Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Pressure canning help???

I have been pressure canning about a dozen jars of spag... with meat sauce, chili with meat and beans with other stuff in it as well as other vegetables. Everything was doing fine except last year. I hardly got a jar of chili, it kept boiling out of the jar. Everything else did fine. I need to figure out the problem before the tomatoes come in. Any ideas???

Replies

• micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,657 AG
    Can't help you with that problem but every self caner should own the Ball Blue Book guide to preserving, even the experienced caners because it has everything in it that can be canned. You can get it a Walmart or the like. Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/Jarden-Home-Brands-21400-Ball/dp/B001DIXG9A/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1427244360&sr=8-10&keywords=the+ball+book+of+canning
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,127 Captain
    I have had the same problem with my venison. Fortunately they seem to seal just fine in lieu of this. It just makes a bigger mess. Part of my problem, I think, is that my weight is a 15lb weight and I really need an 11lb weight for venison. This causes the temps to get a bit higher than normal, but it's hard for me to keep the pressure down around 11lbs.

Maybe try a little less in the jars?
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,657 AG
    Now I understand what your issue is, foo is correct with a less weight canner or just have the weight barely moving and not filling the jars as full. I had some tomatoes run over but it was from the jars that I over filled. I usually leave 1 1/"-2" of head space in the jar with them but have never canned chili.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain
    I second micci_man's suggestion on the Ball Blue Book of canning. You need this!

What about a substantial dehydrator for drying/preserving fruits and vegetables? Anyone ever tried one of these? I want to give it a try I think! I'm back in the growing business this spring for the local markets, and I'll have an abundance of vegetables that don't sell each week. I fully intend to lay back enough stuff canned or dehydrated to carry us forward for about a year! Not out of any paranoid fear of our system collapsing, it's just my Southern Appalachian Scotch-Irish Presbyterian Genes kicking in :grin! Also been thinking about building a small smokehouse like we had when I was a kid. Actually took measurements and made notes on constructing one from a friend's up home not long ago. Ever had fresh ground grits run through the smokehouse for that "smoked flavor"? :wink
  • PineywoodsPineywoods Posts: 128 Deckhand
    I second micci_man's suggestion on the Ball Blue Book of canning. You need this!

What about a substantial dehydrator for drying/preserving fruits and vegetables? Anyone ever tried one of these? I want to give it a try I think! I'm back in the growing business this spring for the local markets, and I'll have an abundance of vegetables that don't sell each week. I fully intend to lay back enough stuff canned or dehydrated to carry us forward for about a year! Not out of any paranoid fear of our system collapsing, it's just my Southern Appalachian Scotch-Irish Presbyterian Genes kicking in :grin! Also been thinking about building a small smokehouse like we had when I was a kid. Actually took measurements and made notes on constructing one from a friend's up home not long ago. Ever had fresh ground grits run through the smokehouse for that "smoked flavor"? :wink

Bring the grits I have the smoke house
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain
    I didn't find out what work was until I retired! Used to ride up and down the road in my Dodge 2500 4X4 telling loggers and other woods workers what to do next. Then I retired .....and went to work for the first time in years :grin!

Health is very good to excellent, weigh the same as I did when I finished high school back in the 50's, can still work all day long cruising timber if I wanted to....why quit?....:driver:
  • plumbbobplumbbob Posts: 791 Officer
    Thanks for the helpful hints.