Home General Fishing

Stern fishing on party boats

EdwardoEdwardo Posts: 17 Deckhand
Why is the stern of a party / head boat considered the best part of the boat to fish from? I have only fished on a few and have heard that that part of the boat catches more fish. Planning a trip to the Keys in April.

Replies

• Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    Maybe that's where the transducer on the boat is, so the captain puts it right on top of structure?
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
  • alvincaminoalvincamino Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    Boat backs up, to the reef. Boat does not anchor above, but backs into, therefore fishing the stern is best place.
  • nightflynightfly Posts: 504 Officer
    Unless your free lining for yellow tails it doesn't matter where your at on the boat. The best spot is away from everybody else on the boat. Fish have tails and fins so they swim around. They don't hang out at the back of the boat. Big party boats have lots of swing to them when they are anchored so you are constantly moving. The best anglers catch the most fish no matter where they are on the boat
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,990 Admiral
    WRONG WRONG.
    The Bow swings with the wind faster than the Stern. All lines start to drag back towards the Stern cause that's where the Current Drag is.
    Shafts and big honkin Props are hanging down and slowing the Drift back there.
    Your lines in the Stern are out of the Cluster.... that,s gonna happen with Butch from Ohio casting and reeling up and down all night.

Edit... Not you nightfly your bout right..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • nightflynightfly Posts: 504 Officer
    WRONG WRONG.
    The Bow swings with the wind faster than the Stern. All lines start to drag back towards the Stern cause that's where the Current Drag is.
    Your lines in the Stern are out of the Cluster.... that,s gonna happen with Butch from Ohio casting and reeling up and down

Yes. Lots of variables come into play. If the guy at mid ship is fishing with a 1/2oz weight and everybody else is fishing with 3oz weights it will be tangle city the whole time for lots of people
    WRONG WRONG.
    Your lines in the Stern are out of the Cluster.... that,s gonna happen with Butch from Ohio casting and reeling up and down all night.

Actually I was right. Booyahkshaw!
  • miamimiami Posts: 55 Deckhand
    When a party boat anchors, most times they designate the stern for yellowtailing. They use chum to fire up the fish. The chum usually drifts straight back and you toss an unweighted bait back to drift with the chum. The fish are already in a frenzy and your bait drifts by and they pounce on it, The sides of the boat people bottom fish with enough weight to take thier bait to the floor. This can be messy, as TRT posted, but if you can't get a stern spot, it can be productive as well. Call the boat a couple days in advance, and reserve a stern spot. Light spinning tackle with 12# mono should hold ya
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,990 Admiral
    FishInFL wrote: »
    Actually I was right. Booyahkshaw!

This was NOT a Win for you....
    Don't let your head swell up. :kick
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    This was NOT a Win for you....
    Don't let your head swell up. :kick

Ohhhh but it was! Don't try to fake the funk on a nasty dunk next time, maybe you will learn something! Bam!
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    nightfly wrote: »
    Unless your free lining for yellow tails it doesn't matter where your at on the boat. The best spot is away from everybody else on the boat. Fish have tails and fins so they swim around. They don't hang out at the back of the boat. Big party boats have lots of swing to them when they are anchored so you are constantly moving. The best anglers catch the most fish no matter where they are on the boat

This. Don't buy into the hype.
  • miami wrote: »
    When a party boat anchors, most times they designate the stern for yellowtailing. They use chum to fire up the fish. The chum usually drifts straight back and you toss an unweighted bait back to drift with the chum. The fish are already in a frenzy and your bait drifts by and they pounce on it, The sides of the boat people bottom fish with enough weight to take thier bait to the floor. This can be messy, as TRT posted, but if you can't get a stern spot, it can be productive as well. Call the boat a couple days in advance, and reserve a stern spot. Light spinning tackle with 12# mono should hold ya

Also keep in mind that some boats charge extra for a stern spot for yellow tailing so be sure to ask.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,094 Officer
    I guess it largely depends if you are anchored or drifting. On the East coast I've been on boats that drift along the reef /w current, and even one boat that had all 12 anglers fish the same side with equal weights, no one off the stern or bow (except a flat line off each). This worked well.
    Over here on the West coast I've seen them mostly anchor on rock piles and ledges, rarely drifting hard bottom. This is when the swing of the boat and different weighted lines become more of an issue and lines go back.

I like those smaller party boats that take one to two dozen people. We had a blast on one a few years back called Seahorse, I think out of Palm Beach. We (my son and I) caught lots of yellowtail, a few muttons, a couple black grouper, a few rainbow runners, and bonita on flatline.
  • RaymoRaymo Posts: 208 Deckhand
    if the anchor is on the front of the boat, the back of the boat will swing more than the front... when the captain comes out to fish, where does he fish? /thread
  • XafXaf Posts: 1,105 Officer
    I know a lot of experienced party boat fishermen who stay away from the stern and prefer the bow. Everyone thinks that is the place to fish so you get anglers with all levels of experience there. Having said that there are many different reasons for fishing the stern of a party boat. The main one is the current, you can free line or use a knocker rig without tangling the rest of the boat up. If the fish are following the chum line created by fishing they will reach the baits at the stern first. On many boats the stern is covered or more protected then the bow. People on the bow or sides of the boat may be soaking wet from rain or waves but those on the stern may be not be affected. Depending on the boat many times the regulars know each other and tend to fish the same spots on the stern all the time. Many times it is just more convenient located closer to the bait, bait wells, heads, cabin entrance, etc.
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 AG
    Yup!
    Xaf wrote: »
    there are many different reasons for fishing the stern of a party boat. The main one is the current, you can free line or use a knocker rig without tangling the rest of the boat up. If the fish are following the chum line created by fishing they will reach the baits at the stern first. On many boats the stern is covered or more protected then the bow. People on the bow or sides of the boat may be soaking wet from rain or waves but those on the stern may be not be affected. Depending on the boat many times the regulars know each other and tend to fish the same spots on the stern all the time. Many times it is just more convenient located closer to the bait, bait wells, heads, cabin entrance, etc.

Head boat that I used to go out on started charging $10 premium to reserve a stern spot. They'd had complaints about regulars/locals who always grabbed all the stern spots. Have seen the large majority of pots won by anglers fishing the stern.