Need a Good Rod Recommendation

After watching PH80 post photos of all those wahoo he’s been catching the last couple of years, I’ve got to figure out how to do that using some of those high-speed trolling lures like the Panhandler from Half Hitch. Might as well have that thing deployed as we hop from spot to spot during our bottom fishing trips this coming summer. Never caught a wahoo & that would be spectacular to do.

However, I currently don’t really have the right gear for that. So, I’m in the market for a 2-speed lever drag reel and have narrowed it down to either the PENN Squall 30 VSW or the Shimano TLD 30A. Now here’s my question............what rod should I pair it with?

Keep in mind 1) I don’t want to break the bank; so, max budget of about $200; and 2) I want a dual purpose rod for the high-speed wahoo trolling set-up mentioned above BUT, also serve as a good bottom fishing rod (snapper, grouper, etc.).

Give me your thoughts & recommendations............Thanks in advance!

P.S. - while we’re at it, give me your thoughts on what line to spool it with.

Livin' the Dream !

Replies

• 85okhai85okhai Posts: 246 Officer
    i would really look into the half hitch trolling rods. good rod for the price.
    I'd also spool it with some jerry brown hollow core and splice a mono top shot
    8aa18353-93c1-47d9-a69d-05a47ee5322c.jpg
  • LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,187 Officer
    I appreciate the input, 85okhai.

Livin' the Dream !
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,028 Moderator
    Good luck finding a panhandler. Pretty sure.the.guy.quit making them.

As to "two speed lever drag"... Really not necessary.

When you say "high.speed", how high speed are you talking? Not sure if your boat will economically run.at 13-15 knots, but if it will, you can pull 10 -.11 oz lures all day.with simple tackle and no additional trolling lead. This is of course a low.profile lure. Yozuti bonito, and lipped plugs max.out.at 10 knots or.so.

When I say simple tackle, I'm.talking 6/0 simple. Drag.set.just.tight enough.to keep line on.spool. Remember not to pull boat back immediately after strike. And always keep boat fwd during fight.

No real need to go high.dollar braid.either for poor mans high.speeding. I load.up my reels with 60 braid, then a good knot (bimini to improved.albright, or FG) to about 100 yards of mono. Bimini at mono, offshore swivel knot to a ball bearing.snap.swivel. That to apanhandler.style.lure. I'll have 2-3 of.these.on.board.dedicated.to.trolling between spots. Because dedicated, I can have all that 100 percent knot.strength rigging going on. This also allows you.to.fish lighter.line. Power.pro.is.fine.

Rather than an all purpose semi high.dollar outfit, you'd be better off with a.m.cheaper dedicated.outfit. Speaking from experience, if.the.trolling rods.are.not.rigged.and ready ALL.time (because you bottom fished with it) you.won't pull that often.

Besides, you couldn't pay me to bottom fish real fish with a penn squall, and I'd prefer.to.steer.clear of tld.

Rod wise, you want some flex at Tip, then fairly rigid through butt section. Maybe 6.5 ft. 100 yards of mono is great.shock.absorber, but if you get too long.a rod with too.slow.an.action, it will tend to lurch the lure causing it to skip out in a sea. Constant pressure on lure better. Once.skipped out.water, it'll really load.rod.up.and then skip it even.worse. All of this gets worse.rougher it gets. Think low.to water and.constant pressure . Whatever line / rod / distance creates this is best.

Honestly, a red 6/0 in good.condition on.a 6' cheap stand up rod is really.all you need. That'll catch a dozen fish no problem.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
    Thanks for all of the info PH. That's very helpful. Hate to hear that about the panhandlers. Glad we got the one below at Half Hitch last summer (even though we only used it once and had no idea what we were doing).

Good to know about the tackle. I'm all about the "poor man's" methods. Especially since we only get to come down 5-6 times a year and we're still in that learning mode. We've already got some good 6/0's that should fit the bill then. Your description of the rod needed (rigid butt section with flex tip) is exactly the info I was curious about....that makes a lot of sense....as does the drag setting & boat control..

With regard to the 100-yds of mono, what pound test would you recommend?

Livin' the Dream !
    0That's a good color.

I run probably 100 yd mono top shot. Behind it, all braid. My reels are old.Penn 30 internationals, a makaira 30 and.a good shape.US.penn 6/0.

I'm spooled with 60 braid, to 60 mono. That connection.either.bimini to.improved Albright, or fg knot. Mono ends in bimini then.swivel knot to.snap.swivel. This means near hundred percent break strength.at knots.

Keep in mind,.I'm pulling lures.at 13-14 knots due to boat.design. Ifyou start getting.above 15 knots, things.change a little in terms of tackle.

