Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Question for turkey hunting folks/gurus

If I am back in town from Ronnie's heart cath procedure, I plan to hunt Saturday morning.

The issue I'm facing is at daylight, it's supposed to be 41*. Should I sleep in? Get there, set up and call? Get there, find a spot and chill til I hear one? I've only hunted a few times and it was always at least 58* when I got out of the truck.

Looking for guidance.

Thanks all,

B
Proverbs 13:3

Replies

• micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,649 AG
    Get on out there. It's been so hot here that these couple of cool mornings shouldn't matter at all. In years past I have seen gobblers breath as they gobble it was so cold and it didn't bother them one bit. If you are going in blind, meaning not already knowing an area that holds turkeys your only option is to go to a listening spot and hope to hear one and go from there. I don't fool with roosting birds because where I'm going to be hunting I know that they are there and will be somewhere (or should be) on the back side of the property.

Keep your calling to a minimum. A series of yelps every 20-30 minutes and keep your eyes moving because he/they may come in silent. Listing to all of the other critters wake up is comforting too. The cardinals will be talking well before any sign of light. Good luck and report back if you get to go.

Prayers for Ronnie's procedure as well.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • grouperdawggrouperdawg Posts: 296 Deckhand
    Barometer more important than air temp, falling barometer not good, Saturday should be good
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,999 Captain
    Thanks guys.
    Proverbs 13:3
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,127 Captain
    I'd be out there. I prefer those days when it starts 40-45* as opposed to 60*. Much more talkative birds! This weekend should be stellar with the predicted weather!
  • featherfanaticfeatherfanatic Posts: 512 Officer
    I love a cool morning in turkey season. Seems to me it makes the birds more frisky and fired up. Get after em

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk