the 22 oz bottles to waterproof a new cover on my 22' Edgewater. I should have just used a gallon and any leftovers would have gone the bimini top or my car cover.
  • iMacattackiMacattack Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    I guess 8 months is not too long for an update I hope.

I washed the cover the your fabric cleaner. Then a couple days later I finally went over the entire cover with your waterproofing. I purchased a gallon and have some leftover for the Bimini top. Good thing because the following weeks we got absolutely drenched here in South Florida. Bloody heck! So much for a "dry" winter.

Anyhow. The water beads up perfectly. Even after a full day of rain. Now I want to use it to waterproof everything... wonder how well it would work on my Frog Togg rain gear... lol. Just kidding! Wanted to drop a quick note to update what I have seen. Thanks!

Cheers!
    Jan
    Jan,

Thanks for taking time to post an update.

Bill

(Frog Toggs are great - I have a set in my Harley's saddlebags)