Home Egret Boats

Look out Pro XS...

mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
I just heard back from the folks re-powering my skiff that it will be ready to go on Friday! Testing of Props is now being done with the first run my old Yammie 21 pitch prop doing 52 mph but hitting the rev limiter. Looks like a 23 pitch is going to be necessary to bring the rpm's down a little. Flats boy whoever told you an 18 pitch was the right prop got it wrong! :nono I had them replace those plastic scuppers under the motor mounts with stainless. I do not trust those plastics, especially under the water line. They also found a leak in the helm which will be replaced. Just to be safe I had all the fuel lines including the bulb replaced too. Looks like my 2008 Odysseys will need to be replaced as well. I'll be doing a shakedown on Friday or Saturday to make sure all is well. Anything else I should be looking at?

Replies

• Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 952 Officer
    mtd885 wrote: »
    I just heard back from the folks re-powering my skiff that it will be ready to go on Friday! Testing of Props is now being done with the first run my old Yammie 21 pitch prop doing 52 mph but hitting the rev limiter. Looks like a 23 pitch is going to be necessary to bring the rpm's down a little. Flats boy whoever told you an 18 pitch was the right prop got it wrong! :nono I had them replace those plastic scuppers under the motor mounts with stainless. I do not trust those plastics, especially under the water line. They also found a leak in the helm which will be replaced. Just to be safe I had all the fuel lines including the bulb replaced too. Looks like my 2008 Odysseys will need to be replaced as well. I'll be doing a shakedown on Friday or Saturday to make sure all is well. Anything else I should be looking at?

I dislike the odysees. If they run too low your charger may not be able to charge them unless you first jump them to trick the charger to recognize the battery is there. But if it doesnt charge you wont know until you get ready to go and find it didnt and then its too late. A real pain in the ****. I have had two of them and got rid of them. I have a brand new one if you want it. I used it once and then replaced it with an Optima which does not have the same charging risk. After an bunch of talk directly with Odysee I finally got them to admit this charging thing is a design thing and it just is what it is. I have to know 100% that if I plug my charger in to go, that the battery is going to be recognized and charged now matter how drained it may be. With odysee you don't have that same 100% assurance. Less risk if you have the stealth system I suppose but if your boat sits for a while and the batteries drain over say the winter etc if they are not continually on a trickle charge, it is likely to be a problem.
    It happened to me twice - and that is the end of that. Never any issue with the Optimas.
    I think it is important NOT to mix and match though. Get all of the same type.
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    Glen, These 1500's are 08's, pretty good longevity and they are not truly done. They just test borderline and I do not want anything to think about for the rest of the year (and the next and the next etc). I'm going to stick with Odyssey for now. Let me know about the one you have.\
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    Odysseys are not what they used to be- military quality.
    Now you'll replace under warranty once
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
    I just spoke with the guys and my spare Turbo Prop 23 pitch had the boat going 55 mph!!! Thankfully I did not put the prop I ordered on the skiff so I can return it for another size. I'm told I could go up in diameter and down to 21 pitch as an option. Would this give me a better hole shot? It seems like gas consumption would be a little better with the larger diameter. The thoughts of others...
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 952 Officer
    Glen, These 1500's are 08's, pretty good longevity and they are not truly done. They just test borderline and I do not want anything to think about for the rest of the year (and the next and the next etc). I'm going to stick with Odyssey for now. Let me know about the one you have.\

I wont be back down there until May if you want to wait until then. I'll give it to you 1/2 off plus a couple of coffees.
    I wont be back down there until May if you want to wait until then. I'll give it to you 1/2 off plus a couple of coffees.

I owe you 2lbs, Ive not forgotten. It is sitting in the G35 in Hallandale. I'll make you a fresh batch as soon as the dust settles. We got the PRock done!!! Cost was less than estimated and a great job by dot palm out of Marathon. May!!! Geez, you are working too hard...LOL
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,392 Officer

Glad to see the props you have are working. The diameter of the prop will effect pitch. Smaller diameter prop larger pitch larger diameter smaller pitch! So it depend on what yours are and those turbo props are know to be way out of pitch!

By the way all the new Four Stroke Mercury's 75-150 do no require a fuel bulb. From Mercury Marine

No primer bulb used on these (new) design 4-strokes.

