Menhaden Maulers aka Largemouth Bass, Lake Harney area

Located some bait again today and the Largemouth and several nice stripers were close behind. Just my wife and I today. Put 15 in the boat. My wife caught the 3 biggest at 4#+, just under 4# and 3#10oz.

MirrOLure's ruled the day - Medium MirrOdine and Large MirroMinnow

Autopsies performed @ the lab and the results are as one might expect...full of menhaden.

Surprisingly what did NOT work today was one of everyone's old faithfuls...the Rattle Trap.

Weather permitting, we will be running up again tomorrow. A Few pics attached
When Practice meets opportunity, Set-The-Hook!

Replies

• BackyardAnglerBackyardAngler Posts: 356 Deckhand
    That's an awesome day. Good to see some good fish pictures. That seems to be a unique fishery where you are, good stuff.
  • RealSeabeeRealSeabee Posts: 583 Officer
    no great report today but a bit of a good short story. The fishing first: The water moved down 7 degrees overnight which as I found out pushed the fish down about two water columns deeper. I did not really have anything to use down there with the howling wind opposite the current all day. I Did manage two quality Largemouth early on this morning when they popped up once.

There was a tournament on the St John's today (I did not know) and a boat pulled in slow but right through us (there was another boat across working the schoolies) then he asked if they were schooling which got a short answer from a bud in my boat "were until you drove through them" so they moved down about casting distance away. They proceeded to pull out bait about like ours and did not get any after a few throws (like us) so they switched to Bama Rigs. I had to watch them (because I did not bring any) put together a 29# bag right there. The kewl thing, when they caught a Striper they asked if I was keeping them...YEP. Never had a tourney guy do that. They hadn't been up that way so I answered a few "location" questions and they were off. Also, on the point out near to where I was working, a 12.42#'er was pulled in...Swim Bait, Berkley Power Bait.
    When Practice meets opportunity, Set-The-Hook!
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,704 Moderator
    A-rig will wack them when they sound. That's a good bag.
    "You'll get your weather"