tidewater18 new in town

Hello all, just moved to navarre from jacksonville. I have my tidewater bayboat. Stoked about the cobia run and really looking foreword to nearshore spring and summertime fishing from destin to Pensacola. been to some spots in east bay and Pensacola bay. Found some nice red and black drums, and caught the biggest sheephead of my life by 3 mile bridge.
I would love some advise on the cobia run and would be willing to sport the boat for some local knowledge of where to find the poggies, rips, some nearshore wrecks and reefs.
Out in the water on my days off when weather permits.

Thanks for any knowledge of the area spots and baIt patterns
Matt

[email protected]

Replies

• Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,984 Moderator
    Welcome.

Great that you found some rod-benders upon arrival!

Speaking of bait patterns.... menhaden / pogies have been scarce past few years. Saw a lot of rain minnows already this year last weekend. I think bait will show up BIG this year. I also think fish will be behind it BIG. As in get out there and fish.

As far a ling go, look for a SSE wind for a few days in a row from now till late April. Water is seems to be clear out there. Rivers low. BAIT IS COMING this year. I really think this year is going to be like it was 5 years ago.

Anyway, just ride the beach, man. They should be going counter clock wise along the N gulf coast.

Get em.

Welcome.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • tidewater18tidewater18 Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    Thanks panhandler. Was hoping pogies would be thick here like the east coast. 1/2 hitch b&t has live eels .I will give them a try as well as throwing my cast net to match the hatch......
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 7,984 Moderator
    Hard to beat a live eel.

If you want to save a little coin / effort, you can hold on using them just yet. I go to them later as the fish are finding more and more bait. If you come across one on the beach today you could catch him on a flip flop with a trolling hook.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • Sheepshead25Sheepshead25 Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Hey Tidewater18,

Quite similar to you, I just moved to Navarre area from Jacksonville as well. Work related.

Miss the Jax marsh fishing for sure and the city in general, especially around Heckscher, but the offshore and nearshore bite here is much better and I am excited to give it a shot. All I have been hearing is a live eel or a bucktail is all ya need here for the Cobia. We will see.

I plan on heading out of Destin most of the upcoming weekends to see what we can find. PM me if your headed out and we can learn / work together.

Tight Lines,

TM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    **TEAM SHEEPSHEAD WEAR - Sheepsheadwear.com
    **Key West 176 Sportsman CC w/ Evinrude Etec 115