Venice LA 2-13

Seeing that these fronts keep rolling through and work has gotten in the way of the few good days, I'll post a report from my trip the other day.

Went over to Venice and fished with Travis Mayeux of Mexican Gulf Fishing Company. We went out on Billy Wells 37' Freeman, which is possible the baddest center console made (and I've fished most of the big ones). Conditions were 4-6' true seas until around 1pm and it laid down to 2-3'. The freeman ate the seas up and I was very impressed, I'll say the ride is better than the 39' v hulls which I didn't think was possible.

On to the fishing: we drifted and chunked around the horseshoe rigs and developed a slow bite that turned into an all out feeding frenzy. We caught Blackfin Tuna to 20lbs, kingfish to 50lbs, red snapper to 18 lbs, AJs to 70 lbs and of course YFT up to 150 lbs. I only took pics of the yellowfins as the rest is standard catches around here. We have some awesome video from the 3 gopros I'll post once edited. For now here's a few pics.

Replies

• Top ContenderTop Contender Officer Posts: 599 Officer
    Here's a video of my cousin Jake eating the heart of his first YFT, 150 lbs., like a champ!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F2StQtnWu84
  • RedbonzRedbonz Captain Posts: 4,538 Captain
    They do have some beauties over that way..
    Thanks for sharing...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • TW22TW22 Deckhand Posts: 37 Deckhand
    Nice work! Huge fish!
  • capt louiecapt louie Moderator citrus countyPosts: 9,994 Moderator
    Bucket list. Excellent catch.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • TideUpTideUp Officer Posts: 126 Officer
    Too cool!
    Gainesville Kayak Anglers Club http://www.gkaclub.com
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Captain Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,828 Captain
    Musta been purdy sore after pullin in those super charged feesh!!!!! Did he get a sushi chaser after chompin on that heart??? Excellent post!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • Jim311Jim311 Captain Posts: 4,933 Captain
    Whew, killer catches.
    If you haven't been and have any interest in fishing offshore I highly recommend going! The Mexican Gulf Fishing Company is a top notch group of guys with the best equipment available on some of the best center consoles made.

We fought all of our fish on Shimano Talica 25's and 50's, no harness straight stand up. I've done this before and if you have the technique down it's not bad. The other guys had never caught YFT or even a fish that big so we made them do it the hard way.

To celebrate their first YFT each guy took a bite of the heart, still beating fresh on the deck. Of course these aren't nearly as good as the ahi steaks we had that night, but the taste of success was sweet.
    If you haven't been and have any interest in fishing offshore I highly recommend going! The Mexican Gulf Fishing Company is a top notch group of guys with the best equipment available on some of the best center consoles made.

We fought all of our fish on Shimano Talica 25's and 50's, no harness straight stand up. I've done this before and if you have the technique down it's not bad. The other guys had never caught YFT or even a fish that big so we made them do it the hard way.

To celebrate their first YFT each guy took a bite of the heart, still beating fresh on the deck. Of course these aren't nearly as good as the ahi steaks we had that night, but the taste of success was sweet.

Working on this as of yesterday. The former not the latter :cool:
  • spearjunkyspearjunky Deckhand Posts: 184 Deckhand
    got a trip on june 28 with those guys can't wait
    Spearjunky, You won't be disappointed with those guys. We had good fishing but were having a great time long before we started catching.

Capt Louie, I may try to go back in October. One thing I always ask captains when on a trip is if they could only fish one month out of the year when would it be. Most of the time the answer is either May or October. Travis said October.
  • m9000m9000 Captain Posts: 2,055 Captain
    So much for the Gulf of Mexico being dead from the oil spill.
    Capt Louie, I may try to go back in October. One thing I always ask captains when on a trip is if they could only fish one month out of the year when would it be. Most of the time the answer is either May or October. Travis said October.

Good to know. I was wondering about that. I may get a shot the end of March if it comes together.
    Looks like it's a go !
    Good deal man, hope y'all get some good weather and the fish cooperate!
  • navigator2navigator2 AG Posts: 22,468 AG
    ****! Wish I had a freezer full of yellowfin fillets.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Officer Posts: 1,423 Officer
    Do they clean and bag the fish after the trip? I have no idea how to clean one of those big tunas.
    And about how much is the charter plus fuel and tip?
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
  • spearjunkyspearjunky Deckhand Posts: 184 Deckhand
    my trip will be 3k for 2 nights stay 1 day fishing 1500 for trip 500 for fuel 200 to 300 tip 140 ish to stay 2 rooms 2 night food and stuff =3k
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Officer Posts: 1,423 Officer
    spearjunky wrote: »
    my trip will be 3k for 2 nights stay 1 day fishing 1500 for trip 500 for fuel 200 to 300 tip 140 ish to stay 2 rooms 2 night food and stuff =3k

Thanks.
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
    Yes they will clean you provide the bags. My trip was 1500 + 500 fuel + 600 2 nights stay in condo + 700 tip because we had an above average trip, absolute good time the night before and day of and I plan on going back.

Your fuel will fluctuate with time of year and where the fish are and obviously fuel prices. Basically it's a $800 to $1k trip each for 6 guys. By the time you drive out there, eat and blow money on rubber snakes and snap pops or whatever on the way over. You can do it cheaper I'm sure. If you're into offshore fishing you should go once to experience it. I've fished the rigs a few times and I still really enjoy just seeing them, it hasn't lost the cool factor at all to me. Travis Mayeux was an absolute blast to fish with and hang out with. He has a passion for fishing, you can see him getting pumped up in the video. When I go back I'll fish with Travis again and know wether we load the boat or not I'll have a good trip.