Contractor spraying exoctic plants gets lost

bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,634 Captain
In this last weeks FWC LE weekly report

OSCEOLA COUNTY

Lieutenants Fugate, Hayes, and Jefferson along with Officers Platt, Scrambling, Mendez, Lightsey, Miller (K-9), Cybula, and Arendas were involved in a search and rescue for a missing contractor hired to spray invasive plant species in Bull Creek WMA. While working in the area, the man became lost and did not report back with his crew at the end of the day. This sparked a multi-agency search and rescue effort involving FWC and Osceola County Sheriff’s Office personnel. The search lasted through the night and into the next morning before he was found by the Sheriff’s helicopter. The man was reunited with his family after being found on a levy road near where he was working. The man suffered no injury and was in good spirits when he was found.

People have made many comments about the spraying of the wrong plants in the wrong places. It would appear that some of the people really do not know where they are when they are spraying.
The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.

Replies

• Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 2,155 Captain
    I heard from one of the deputies that the guy was in a tree all night and heard the searchers and saw their lights but didn't say anything. Almost like he wasn't quite ready to be found just yet.
  • gottheitch22gottheitch22 fort Meade FLPosts: 4,308 Captain
    I think he is in the wrong line of work to get lost in Bull creek .
    living life as i like
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    Walker Dog wrote: »
    I heard from one of the deputies that the guy was in a tree all night and heard the searchers and saw their lights but didn't say anything. Almost like he wasn't quite ready to be found just yet.

Wonder if he were having relations with some vermin up there..

Kinda like the gorilla in the movie Trading Places! Lol!!
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 13,490 AG
    last weekend two teenage boys managed to flip their canoe 5 miles from where they put in at the lake down the road. When they did not come home someone reported them missing. 12 FWC officers and 5 hrs later they were found in the water in what we call the "gator holes". They were fine and 4 FWC officers came back out the next day to find their boat and they did in a few hours.

So do you think FWC should have came back and looked for the boat or let the owners do it?
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    micci_man wrote: »
    last weekend two teenage boys managed to flip their canoe 5 miles from where they put in at the lake down the road. When they did not come home someone reported them missing. 12 FWC officers and 5 hrs later they were found in the water in what we call the "gator holes". They were fine and 4 FWC officers came back out the next day to find their boat and they did in a few hours.

So do you think FWC should have came back and looked for the boat or let the owners do it?
    There parents should have . But I have know problem with FWC doing it as long as there not charging for it .
    living life as i like
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,472 AG
    bgeorge wrote: »
    In this last weeks FWC LE weekly report

OSCEOLA COUNTY

Lieutenants Fugate, Hayes, and Jefferson along with Officers Platt, Scrambling, Mendez, Lightsey, Miller (K-9), Cybula, and Arendas were involved in a search and rescue for a missing contractor hired to spray invasive plant species in Bull Creek WMA. While working in the area, the man became lost and did not report back with his crew at the end of the day. This sparked a multi-agency search and rescue effort involving FWC and Osceola County Sheriff’s Office personnel. The search lasted through the night and into the next morning before he was found by the Sheriff’s helicopter. The man was reunited with his family after being found on a levy road near where he was working. The man suffered no injury and was in good spirits when he was found.

People have made many comments about the spraying of the wrong plants in the wrong places. It would appear that some of the people really do not know where they are when they are spraying.

You would think they would be armed with GPS just in case they broke down and could phone in their location even at dark.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Gone_FishingGone_Fishing Posts: 1,184 Officer
    The guy's phone battery died.

They shut down Mizzel Ford Road the day before opening day of Turkey Season looking for him.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 6,869 Admiral
    Why would they shut down the road ?
    Put 100 Turkey hunters in the woods and he'd be home for lunch. Free Volunteers.
    FWC could have just sat at the Check Station with their feet up.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    The guy's phone battery died.

They shut down Mizzel Ford Road the day before opening day of Turkey Season looking for him.