Engine utilizes a FSM (Fuel System Module), which is equipped with a LIFT pump. Float in the FSM is ELECTRONIC (therefore, if a primer bulb were installed, the system would be easily OVERFILLED by pumping the bulb).

Make sure if they have one installed they remove it!
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    Odysseys are not what they used to be- military quality.
    Now you'll replace under warranty once

The Optima is a great one. I just received Lithium batteries that are going in my boat. I shaved allot of weight out. I waited till I found a proven design. If you are still up here later in the day Friday I want to catch up and have a bite somewhere.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand

By the way all the new Four Stroke Mercury's 75-150 do no require a fuel bulb. From Mercury Marine

No primer bulb used on these (new) design 4-strokes.

Engine utilizes a FSM (Fuel System Module), which is equipped with a LIFT pump. Float in the FSM is ELECTRONIC (therefore, if a primer bulb were installed, the system would be easily OVERFILLED by pumping the bulb).

Make sure if they have one installed they remove it!

Interesting change in technology. How do you prime the water separator filter then if you've just emptied the bowl of water? Do you have to fill the bowl with gas first? Just crank the starter till it fills?
    I hear ya Phil. That Turbo just came back from Frank n Jimmies so it is spot on. Not knowing about the bulb I told them to replace everything including the bulb. These folks are super thorough and have gone over the boat for me. I'm not sure what i want to order for a backup prop. Phil, does Frank know about your lithium battery popping? Frank, I'll check with you by phone.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    If its a lift pump then the key turned on and not starting the engine should activate the pump and prime the filter.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
    mbowers wrote: »
    Interesting change in technology. How do you prime the water separator filter then if you've just emptied the bowl of water? Do you have to fill the bowl with gas first? Just crank the starter till it fills?

It not a change in technology the Verado line has been using a lift pump since day one!
    Since I do not own one of these motors. I can only comment on what I was told by Mercury Marine.
    Any fuel water separator with a bowl attachment that can be drained for water condensation or debris. Once drained the filter canister still has ample fuel inside and is still under positive pressure. Fuel will still flow when drawn from by the motor fuel pump or primer bulb since the bowl is the only part that drains.
    I hear ya Phil. That Turbo just came back from Frank n Jimmies so it is spot on. Not knowing about the bulb I told them to replace everything including the bulb. These folks are super thorough and have gone over the boat for me. I'm not sure what i want to order for a backup prop.

Glad to see you got the prop worked on and your boat is ready to rip again!
    Sadly I'm stuck with an Enertia 18 pitch Phil. Do you know and dealers willing to swap it for a 23 pitch? It's never been out of the box.
    Try Ken at Prop Gods
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    It not a change in technology the Verado line has been using a lift pump since day one!
    <snip>
    Any fuel water separator with a bowl attachment that can be drained for water condensation or debris. Once drained the filter canister still has ample fuel inside and is still under positive pressure. Fuel will still flow when drawn from by the motor fuel pump or primer bulb since the bowl is the only part that drains.

Fair enough not totally new tech but still fairly new.

When the bowl has been drained there's no pressure left in the system. I've had trouble a couple of times if I don't run the boat immediately after draining and get the bowl to fill. It seems like maybe a vapor lock issue rather than just air in bowl. I had to crack the bowl drain and pump the bulb until the bowl filled to get fuel to the engine. Just pumping the bulb was not enough. A two person job on new boat with bowl so far away from the bulb..

We've done the same thing on Monoman's boat to clear water a few times.. :)
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    mbowers wrote: »

. I've had trouble a couple of times .. :)

Shocking.
    I had them replace those plastic scuppers under the motor mounts with stainless. I do not trust those plastics, especially under the water line. Anything else I should be looking at?

Are you talking about the livewell drains? Plastic is actually a really good choice because it doesn't corrode from any typical marine cause. Jim Gardiner is a very smart man and most of his rigging choices in the original boats, like where to use plastic, were carefully thought out. Stainless can be a bad choice for under water through hulls: do some online searching. My 2012 boat has bronze fittings for those through hulls and I think Robbie mentioned corrosion trouble when the factory tried to use stainless for those livewell through hulls. Keep an eye on them or ask factory / Flatsboy for more info.
    See pics on the Ameracat thread...;)