Home General Fishing

Bearing upgrade on bait caster: Worth the money?

Has anyone upgraded their bearings on their bait casters? Is it worth it? what are the benefits?

Replies

• johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,419 Admiral
    I don't know about other reels but , with my curados each one gained about 10'-12' in casting distance (weightless senkos ,more with heavier baits)..at the end of the day that's a lot.

The only guy I'll deal with for bearings and tg's rocket fuel lube is in the link below. Call him or email him , he'll go out of his to get you hooked up.

http://www.biggreenfish.com/index.htm
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,010 AG
    If you need the extra casting distance, and your thumb is educated enough to handle it, yes.

Casting 5/8oz baitbusters I got about 10-15' like John, but the bearings I was using in the Calcutta were pretty rough.

Your current bearings, however, after a good maintenance and lube, should work almost as good, depending on the brand of your reel and the condition they are in.

So it kind of depends.... What reel are you considering upgrading, and what condition are the bearings in?
  • smooth movesmooth move Posts: 476 Deckhand
    i keep my reels in good shape and use baitcasters almost exclusively. after changing to Boca ceramic bearings, i didn't notice any difference in casting distance, but the reels seemed a little smoother reeling in and the ceramics last longer. surprisingly they are about the same price. all the reels are curado sf's or chronarch sf's btw. i ordered the bearings from the Boca Bearing web site.
    le se' bon ton roulet
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    Has anyone upgraded their bearings on their bait casters? Is it worth it? what are the benefits?

Better casting distance, says this article. Also mentions Carbontex drag upgrade...
    http://fishinglifestyle.net/2012/02/boca-bearings-orange-seal-review-extreme-casting-distance/

Personally, I upgrade drags first, then change bearings as needed. I buy the ABEC 5 ceramic bearings, not ABEC 7's.
  • tailchaser16tailchaser16 Posts: 655 Officer
    Tarponator wrote: »
    What reel are you considering upgrading, and what condition are the bearings in?

I have two Curados E7 that were just cleaned, lubed and I had the drag washers upgraded to Carbontex.

Like Smooth move said, I too use my baitcasters exclusively and keep them in good shape.

Thinking to maybe buy a bearing upgrade for just one and compare side by side.