Home Fly Fishing

Beach Snook Question...

FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
Today we found ourselves poling just outside the swash on a beach that was literally covered with white bait.

Along with the beach, we found a couple of dozen big overslot snook. We were able to get right up close and cast to them as they cruised the bait schools.

Of course, they wanted nothing to do with the white fly I was throwing in an effort to match the hatch.

I'm thinking I should have gone to something bigger and darker...something that would have stuck out from the crowd?
-
Chris
Gulf Coast of FL
@flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod

Replies

• Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,422 Captain
    I had this same discussion yesterday with some folks at the shop.Their eyes make them very effective in low light, but bluebird skies tend to make them uncooperative. Not saying they can't be caught when it's nice out, but I like cloudy days with a nice chop. Try something small and obnoxious, like a pink & yellow seaducer if you want to get their attention.
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    The water was a little "chalky" and there was nice surf action with a little bit of chop on the surface and some clouds.

We'd find them on the bottom within range of a short cast but they had no interest in the white flies we tried.

Will try your suggestion next time I'm out there in similar conditions.
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod