Home General Fishing

Flare Hawk question

RaguileraRaguilera Posts: 45 Greenhorn
Could someone please explain how to work (jig) a hawk for snook? Size, colors, leader, reel/rod combo? Thank you

Replies

• agn54agn54 Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    I guess it depends on where you are fishing. I fish flare hawk style jigs in the inlets (Sebastian and Ft Pierce) and there I use a medium or medium/heavy rod, 5000 stradic, 30-50lb Power Pro with 30-40lb Flouro leader. I don't jig it at all, jut cast it out and real it in slowly with the rod tip up a bit so the jig swims just above the rocks. Expect to lose a few to the rocks. If you don't get hung up occasionally, you're probably fishing it too fast and high in the column.
  • jamesbrownsplitjamesbrownsplit Posts: 214 Deckhand
    Hit the nail on the head.
    You want them bumping the bottom. I like to use the lightest weight I can get away with. It's almost like I want it being pushed along the bottom by the current. I also like using a loop knot to tie them on. I pretty much exclusively use the chartreuse ones as I really only use them at the spillway.
  • tltypeslowtltypeslow Posts: 159 Deckhand
    If you aren't losing hawks you aren't fishing em right
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    Jigs need to be worked off the bottom most of the time.
  • RaguileraRaguilera Posts: 45 Greenhorn
    Thank you guys very much! I've been fishing with them for years around deep water in Stuart , fl area. However, even tho I've caught snook with them I feel that my hook up ratio is low! I've tried reeling slowly so the current bring it back to me on the bottom and I've also tried jig it too.
    Should I use a lighter rod to feel the bite? But then I won't have the power to set the hook?
    Spillways are the same... I can't seem to hook up ( few and far between)
    Thanks again