Home General Fishing

Who Is In The Right?

scubaholicscubaholic Posts: 10 Greenhorn
Went out yesterday to do a wreck dive. As we are coming up on the wreck and preparing to anchor on the site, a sport fisher is trolling the area. We figure he is doing a few passes over the wreck before he heads off to another spot so we anchor on top of the wreck while he is trolling. Our thinking is that he is not anchored on the spot and that when we anchor he can still troll the area (which is about 130' depth). It won't bother us and we won't be in his way. After setting anchor, the captain of the sport fisher displayed his "dissatisfaction" that we should not of anchored as he was there first. He continued to make a few more passes then he moved on. Who is in the right? I obviously have my opinion and do not think it is right to move in on someone that is anchored on a spot, but trolling a spot is different and like I said, he certainly could continue to troll the area. My "flame pants" are on, just in case.

I'm sure I will hear a lot of opinions and I will post this in the "General Fishing" section, as well.

Replies

• Kaptan KKaptan K Posts: 90 Deckhand
    Doesn't sound like he was catching anything on that wreck anyway. You probably inspired him to move to a spot with biting fish and made his day.
  • captainjtsmithcaptainjtsmith Posts: 56 Deckhand
    300FT IS 300FT.... I SAY FIRST BOAT HAS THE RIGHT OF THE NUMBER/SPOT.... I DON'T WANT SOMEONE CROWDING ME WHEN I'M ALREADY THERE.... SO I DON'T DO IT TO THEM
    KARMA IS A *****
  • RootbeerRootbeer Posts: 128 Officer
    It does stink but what my husband and I do is if someone is in one of our favorite spots then we head over to another spot to dive in... That happened this weekend where I asked my husband to go to our favorite hog heaven spot but there was a boat anchored up right on top of our spot so we didn't want to crowd that person so we had to go dive somewhere else... We got blessed and still managed to shoot a 22 1/2 inch hog by going to another different spot...

Now, if you are just pole fishing 300 feet is way to overboard for distance... I mean you could give a person that much space if you wanted but I've had plenty of boats park right across us a couple of feet away when we used to backcountry and do our flats fishing but as so long as it was far enough for our lines not to tangle or cross then it was cool with me.... It probably was 100 feet to 50 feet away at times....

As for offshore trolling well I'm sure people who troll need more room and I have no idea how much feet of distance would be needed for that style of fishing.... I think you would have to ask people who like to troll and what would be the normal distance to give some who is trolling around you..... I wouldn't know what that distance would be for offshore trolling but if you ask some of the guys that fish for swords and stuff then they will tell you what is the courtesy distance... based on what amount of distance they tell you then it is up to you to respect first come has the right of way... Not everyone likes to repect that and I have arrived at a spot to spearfish and people put their boat right next to us just to snorkel with their kids... THen they have had the nerve to tell us not to spearfish next to them and their kids when we were there first... My husband just leaves... I give it to those people and let them know that they are the ones that are soooo in the wrong.... But my husband is right... Why bother arguing with direspectful people - my husband just picks up and leaves... Why fight over a spot with people who want to act greedy....
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    Rootbeer wrote: »
    It does stink but what my husband and I do is if someone is in one of our favorite spots then we head over to another spot to dive in... That happened this weekend where I asked my husband to go to our favorite hog heaven spot but there was a boat anchored up right on top of our spot so we didn't want to crowd that person so we had to go dive somewhere else... We got blessed and still managed to shoot a 22 1/2 inch hog by going to another different spot...

Now, if you are just pole fishing 300 feet is way to overboard for distance... I mean you could give a person that much space if you wanted but I've had plenty of boats park right across us a couple of feet away when we used to backcountry and do our flats fishing but as so long as it was far enough for our lines not to tangle or cross then it was cool with me.... It probably was 100 feet to 50 feet away at times....

As for offshore trolling well I'm sure people who troll need more room and I have no idea how much feet of distance would be needed for that style of fishing.... I think you would have to ask people who like to troll and what would be the normal distance to give some who is trolling around you..... I wouldn't know what that distance would be for offshore trolling but if you ask some of the guys that fish for swords and stuff then they will tell you what is the courtesy distance... based on what amount of distance they tell you then it is up to you to respect first come has the right of way... Not everyone likes to repect that and I have arrived at a spot to spearfish and people put their boat right next to us just to snorkel with their kids... THen they have had the nerve to tell us not to spearfish next to them and their kids when we were there first... My husband just leaves... I give it to those people and let them know that they are the ones that are soooo in the wrong.... But my husband is right... Why bother arguing with direspectful people - my husband just picks up and leaves... Why fight over a spot with people who want to act greedy....