If he was using his phone for a GPS and communication THAT can be a problem. Field people need a REAL GPS for navigation. Smart phones suck the crap out of batteries. Hell, I carry phone, GPS, and VHF when I leave the dock. I'm getting older and don't need the hassle. A few years ago I knew an old guy who pulled his broken down airboat through the salt swamps back to Suwannee. There is no need for that BS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nofishtodaynofishtoday Posts: 1,271 Officer
    Should be mandatory to carry and be able to use

A Compass
  • mossyhorn9mossyhorn9 Posts: 321 Deckhand
    That must have been a fun night... Bet the skeeters ate his **** alive!
    You can blame it on my rebel raisin'...
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,514 AG
    navigator2 wrote: »
    If he was using his phone for a GPS and communication THAT can be a problem. Field people need a REAL GPS for navigation. Smart phones suck the crap out of batteries. Hell, I carry phone, GPS, and VHF when I leave the dock. I'm getting older and don't need the hassle. A few years ago I knew an old guy who pulled his broken down airboat through the salt swamps back to Suwannee. There is no need for that BS.
    What's wrong with being a TRUE outdoorsman???
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    What's wrong with being a TRUE outdoorsman???

What classifies a person to be a true outdoorsman? I would think finding your way around the woods and water would classify.

Do you fish or crab without any electronics?
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    What classifies a person to be a true outdoorsman? I would think finding your way around the woods and water would classify.

I think he just gut hooked you. Trolling is half the fun here. :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I didn't feel a thing from here bro :beer
    I lost a U-joint trying to cross the creek many years ago, but no one shut down any roads looking for it. :wink
    flydown wrote: »
    I lost a U-joint trying to cross the creek many years ago, but no one shut down any roads looking for it. :wink

must have one of those special driving anyplace passes
    living life as i like
    must have one of those special driving anyplace passes

This was back in the early 80's. Pretty sure no such pass existed in that era.
    flydown wrote: »
    This was back in the early 80's. Pretty sure no such pass existed in that era.

I figured that was just messing with you .
    living life as i like
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,444 Captain
    Rambling and exploring new Osceola National Forest lands a while back I discovered I was 'lost' but didn't know it- I eventually came upon a familiar locked gate with "......Refuge" sign.....except this time, with rifle slung over my shoulder, I was on the other side of the gate.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink

Yes, in the summer blue crabbing, no gps or sonar.
    I even pull 3-400 traps per day by (gasp!) hand.
    Keeps me fit.

And when I net fished inshore, eyes, ears, and thirty plus years of experience in my local waters.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    Yes, in the summer blue crabbing, no gps or sonar.
    I even pull 3-400 traps per day by (gasp!) hand.
    Keeps me fit.

And when I net fished inshore, eyes, ears, and thirty plus years of experience in my local waters.

That's all well and good, until........................the elements of fog or night or both show up, game changer.:hairraiser

20 years ago I was sheepshead fishing off the now defunct and removed gulf marker number 12 off Cedar Key and suddenly we were in pea soup fog with visibility of about 100 feet. Didn't have a GPS, just a very small compass so I pointed her northeast. Somehow I was fortunate enough to hit the Six Posts head on and knew which way to turn to at that point without going aground at Cabbage Reef. From there I ran due east until I found the marsh grass and ran north until I hit the mouth of East Pass. All this at about 10mph creeping along. However I was somewhat lucky. Electronics are cheap these days relatively speaking and a good hand held GPS and handheld VHF could save you a lot of pain or your life.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    navigator2 wrote: »
    That's all well and good, until........................the elements of fog or night or both show up, game changer.:hairraiser

20 years ago I was sheepshead fishing off the now defunct and removed gulf marker number 12 off Cedar Key and suddenly we were in pea soup fog with visibility of about 100 feet. Didn't have a GPS, just a very small compass so I pointed her northeast. Somehow I was fortunate enough to hit the Six Posts head on and knew which way to turn to at that point without going aground at Cabbage Reef. From there I ran due east until I found the marsh grass and ran north until I hit the mouth of East Pass. All this at about 10mph creeping along. However I was somewhat lucky. Electronics are cheap these days relatively speaking and a good hand held GPS and handheld VHF could save you a lot of pain or your life.
    Night never bothered me, turn off all lights and let your eyes adjust, but yes fog is a pain and a good compass is your friend.
  • PalmettoKidPalmettoKid Posts: 847 Officer
    How do they get lost, they leave ribbon every 3 yards...
    No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
    Bobjr86 wrote: »
    Ok so i hunted florida for my first time yesterday and have to say i was really disappointed.