Home General Fishing

Tiller Boats

Wade BWade B Posts: 259 Deckhand
Why do you not see tillers down there in the salt?

Replies

• Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    I have a tiller on one of my boats. I don't mind it, but it hurts my neck/back on extended long runs to and from my fishing spot.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,187 Admiral
    This ^^ is the only reason on your smaller skiffs. Maneuverability plays a big roll in tight places. Extended runs wears on you.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,453 Admiral
    I love my tiller skiff.....less weight, less issues, etc.
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,453 Captain
    I like my E-tec 20 HP a lot! Everyone said it would be tiring to drive, but I don't find that to be the case at all. ...but I know what you mean, it seems to be more of a Walleye thing. ...maybe because it's a little harder to see shallow water and sand bars when sitting in the stern?? Maybe just because... :huh:grin
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,965 Captain
    Tiller skiffs are very handy when you want a minimum skiff with as little to "go wrong" as possible. Many that have one use it as their second skiff - and they're definitely not for everyone. With a tiller you're lighter weight, have more interior room in a small skiff, etc. For those that have never seen them many these days are equipped with an extension connected to the tiller which allows you to stand up an extra three feet or so in front of your motor, so these kinds of rigs are a lot different than what you see up in freshwater areas...

For anyone wanting to learn all there is to know about them (and whether one might be in their future...) just go to Microskiff.com and check out what folks that run, modify, build, etc. skiffs 16' and under are doing. Guarantee it will be an eye opener if you are just learning about working up in shallow waters with a small skiff...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    agreed
    lemaymiami wrote: »
    Tiller skiffs are very handy when you want a minimum skiff with as little to "go wrong" as possible. Many that have one use it as their second skiff - and they're definitely not for everyone. With a tiller you're lighter weight, have more interior room in a small skiff, etc. For those that have never seen them many these days are equipped with an extension connected to the tiller which allows you to stand up an extra three feet or so in front of your motor, so these kinds of rigs are a lot different than what you see up in freshwater areas...

For anyone wanting to learn all there is to know about them (and whether one might be in their future...) just go to Microskiff.com and check out what folks that run, modify, build, etc. skiffs 16' and under are doing. Guarantee it will be an eye opener if you are just learning about working up in shallow waters with a small skiff...
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,511 Captain
    The minimum thing is why I run one. KISS principal.
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    If I was downsizing to a tech skiff, it would be a tiller boat absolutely.
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,438 AG
    A well-powered tiller skiff with a tiller extension and grab bar is a blast
    to drive standing up. The tiller extension gives you leverage against whatever
    torque the motor puts on the tiller and eliminates the back/shoulder strain.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • DinnertimeDinnertime Posts: 57 Deckhand
    Love my gheenoe, 8 yammy.

Think about fishing, not what's broke on a boat, KISS is the word here.
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    Lots of tiller skiffs in Louisiana. Tiller skiffs around here are mostly working boats. The guy next door has a 23' Lake Skiff with a 115 Yamaha tiller motor.
  • Wade BWade B Posts: 259 Deckhand
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,990 Admiral
    Dang..
    A 200 HP rated Tiller Steer....YeeHaw.. :hairraiser
    I could hit an Oyster Bar and eject at 55 MPHour too..:grin
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,925 AG
    Spent five years with my 20 ft Hewes lite tackle as a tiller with a 70 HP Suzuki 4 stroke....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    Dang..
    A 200 HP rated Tiller Steer....YeeHaw.. :hairraiser
    I could hit an Oyster Bar and eject at 55 MPHour too..:grin

250 on the warrior. I'm sure they'll release a 300 hp rated tiller in a year or two.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,511 Captain
    Many moons ago I ran across a drug runner in the Sea of Cortez in a 24' panga with a Johnson 235 tiller. He asked me directions. At the federales office there were several confiscated large pangas with big tiller engines. We hired guides in San Jose del Cabo and they all had 22' pangas with 60 or 90 HP Honda tiller. When we were coming back on the beach each afternoon they would time a wave, gun the engine and ride the wave onto the beach. They'd tilt it just before it hit the sand. Really exciting ride.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,965 Captain
    Forgot to list one other site with lots of tiller skiffs (and ideas for those considering one....) CustomGheenoe.com - well worth a visit...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    The Backtroller series are a nice 17' option and reasonably priced.
    http://www.backtroller.com
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,476 Officer
    I added a second tiller arm just for steering to my 25 hp Rude that powers my 16 ft Lowe, to relieve stress on my throttle arm and hand. In other words, i use both hands/arms to run my small outboard. This second tiller arm slides snugly into a S/S tube that is bolted to the front engine bracket and is notched, so it cannot rotate. It is also slightly longer than the original engine tiller and gives me more leverage for steering. For long runs i can also tuck it under my arm and be hands free for short periods. This comes in handy for example if i need to open a water bottle or adjust my handheld GPS. etc. This second tiller arm is curved in a elongated "S" so if the motor get kicked up it will not smash down into my thigh. For an emergency tight turn i can remove it in a micro second by just pulling it forward and steer with just my throttle hand.
    Giimoozaabi
    These big tillers have fatigue resistant tiller assist. You can actually let go of the tiller handle at WOT and it won't turn without your hand on the tiller handle.
  • SkunkLifeSkunkLife Posts: 545 Officer
    F1sJIgW.jpg pvc tiller ext. pvc grab bar. the fish don't mind.
    Lowbrow Sportsman - "Socially inept since 1985"
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Captain
    I have tiller steering on my jon boat and my biggest complaint "was" reaching the shift lever. I have an older 15HP Mariner and I actually had to reach way back and almost turn around to shift it. This was especially bad when approaching a dock because I was blinded for a few seconds. I cured this problem by fabricating a shift extension which now sticks out in front, like the new small outboards. Took about two hours to build and install and my problem is solved. The tiller steering is cool because it brings me back to the days of my childhood when that's all we had....... You also slow down and get to enjoy what the creeks and rivers have to offer as far as beauty. When running them at 50+mph you miss a lot of that.....
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
  • Amelia PaddlerAmelia Paddler Posts: 488 Deckhand
    Love my tiller skiff, she catches fish just fine...
  • VertigoVertigo Yankeetown, FLPosts: 617 Officer
    I run two tiller skiffs:

482394_573118799365709_1664339890_n.jpg?oh=fe2b23cf59340b5341ea0778ba73e629&oe=558144D8&__gda__=1430832137_32c19d8765b92d4bd6a826fc2adb5cf6

10842309_969976286346623_8930298298012044762_o.jpg
    KISS

Custom Gheenoe LT25 25hp Yammie tiller I can't imagine handling a 115 tiller
    The Original HOTD poster

Starting them young.
  • JIMinPBJIMinPB Posts: 1,875 Captain
    In rough seas, its hard to control a tiller outboard unless you are strapped down really well. Tillers are fine in flat water.
    JIMinPB wrote: »
    In rough seas, its hard to control a tiller outboard unless you are strapped down really well. Tillers are fine in flat water.

Define "rough". Hardcore walleye guys will run WOT 40 MPH+ in 4' chop if needed.
    All for a walleye and a big payout. I couldn't find any good ones of guys running 20' tillers in these conditions but I know they are out there. I've launched and fished next to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKP74j71FNU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5MCvAFEr_I
    In Belize I have fished on Panga's with 60-90hp tillers Although I have never run one with that big of an tiller
    The Original HOTD poster