That is nice for you to move. It takes a lot of nerve/rudeness to ask you not to spearfish if you were there first!
    That is nice for you to move. It takes a lot of nerve/rudeness to ask you not to spearfish if you were there first!

Since I only started spearfishing last year we started spearfishing snappers around soldier key back in the day when I was a begginer... We don't go to Soldier key no more but one time there was a man who yelled at us to leave even though we were there first... He tried to yell at me that it was illegal to spearfish there but I told him that was not true and he better check before accusing us and this was last year... Then I think he told his son to jump right infront of my gun when I was about to shoot a snapper.... I didn't see the boy coming because I was so focused on the snapper but as soon as the boy jumped right where I was a freaked out and noticed that these people came along to start problems and harrass us spearfishers.... After that the man yelled and said that if I injured his son with my spear that he would do something to me... Of course I wan't going to do anything to his son because as soon as I realized what they were doing I stopped spearfishing and my husband was telling me we should just leave.... No need to fight with them.... I had no idea that he was gonna have his son walk on the rocks and just jump right infront of me on purpose I think! WOW crazy people! After that I told the man how crazy he is to put his kids in danger like that and I was leaving and he can have the spot... No spot is worth fighting for no matter what... but some people are just seriously crazy and very territorial.... We were there first but they could careless - they just wanted us gone so we left.... So, messed up!

That happened a second time at Soldier Key with another man with two little girls and even though we were there first I told the man please we were here first and he didn't care and I tried to warn him how dangerous it is to have his girls swimming close to us while we were spearfishing so we ended up leaving since they were so rude... The little girls didn't want to jump in the water but the dad forced them and told them to do it.... I could hear the little girl begging her dad to go somewhere else but he said no! I told that man to that I have a daughter and I don't go and tell my daughter to jump where it could be dangerous.... Put it this way if some guys are fishing with hooks and fishing poles I still wouldn't let my daughter jump in close by some fishermen because I wouldn't want her to get hurt or snagged by the hooks...

I just don't understand people at times and their ways of thinking to put their own children in harms way just to take over territory??? how crazy is that??? Man geeee they can have the spot!!!

So, ever since then my husband hates to go to Soldier Key and we no longer go there no more.... We now dive all the way by Elliot Key instead... This weekend we had many boats run up and park their boats right next to us while spearfishing but we didn't say anything... My husband kept moving our boats away from other boaters but its not easy......

Two different times we have had lobster boats trying to pick up there traps and come so close to my divers... WOW!

What can you do when fishermen start becoming greedy for their catch that they will run you over or make their kids jump infront of you to yell that they will do something to you if you injure them... Ummmm I think times are changing and courtesy is slowly disappearing... People try to be the few that make the difference and practice safety and courtesy...
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Since I only started spearfishing last year we started spearfishing snappers around soldier key back in the day when I was a begginer... We don't go to Soldier key no more but one time there was a man who yelled at us to leave even though we were there first... He tried to yell at me that it was illegal to spearfish there but I told him that was not true and he better check before accusing us and this was last year... Then I think he told his son to jump right infront of my gun when I was about to shoot a snapper.... I didn't see the boy coming because I was so focused on the snapper but as soon as the boy jumped right where I was a freaked out and noticed that these people came along to start problems and harrass us spearfishers.... After that the man yelled and said that if I injured his son with my spear that he would do something to me... Of course I wan't going to do anything to his son because as soon as I realized what they were doing I stopped spearfishing and my husband was telling me we should just leave.... No need to fight with them.... I had no idea that he was gonna have his son walk on the rocks and just jump right infront of me on purpose I think! WOW crazy people! After that I told the man how crazy he is to put his kids in danger like that and I was leaving and he can have the spot... No spot is worth fighting for no matter what... but some people are just seriously crazy and very territorial.... We were there first but they could careless - they just wanted us gone so we left.... So, messed up!

That happened a second time at Soldier Key with another man with two little girls and even though we were there first I told the man please we were here first and he didn't care and I tried to warn him how dangerous it is to have his girls swimming close to us while we were spearfishing so we ended up leaving since they were so rude... The little girls didn't want to jump in the water but the dad forced them and told them to do it.... I could hear the little girl begging her dad to go somewhere else but he said no! I told that man to that I have a daughter and I don't go and tell my daughter to jump where it could be dangerous.... Put it this way if some guys are fishing with hooks and fishing poles I still wouldn't let my daughter jump in close by some fishermen because I wouldn't want her to get hurt or snagged by the hooks...