That being.said, a lure in.water is a lure in.water. If you can.keep.it there at any.speed.then give it a shot. Just keep in mind.that if its taking.a lot.of.drag.to keep.line on spool, then that leaves little drag:lb test margin.

Whatever speed / lure you run, put it on least drag required to keep line onbreel (yes, this.east.to.do with.star.drag).... Then pull boat.back.and.test.drag. Great knots.with.60 lb mono.and low profile lures work great on wahoo up To 90 lbs....... AT 13.5 knots. Maybe.14. Past that, I have.no first hand experience. At that.speed with 60lb line and 10-12 oz lures,.I catch 1-3 each trip and have lose very few once hooked.up.

My.speed is not true high.speed trolling, though. If.your.boat.can't.run.efficiently.there.and you must.go 18 plus,.then game changes. If you.need to.go.7-8 between.spots.then id say pull.lipped.plugs.and then.different.colors./ action up top.... A more traditional.spread if.you will.
  • grouperdawggrouperdawg Posts: 296 Deckhand
    When we high speed troll for hoos we go a little faster, up to 20 knots. We usually just run two rods with lead to keep it in the water. Like panhandler said, if you go that fast you need some pretty big reels and we use bent butts. If you don't have pretty big reel the drags can't hold it unless you lock it down and then the line will break, we use 50s

That being said we used to catch a fair amount of wahoo at faster speeds but not high speed using weighted bullet type lures and ballyhoo.
    When we high speed troll for hoos we go a little faster, up to 20 knots. We usually just run two rods with lead to keep it in the water. Like panhandler said, if you go that fast you need some pretty big reels and we use bent butts. If you don't have pretty big reel the drags can't hold it unless you lock it down and then the line will break, we use 50s

That being said we used to catch a fair amount of wahoo at faster speeds but not high speed using weighted bullet type lures and ballyhoo.

Like I said initially, a lot of what / how you pull depends on.what you call "high speed trolling". Certainly 13.5 - 14 knots (my cruise) is faster than average trolling. Anyway,.I've pulled.this.style lure up to 20 with aforementioned tackle. Granted this was in a bay boat (extremely.close to water surface) and slick calm. The whole beauty of a 10 oz (guessing here) lure of that style is you can get away with no trolling lead in most conditions if you keep it under 15 knots or so. No trolling lead means you can get away with lighter tackle. Although when I pull behind bay boat I do step up to makaira 30 (pretty much your typical 50, just a touch less) from my old penn 30s. Works for me. Keep in mind, I'm also only pulling 1 -.3 lines, and just between.spots if I make a move more than a mile. I'm not zig zaggung a ledge at 22 knots with 5 lines out of reels 5' above water line.. As to the ballyhoo... Of course not.
    I havnt done it n a while but I think there's more hoos around pc than people think, my cousin and I screwed around for fun seven or eight years ago and caught a bunch of snakes all within fifteen miles on ballyhoo
    I havnt done it n a while but I think there's more hoos around pc than people think, my cousin and I screwed around for fun seven or eight years ago and caught a bunch of snakes all within fifteen miles on ballyhoo

No doubt.about it. I do think it goes in 3-4 year spells though. Past couple years have been thick. Hopefully it continues. Maybe its global warming.... If so, I'll happily continue doing my part. Wahoo sure are tasty, and equally pretty!
    Just reskirted this blue, black and.silver booger. Need to GO FISHING.

WP_000833_zpse4e3024c.jpg
    Just reskirted this blue, black and.silver booger. Need to GO FISHING.

WP_000833_zpse4e3024c.jpg

Those are good looking. What's your favorite color? Or, does your color choice depend on certain conditions?

Livin' the Dream !
    No real favorite color. Bigger fish typically come on darker lures. Brighter get a touch more action. True blue water I want to have whites , blues, pinks out for sure. Dark or stained water you want your darks out definitely. But, I'm of the general opinion that amost any lure that stays in water lure pulled by a hungry wahoo will get hit. Color schemes catch more people than fish.... By far.
    Color schemes catch more people than fish.... By far.

There's no doubt about that!! HaHa!!

Livin' the Dream !
  • 85okhai85okhai Posts: 246 Officer
    thats a bummer that the guy stopped making the panhandlers. i hope to catch a lot more wahoo this year. :fishing
    8aa18353-93c1-47d9-a69d-05a47ee5322c.jpg
    I gave a buddy one of my two tiagras 50s bc I was never using them but with the bottom fishing regs I may need to rethink that. This thread has me kinda fired up about targeting some wahoo

If I were a wahoo I'd eat all of those three!!