Home Angler On Foot

Pompano in South Florida ?

jriverajrivera Posts: 171 Deckhand
Anyone know if these guys ever make it to the Fort Lauderdale and Miami waters in the winter and spring ? Been dying to try at them with some sand fleas or banana jigs but don't know if they make it that far south ?

Replies

• sammy2189sammy2189 Posts: 998 Officer
    Yes
    Hobie outback
  • SouthJettySouthJetty Posts: 588 Officer
    Not this year...winter hasn't been extreme enough to drive them that far south....water temps in central florida are about 66-68 degrees..maybe next year.
    You shoulda been here yesterday.
  • jriverajrivera Posts: 171 Deckhand
    Thanks for the feedback appreciate it.
  • HJaredHJared Posts: 225 Deckhand
    U can find them for sure just not in numbers at the moment I caught one today in lauderdale
  • snippersnipper Posts: 524 Officer
    yes. they're pretty easy to catch. learn how to read the beach and you'll catch plenty.
    Good to hear think I might hit a spot that that I tried earlier last year for them. @HJared were you using bait or jigs ?
  • bigyellowtunabigyellowtuna Posts: 250 Deckhand
    when not around in huge #'s they often change what they'll hit. One day it will only be jigs, the next only fleas. Last spring we had some days where they'd hit both.
  • SurfrangerSurfranger Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    jrivera wrote: »
    Anyone know if these guys ever make it to the Fort Lauderdale and Miami waters in the winter and spring ? Been dying to try at them with some sand fleas or banana jigs but don't know if they make it that far south ?

Yes you should be able to catch them thru the next month or two as they transient the inlets. Do not listen to the amateur saying they do not come that far south. Clueless advice, and not even in good intent to top it off.:rotflmao
    Surfranger wrote: »
    Yes you should be able to catch them thru the next month or two as they transient the inlets. Do not listen to the amateur saying they do not come that far south. Clueless advice, and not even in good intent to top it off.:rotflmao
    LOL! Amateur? Before you pass judgement, let me attempt to enlighten you ,Pompano migrate north in the spring when surf/sea temps rise...the "main body" of the fish often travel to South Florida i.e Ft.Lauderdale ONLY when extreme temps up North push them down...BTW...check previous posts on EAST Central/SouthEast Fishing reports--November- January ...proof is in the pudding...multiple limits on Pomps...seems like your the AMATEUR!:grin....Here's a preview:
    IMG_0275_zps16wznyov.jpg[/URL][URL=http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/Masri758/media/IMG_0267_zpsyjfj9omx.jpg.htmlIMG_0897_zpsd29a6664.jpgIMG_0692_zps2744e2fb.jpg
  • evernicevernic Posts: 797 Officer
    SouthJetty wrote: »
    LOL! Amateur? Before you pass judgement, let me attempt to enlighten you ,Pompano migrate north in the spring when surf/sea temps rise...the "main body" of the fish often travel to South Florida i.e Ft.Lauderdale ONLY when extreme temps up North push them down...BTW...check previous posts on EAST Central/SouthEast Fishing reports--November- January ...proof is in the pudding...multiple limits on Pomps...seems like your the AMATEUR!:grin....Here's a preview:
    IMG_0275_zps16wznyov.jpgIMG_0267_zpsyjfj9omx.jpgIMG_0897_zpsd29a6664.jpgIMG_0692_zps2744e2fb.jpg
    I have lived in Ftl/miami for 46 years and they have made it to miami EVERY year including this year as far south as haulover inlet.
    2802 Trophy WA, 2x225Merc EFI's...sunk unamed storm 12-09looking for boat #10
    ENJOY! Catch em' up!
  • bigyellowtunabigyellowtuna Posts: 250 Deckhand
    nabbed one off anglins pier last weekend using a jig. They will be around this month and next on days with strong SE wind.
  • SurfrangerSurfranger Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    SouthJetty wrote: »
    IMG_0275_zps16wznyov.jpgIMG_0267_zpsyjfj9omx.jpgIMG_0897_zpsd29a6664.jpgIMG_0692_zps2744e2fb.jpg

Amateur yes, son, listen I dont even take photos on the good days because I am too **** tired to sort fish for a stupid photo so heres a few randoms you can salivate on. Your first lesson is speak less, listen more. The primary migration of centralized local pompano is from east to west thru each local inlet. I have caught them in 56 and 88 degree water so dont preach about what you think you know and what a fish can and cannot do... LOL Ive done 1000's of hours of fishing son... 10's of thousands of dollars made doing it... LOL.. There are ALWAYS pompano AT EVERY INLET on the east coast of Florida. You are niave to think otherwise and doing the OP injustice by spouting of your initial response. Thats the only reason I post here is when some know it all states something based on the FACT THEY just dont catch them.. Why do you think fish all of a sudden started biting on every beach this week from Matanzas inlet to Jupiter? Cause they were always in the area.. Habit changed, vacated rivers to beaches...offshore to onshore beaches... Here chew on this..son, there are 30lb Permit in Mayport. 100's of pounds swarming central Florida inlets.. Ooo But Permit dont come that far north right...you know this right....this joke of a forum knows this right... LOL. done with you.. silence! Good day! :fishing
    ::blahblah:idiot...trying to impress a recreational audience with a COMMERCIAL catch...get a life!
  • CookinmanCookinman Posts: 880 Officer
    LMAO Pompano ALWAYS traverse the S Fl Coast 2 x each year. That is NEVER The question. The question to ask is how far out ( deep ) they are when they are migrating. They will often skirt the shorelines for many reasons based on the surf conditions the day they pass. They cant ALWAYS travel on days when the surf is stirred up just enough but not too much...lol On the clear days they stay deeper as they travel.
    Thanks for the responses heard some commercial guy at a local pier caught 20 last week using flea's and I witnessed a few caught this past weekend as well.
  • trousertroutmantrousertroutman Posts: 1,363 Officer
    Sonny boy dont preach!!!
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!
  • trousertroutmantrousertroutman Posts: 1,363 Officer
    All hail ranger bob
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!
  • AndrewSAndrewS Posts: 158 Officer
    I don't even like pompano fishing, unless it's April on the beach. LOL! BigJack006.jpg
    evernic wrote: »
    I have lived in Ftl/miami for 46 years and they have made it to miami EVERY year including this year as far south as haulover inlet.
    AndrewS wrote: »
    I don't even like pompano fishing, unless it's April on the beach. LOL! BigJack006.jpg
    I stand corrected...Thanks for enlightening me....Tight lines!