Home General Fishing

Shimano friction ring?

cprcpr Posts: 9,301 Admiral
I dunked my reel the other day and took it apart. It needed a cleaning and when removed I rotor off I found this:

I guess that's what's left of my friction ring. I'm wondering if I should get a replacement or seeing it was working fine without it, just forget about it.
"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr

Replies

• Jetex2801Jetex2801 Posts: 540 Officer
    It's still usable without the ring. It's function is keeping the rotor from rotating while bail is open, so it may slam shut on hard cast.. The damage probably occurred by prolonged use with out oiling. A dunk won't do that.

I recommend replacing it, it's cheap and shimano may send you a free one
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,301 Admiral
    Thanks for the info. I clean, oil and grease the grease but didn't know about having to oil the ring. I have 3 symmetries 2 saharas and a stradic. All are more then 4 years, I'll buy a few.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • jaxtownwilliejaxtownwillie Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    yes, u can use it without the friction ring. the black ones r the one that fall apart. shimano will send u a free replacement if u complain enough. the replacement is blue and lasts almost forever. I have had to change out a lot of these.