Fall Kings

I've heard a lot about how well the kings are going right now, but I've never really fished much for them and want to finally get some action. I was going to start by looking for bait schools and tolling around them or some reefs with bomber CD30s or freelining some baits into the schools of greenies. Any other thoughts?
Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.

Replies

• Feeding FrenzyFeeding Frenzy Posts: 247 Officer
    The Bomber CD30 series will catch the occassional king, but oftentimes that particular lure is running well beneath where they feed. Kingfish are "Up" feeders, meaning they position themselves under their forage and ambush from below. Thus the reason you oftentimes see kings "Skyrocketing".

That being said, it does not preclude a kingfish from eating a bait at or near the bottom. I, along with plenty of grouper fishermen, have caught plenty of kings on live pinfish while drifting for grouper. One of the things we teach with regard to this type of fishing, is to think "three-dimensionally". By putting out at least three lines at various depth levels (deep, mid-level, and sub-surface), you can more easilly figure out what depth the kings are feeding and then concentrate in that range.

A typical kingfish spread for us is a deep diver (CD30) or a Bomber Long A on a downrigger. The downrigger will allow you to target a specific depth. Our mid level lure will most likely be a Bomber CD 25 or CD 20, or perhaps an X-Rap. A #2 planer will also get a smaller lure down to the middle range and is a great strategy if the forage fish are on the small size. I would recommend painting the planer with black spray paint because the kings and barracuda will eat a shiny new $10.00 planer in a heartbeat.

At the surface level, I really like a rigged ballyhoo with a stinger hook flopping around near the back section of the bait. There are a variety of ways to rig the ballyhoo for kings, but the key is to get it swimming just under the surface.

My experiences have shown that kings and larger spanish and ceros will eat the surface baits in the early morning, low light conditions. As the sun gets higher in the sky, the deeper baits will start to get all the attention. Obviously, you can catch anything at anytime, but these are just some observations that have been proven as the general rule over time.

Kingfish will also set up on the outside perimeter of a bait pod, not necessarilly in it. Tossing a live greenie into the middle of the bait pod will get you the occassional king, but slow or "bump" trolling a live bait around the outside of the pods will produce more fish. Never troll or drive right up to a bait pod thinking it will increase your odds of catching a fish. All this will do is break the school up and send it deep, thus making it harder to relocate. Fish the outside and watch your catch ratio go up.

Hope this helps.

K
    K
  • Angler SystemsAngler Systems Posts: 919 Officer
    The Bomber CD30 series will catch the occassional king, but oftentimes that particular lure is running well beneath where they feed. Kingfish are "Up" feeders, meaning they position themselves under their forage and ambush from below. Thus the reason you oftentimes see kings "Skyrocketing".

That being said, it does not preclude a kingfish from eating a bait at or near the bottom. I, along with plenty of grouper fishermen, have caught plenty of kings on live pinfish while drifting for grouper. One of the things we teach with regard to this type of fishing, is to think "three-dimensionally". By putting out at least three lines at various depth levels (deep, mid-level, and sub-surface), you can more easilly figure out what depth the kings are feeding and then concentrate in that range.

A typical kingfish spread for us is a deep diver (CD30) or a Bomber Long A on a downrigger. The downrigger will allow you to target a specific depth. Our mid level lure will most likely be a Bomber CD 25 or CD 20, or perhaps an X-Rap. A #2 planer will also get a smaller lure down to the middle range and is a great strategy if the forage fish are on the small size. I would recommend painting the planer with black spray paint because the kings and barracuda will eat a shiny new $10.00 planer in a heartbeat.

At the surface level, I really like a rigged ballyhoo with a stinger hook flopping around near the back section of the bait. There are a variety of ways to rig the ballyhoo for kings, but the key is to get it swimming just under the surface.

My experiences have shown that kings and larger spanish and ceros will eat the surface baits in the early morning, low light conditions. As the sun gets higher in the sky, the deeper baits will start to get all the attention. Obviously, you can catch anything at anytime, but these are just some observations that have been proven as the general rule over time.

Kingfish will also set up on the outside perimeter of a bait pod, not necessarilly in it. Tossing a live greenie into the middle of the bait pod will get you the occassional king, but slow or "bump" trolling a live bait around the outside of the pods will produce more fish. Never troll or drive right up to a bait pod thinking it will increase your odds of catching a fish. All this will do is break the school up and send it deep, thus making it harder to relocate. Fish the outside and watch your catch ratio go up.

Hope this helps.

K

OUTSTANDING KEVIN
    Thx Jeff. Just FYI for anyone that may be interested, there will be a Free Kingfish seminar at the Sarasota West Marine Flagship store this upcoming Thursday (Oct 6th) at 6:30 pm. Good time to pick up a few tips or even a refresher.

K
    K
    Great Kevin, hope to see ya their. Maybe a beer afterwards if things aline that way....
    Beer and wings at Gecko's. Sounds good to me...
    K
  • FlatzBrokeFlatzBroke Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    grouper and beer sounds even better....
  • Shaun31Shaun31 Posts: 150 Officer
    I will be there!
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Posts: 525 Officer
    Thanks everyone. Hoping to get rid of this wind for a trip out on Saturday.
    Shaun31 wrote: »
    I will be there!

Great, introduce yourself and grab a beer with us.
  • Shaun31Shaun31 Posts: 150 Officer
    Sounds great! How will I recognize you all?
    Shaun, there wont be any doubt. If your coming to the seminar, just introduce yourself at some point at the beginning. We have fun at the seminars and it is a great way to meet new fishing folks. The beer afterwards is just iceing on the cake.
    K
  • E.R. A/CE.R. A/C Posts: 88 Greenhorn
    Another way to catch kings is to SLOOOOWW I mean slow troll a Threadfin or Bluerunner. If you want to catch a smoker size king slow troll a ladyfish or a 12 to 16 inch spanish mackeral...
  • Mr. DemeanorMr. Demeanor Posts: 370 Officer
    Two weeks ago my buddy caught two smokers in 70' with live bait on the bottom. They had been trolling and nothing. Dropped some liveies down for grouper and got snipped off a few times real quick. Rerigged for toothy critters and game on. Dont know why they were holding close to the bottom but...they were.

See you guys Thursday.
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Posts: 525 Officer
    Sounds great. Might go to that seminar myself.
    See you guys Thursday.

Really...cool. Bring a couple Flag Poles up as I need another one.
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    We were fishing the M reefs last April, anchored and hoping for something good off the bottom. We threw out a couple free lined sardines with no weight just for fun because we knew the kings were in. We ended up catching 3 nice sized kings and would have caught more but we ran out of sardines. Not sure if there is any difference between spring and fall, but it worked for us that day
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]