I just don't understand people at times and their ways of thinking to put their own children in harms way just to take over territory??? how crazy is that??? Man geeee they can have the spot!!!

So, ever since then my husband hates to go to Soldier Key and we no longer go there no more.... We now dive all the way by Elliot Key instead... This weekend we had many boats run up and park their boats right next to us while spearfishing but we didn't say anything... My husband kept moving our boats away from other boaters but its not easy......

Two different times we have had lobster boats trying to pick up there traps and come so close to my divers... WOW!

What can you do when fishermen start becoming greedy for their catch that they will run you over or make their kids jump infront of you to yell that they will do something to you if you injure them... Ummmm I think times are changing and courtesy is slowly disappearing... People try to be the few that make the difference and practice safety and courtesy...

Ever consider videoing this behavior? DCF might be very interested in a man intentionally putting his children in harm's way.
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,295 Officer
    First one there gets the spot. You should have called the trolling boat and asked them how long they were planning to troll over the wreck and came back later.
  • caldnsikcaldnsik Posts: 95 Deckhand
    If the trolling boat was more than 1/4 mile away, Id say you get the spot. If they were less than a 1/4 mile away trolling right towards the spot, Id let them troll by, and anchor up once they passed. Hell, you may cruise around that area and see some pretty bottom you can mark on the GPS.
    "Beer is not a matter of life or death, It is much more important than that!!!"
  • Osprey 225Osprey 225 Posts: 36 Deckhand
    Every one for some reason thinks that every spot is theirs and in every situation they are right,the commercial guys think the whole ocean belongs to them and by fishing an lobstering we are stealing from them,its been like this for years,nothing new,everyone is trying to get the most bang for their buck out of the precious time on the water and get too caught up in who has the right to be there,should we all be courteous to each other,of course!Will we,nope.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TuckerTucker Posts: 126 Officer
    If you interupted or affected his ability to fish then I would say you were in the wrong, but it says worlds about you that you even cared to ask and find out peoples opinions. I probably would have backed off and waited. If he wasnt catching anything anyways then im sure it wouldnt take long for him to move off. As far as people moving in on spear fishers and then asking them to leave, thats like city folk moving next to a chicken house and complaining to the county about the smell. Its just plain stupid. I wouldnt do it because it might put children in harms way in this case but I would be soooooo tempted (tempted being the key word) to put a hole in the bottom of his boat and hope I kept an idiot off the water for at least a short time.
  • Reel UmReel Um Posts: 260 Officer
    Personally I would say you were in the wrong. If a person is trolling spot then he is running back and forth over that area.

He might be 1/4 to 1/2 mile but you KNOW he was working that spot. The ocean is a big place with lots of places to fish/spear.

This is the reason spearos get a bad wrap and even worse when someone is is anchored.

The 300 rule is a generalization. How many time have you marked a spot, anchored and the current swings you in a different direction. Now you are over the limit from a spot and a pain to anchor again for a while.

Move on and be nice
    Reel Um wrote: »
    This is the reason spearos get a bad wrap and even worse when someone is is anchored.

Oje mejito - como que? What are you trying to say about us spearos by saying a judgmental comment such as that?

You can respond to the guy without throwing us in one category you know that right?

You don't think that regular boats that are fishing don't almost run down spearos and divers?

I have gotten hit and run over by fishing boats and knocked on my head for someones carelessness but I don't go
    and put everyone to blame for his reckless driving and coming on our spot when we were there first...

I had another guy do the same on top speed while we were next to our boat freediving and he ignored the flag and my bouy and ran all the way on top of our buddies that just went to freedive down for a black grouper and we waved our guns like crazy so he could see us and shouted for him to turn his motor off but he just cut right though us and looked at me as he slowed down just a little with a who cares face... too bad I didn't have a go pro!

I just shared a story of people coming where we are eventhough we were first and telling their kids to jump in and it didn't matter that the kid jumped right in front of my gun! Eventhough again I was there first but they had such a hate for spearos I guess and so we were the ones who left...

I have had a lobster boat twice come so close to our divers and run all around just to pick up there traps but they don't care... But its not all commercial people it just happened to be that specific person..

