When you buy a used vehicle

rrbgttrrbgtt Posts: 6,758 Admiral
and the previous owner says, "I just pust a new timing belt in it."; don't believe him. He's a sorry no good lyin' piece of ****!

IMAG0098.jpg
From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned bobcat!

Replies

• CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    looks like it had other problems.. What car? Timing belts suck.... Was it an interference engine?
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • rrbgttrrbgtt Posts: 6,758 Admiral
    CaptTater wrote: »
    looks like it had other problems.. What car? Timing belts suck.... Was it an interference engine?

The Toyota 4 runner that I bought for my daughter about 6 months ago. I know I should have checked it, but the guy told me had just changed it, after the deal was done. I didn't even ask him.
    I believe it is a non-interference engine. I googled it and got charts with both answers, but the manual "suggests" that it's non-interference. I was driving it when it happened and think I would have felt or heard valves and pistons meeting. 1990 V6
    From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned bobcat!
  • showmanshowman Posts: 539 Officer
    Oh, that is bad. I have been looking at one for a second vehicle for the wife to drive to work and tow our Jon boat. What kind of fuel mileage were you getting?
    showman wrote: »
    Oh, that is bad. I have been looking at one for a second vehicle for the wife to drive to work and tow our Jon boat. What kind of fuel mileage were you getting?

Since it is a non-interference engine, it's just a matter of a new timing belt kit and put it back together. It gets about 17mpg on the interstate and around 14 in town.
  • Look Out BelowLook Out Below MiccoPosts: 3,820 Moderator
    Look at it this way, you didn't have anything better to do and now you know it's fix. lol
    smilie_dance.gif
    Look at it this way, you didn't have anything better to do and now you know it's fix. lol

The problem is, my mechanic is living in Ga going to college...
  • TripleXTripleX Posts: 1,770 Moderator
    ROAD TRIP!!!! Trailer that bad boy up there...
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    always see for yourself. I trust no one!
    friedpeacocks.jpg
    always see for yourself. I trust no one!
    Or get a chevy with a timing chain. :P Rusty learned his lesson. And that Toy gets about the same mileage my 2500 diesel Suburban gets but my kid's never getting a vehicle that has enough room for a bed in the back.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
    Or get a chevy with a timing chain. :P Rusty learned his lesson. And that Toy gets about the same mileage my 2500 diesel Suburban gets but my kid's never getting a vehicle that has enough room for a bed in the back.

That won't help. I don't ever remember saying, "I would baby, but there just isn't enough room in here.":)
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,377 AG
    My daughter (15 yrs old) placed me in a mild coma last week when she asked me to start looking for her a car....One of her best friends father (meathead) bought his little girl (15 years old also) her first car a few weeks back. Way to soon for me to be hearing this from her.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • reeljobreeljob Posts: 385 Officer
    I am sure that he did just put a timing belt in. Just not in that car:p
    I was born with nothing, and I have most of it left.
    rrbgtt wrote: »
    That won't help. I don't ever remember saying, "I would baby, but there just isn't enough room in here.":)
    I ain't enabling that monkey business(of course I'm 11+yrs away I hope". Besides my kids aren't allowed to date until A: I'm dead or B: they finish college.
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 7,951 Admiral
    I bought my first car when I was 15 ($50 for a 1941 Ford flathead V8 Coupe')... no problems ... I was astounded when I got to college and met kids my own age who didn't know how to drive

The sooner a kid learns to drive the sooner they can develope the skill necessary to operate a vehicle
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,411 Captain
    Maybe he did replace it but he's just not good at it...
  • gmiller0737gmiller0737 Posts: 647 Officer
    Do your self a favor & don't just buy the belt Get A Complete Timing Kit that should include the belt + Idler & Tensioner pulleys & Replace the water pump while your in there.
    Do your self a favor & don't just buy the belt Get A Complete Timing Kit that should include the belt + Idler & Tensioner pulleys & Replace the water pump while your in there.

Front main seal going in also.:thumbsup
  • CoxsterCoxster Posts: 3,086 Captain
    fins4me wrote: »
    My daughter (15 yrs old) placed me in a mild coma last week when she asked me to start looking for her a car....One of her best friends father (meathead) bought his little girl (15 years old also) her first car a few weeks back. Way to soon for me to be hearing this from her.

A red Mustang. Buy her a red Mustang. All those young cuties look good driving a red Mustang. They already know how to charm a man, so speeding tickets won't be an issue, so get her a Mustang, a red one...a be sure she wears her seatbelt. Someday, you'll thank me for this.
  • fins4mefins4me Posts: 14,377 AG
    NO!!

A caution tape yellow 1974 LTD.
    ALLISON XB 21,, MERCURY 300 Opti Max Pro Series (Slightly Modified) You can't catch me!!!
    "Today is MINE"
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 AG
    Looks expensive.
    FSU is the best football team of all time!
  • rceggrcegg Posts: 79 Greenhorn
    Looks like you got japed on that deal
    That's better.

IMAG0101.jpg
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    That was quick! Who'd done it?
    tffflogocopy_zps48a02f99.jpg
  • vettepickingvettepicking Posts: 85 Deckhand
    make sure you spend the extra money and do the water pump and thermostat also. GL

i see the new pics good work
    got ants? wrote: »
    That was quick! Who'd done it?

Garrett's still in Ga, so that just leaves me....
    Yer pulleys ain't lined up bro.
    Yer pulleys ain't lined up bro.

Sure they are. I don't know what all those white marks were for. Apparently the previous owner had some type of plan????:shrug There are easy to see arrows and marks on the pulleys and motor.
    She's purrin' like a kitten.:thumbsup

IMAG0103.jpg
  • Mrcrack247Mrcrack247 Posts: 36 Deckhand
    Nice 4runner. As long you take care if it, the 4runner will last twice as long as any chevy ****....:driver
    Mrcrack247 wrote: »
    Nice 4runner. As long you take care if it, the 4runner will last twice as long as any chevy ****....:driver

I think they will all last forever, as long as you fix eveything that breaks.....
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 5,417 Admiral
    How many miles are on the vehicle? Just curious as I have a Toyota truck that has the similar motor. Just turned 70K and haven't done any preventive maintenance on it yet.