New to me Boat, VHF question. To GPS or not to GPS?

Hello all,
I've got boat here in my backyard! 19 foot century Bay boat.

The VHF seems dead, it will turn on, search and switch channels but no sound is coming out. I'm going to check all the wires this weekend and maybe open it up and check the internal speaker.

Sooo, If I need a new VHF, Do you all that fish from Cedar key to Ecofina feel like the GPS features are worth your time and money? The Standard Horizon GX1700 with an internal GPS can be had for about $200 with a $40 rebate. This seems pretty reasonable to not have to wire the thing to another piece of equipment. It is also capable of navigating by itself if needed.

Alternatively, The GX1300 seems like a nice radio that does the basic stuff and can interface with GPS if I get one that is capable. I can get it for about $130 with a $30 rebate. Either seems like a good deal.

Thanks for your input.

Replies

• Hunt NastyHunt Nasty Posts: 111 Officer
    If you are going offshore I would say yes... For inshore, I wouldn't think the extra expense would be worth it. Check your co axial cable on the VHF.... Mine was doing the same thing and the coaxial cable was shot, had to replace it.
  • Hunt NastyHunt Nasty Posts: 111 Officer
    For $160, I think that is a pretty good deal. A new VHF without GPS will probably run you around $120.

Check your co axial cable on the VHF.... Mine was doing the same thing and the coaxial cable was shot, had to replace it.
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,461 Captain
    What you're paying for is automatic Rescue 21 coverage. It even works with a hand held unit transmitting at 1 watt.

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtNds

There is no good reason to get a new radio without this capability. You can save a few buck by getting a unit that you can hook up to an existing GPS such as the GX1300. But built in GPS and DSC are pretty much standard features these days.
  • majorgatormajorgator Posts: 369 Deckhand
    What you're paying for is automatic Rescue 21 coverage. It even works with a hand held unit transmitting at 1 watt.

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtNds

There is no good reason to get a new radio without this capability. You can save a few buck by getting a unit that you can hook up to an existing GPS such as the GX1300. But built in GPS and DSC are pretty much standard features these days.
    X2 on this ^^^

VHF technology has moved very quickly over the last several years, and the prices keep reflecting that. I don't think I've seen new a fixed-mounted VHF for sale in several years that didn't at least have the DSC function. If yours doesn't have it, then ditch it and get a new one. That's just my opinion of course. Also my opinion...if you're inshore (say within site of land to 5 miles or so), then save a few dollars on the extra features. Offshore is totally different, and I don't believe anyone should ever try to save money by getting a cheaper "anything" when venturing out there. Then again, its not hard to convince me to spend money on fishing or boating :wink
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,354 Admiral
    Can this technology allow others to steal your secret "numbers"?
    23895.gif
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,929 Captain
    I can just imagine me radio'ing my friends from my favorite fishing hole only for somebody to show up and steal my spot. Can it be turned off when inshore?
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,461 Captain
    You are confusing DSC with AIS. DSC only sends out your location when you send out an automatic distress over channel 70. It sends out your MSSI number as well, which lets the Coasties know who you are and what kind of boat to look for. You can also use DSC to make "private" calls to you buddies as long as you know their MSSI number.

AIS requires a special transceiver that lets other vessels see your position and lets you see similarly equipt vessel see you on a chart plotter. This function can be turned off and is only really useful in shipping lanes and large harbors where larger commercial vessels are common.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,929 Captain
    Sounds pretty useful. Maybe I'll network my chartplotter with my new vhf then. Never can be too safe especially since I'm always pushing the limits with small boats offshore.
  • ricerice Posts: 91 Deckhand
    Thanks Guys, I ordered a new Standard Horizon GX1700 today. With the $40 rebate it's a very good deal. I'll be looking at mounting options under my poling platform for my antenna soon.