Remember we are dealing with individuals and there is no need to categorize and put us spearos down...
    I just want to make that point clear because I have a love for this sport and such an appreciation for divers whether it be snorkelers or tank divers or freediver or spearos... I have an appreciation that I didn't have before and i have a better knowledge about dive flags and distance that I didn't know before because I was a fisherwoman since a babe when my dad shark hunted when I was a toddler and bought me my first snoopey fishing pole...

But I don't think its right to blame spearos for something that one person is making a mistake besides this guy is asking and trying to see if he was in the wrong and thats really good of him to practice better ummm how would you call it... basic rules of courtesy and right and wrong... If he didn't care then he wouldn't bother asking... But he is double checking and asking about how much distance should he have given... So, please no bad mouthing spearos about our rep. based on this thread please...
  • Mr. DemeanorMr. Demeanor Posts: 370 Officer
    As a fisherman, I have run 30 miles to a spot and found a dive flag up. I just hail em on the radio and see whats up. Never had a problem and I have had dive boats and other fishing boats hail me when Im first on a spot. A little communication goes a long way.
  • Capt_GerryCapt_Gerry Posts: 173 Officer
    As a fisherman, I have run 30 miles to a spot and found a dive flag up. I just hail em on the radio and see whats up. Never had a problem and I have had dive boats and other fishing boats hail me when Im first on a spot. A little communication goes a long way.

:Agree
    Changin' Latitudes
  • Reel UmReel Um Posts: 260 Officer
    I just want to make that point clear because I have a love for this sport and such an appreciation for divers whether it be snorkelers or tank divers or freediver or spearos... I have an appreciation that I didn't have before and i have a better knowledge about dive flags and distance that I didn't know before because I was a fisherwoman since a babe when my dad shark hunted when I was a toddler and bought me my first snoopey fishing pole...

But I don't think its right to blame spearos for something that one person is making a mistake besides this guy is asking and trying to see if he was in the wrong and thats really good of him to practice better ummm how would you call it... basic rules of courtesy and right and wrong... If he didn't care then he wouldn't bother asking... But he is double checking and asking about how much distance should he have given... So, please no bad mouthing spearos about our rep. based on this thread please...

Not pointing a finger or directing towards he/she. I think it is admirable the question was asked to learn.

I was merely pointing out the feelings fishermen have towards spearos/divers in general. The 300 ft rule is abused.

Like I said previously, the ocean is a big place with lots to fish. Move on or come back to the number later.
  • quatinquatin Posts: 599 Officer
    Well back to the original topic. If you saw the sport fishing boat was trolling the wreck, you should've let him have the wreck. When I'm trolling, I troll OVER the wreck several times, not just around it in circles. If another boat anchored over it, then it blocks me from doing my pattern.
  • JeepDiverJeepDiver Posts: 704 Officer
    you sure he was trolling? Lot of the times we bottom fish while drifting instead of dropping anchor to see what the action is like, if we aren't sure we want to stay on the spot for long.
  • Reel TeaseReel Tease Posts: 671 Officer
    Like some mentioned before, It wouldn't hurt to get on the radio and try to communicate with the other vessel. I don't agree with you moving in and anchoring, for the simple fact that the other vessel was there first and you never know if he was gonna pick up after trolling and try some quick bottom fishing before moving on. The ocean is huge and full of fish, and communication can go a long way. I usually don't mind sharing a spot, but I don't like those who come right up on me as if I we weren't even there.
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    quatin wrote: »
    Well back to the original topic. If you saw the sport fishing boat was trolling the wreck, you should've let him have the wreck. When I'm trolling, I troll OVER the wreck several times, not just around it in circles. If another boat anchored over it, then it blocks me from doing my pattern.

:signs

As a fisherman and a diver, I can see both points of view.

I however am of the belief that if a fisherman is trolling the area, give him his space and move on.

As a diver, if I am anchored up to a wreck or spot and my flag is up, I expect the same courtesy from the fishermen.

Communication as mentioned above is always the best policy.

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • catfishincatfishin Posts: 976 Officer
    BINGO,NUFF SAID !!!!!!
    :signs

As a fisherman and a diver, I can see both points of view.

I however am of the belief that if a fisherman is trolling the area, give him his space and move on.

As a diver, if I am anchored up to a wreck or spot and my flag is up, I expect the same courtesy from the fishermen.

Communication as mentioned above is always the best policy.

Cheers
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]