Home Egret Boats

Long Key Fishing Advice

HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
Can anyone from down south throw me a bone for fishing near long key this weekend ? It should be blowing out of the east so may work some protected shorelines on mangrove islands.

It will be cloudy so poling the flats may be tough but I'm willing to try anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    If you have no sun and there is wind, you will have to fish blind. Get yourself on a flat near some deeper water and stake near some white sand so you can see at least something. Start chumming with fresh crushed up shrimp and or crabs in the light area. If its frozen it wont work. Couple of Hand fulls every so often. Should have some bones come in pretty quickly if they are around. Have one line out with a baited hook in the chum area as vis wont be so great. Usually takes less than 15 mins. If you see some rays and bonnet heads coming in that is a good sign. If nothing and no signs of life within 15 mins. move to a different area and try it again. Flat in front of the Park is good.
    Its also a good Tarpon spot out off the point at the flat edge but its a little early for the migration there.
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    This is very helpful; thank you. What do you think about doing this near Peterson, Twin, Gopher, or Lignum Vitae Keys?

Also, was thinking of chumming up some snappers to give the GF some action (pause for Saltwater Junkie or OldHewesRed crack on "GF" and "action") Would Twin Key bank or south of Rabbit Keys be the best place for this?

Appreciate the help.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    This is very helpful; thank you. What do you think about doing this near Peterson, Twin, Gopher, or Lignum Vitae Keys?

Also, was thinking of chumming up some snappers to give the GF some action (pause for Saltwater Junkie or OldHewesRed crack on "GF" and "action") Would Twin Key bank or south of Rabbit Keys be the best place for this?

Appreciate the help.

One day you're going to be dirty old man...You're supposed to do that in the tent:grin

If you go out to 8 to 10 feet of water and chum you should have a few Spanish Mackerel and snappers within 30 minutes or so. Good Luck... Pete
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer

Appreciate the help.

Those channels at Rabbit are excellent for snapper fishing. Long Key Oceanside can be a hot spot for Tarpon when they are in. The patch reefs will produce with chum.
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    I hope you've seen this.
    http://forecast.weather.gov/shmrn.php?mz=gmz053

I cancelled a trip to Ramrod this weekend.
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,392 Officer
    I hope you've seen this.
    http://forecast.weather.gov/shmrn.php?mz=gmz053

I cancelled a trip to Ramrod this weekend.

I like this link to weather better:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mfl/

Just move the mouse to the area where you want the forecast for and click.
    Yes I have seen it. It is what it is. Maybe I should cancel. As it is I was thinking of targeting protected shorelines.
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    Ocean flat right now............................
    Not sure about weather forecast.
    winds light.
    Go !!
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
    Ocean flat right now............................
    Not sure about weather forecast.
    winds light.
    Go !!

I've decided to go camp in the backcountry instead. Hopefully the wife doesn't hate it too much. It will be prefishing for next week's trip. I am hoping with water temps around 75 there will be some tarpon action.
    cluk cluk cluk...LOL
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    How was the back country fishing?
    I camped the last night of February near Watson. saw a few tarpon in the back (2-3 rolls not very active) but only jumped one. Water temps in the back were 75-76. Trout fishing was good with some nice 20" fish. Saw a few reds on shorelines but no takes. Did not see any snook.

Attaching a pic of one trout. I chose a GF with small hands so that the things she holds look bigger. GF likes catching not fishing so she was happier with trout than hunting tarpon.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425500982.775084.jpg

I was limited in what tarpon spots I could comfortably fish with the wind.

Bugs for me were pretty bad but 100% deet solution and my portable campfire kept them in check.
    Nice report. I'm not sure what's going on with the snook in the Flamingo back country right now. I've talked to several people who just aren't finding them this winter in the usual places. A buddy of mine was helping a research crew do some electro shocking surveys in places they normally find a lot of big snook in the winter and they didn't find any big girls.
    91tiger wrote: »
    Nice report. I'm not sure what's going on with the snook in the Flamingo back country right now. I've talked to several people who just aren't finding them this winter in the usual places. A buddy of mine was helping a research crew do some electro shocking surveys in places they normally find a lot of big snook in the winter and they didn't find any big girls.

We ain't had no winter to speak of this year. A few cold days here and there. That's not how you make people buy sweaters.
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    So did the wife hate that you went camping with the GF? :)

I was down Fri to Sun. Don't think we saw you: only saw one Egret 18 and it was on Fri in Tarpon Bay. Fishing up there sucked. Camping at Canepatch was cool, included aggresive gator and almost bug free. Oyster Bay chickee was a little buggy but not epically bad. Other buddy boat saw lots of tarpon and jumped two but we only saw a couple.

Lots of snook in Jupiter last couple mornings on top water fly. I love the park for the scenery and other fishing, but for me 95% of the time snook fishing there is a pathetic joke compared to Jupiter.
    Fished Long Key with Captain John Skidmore on my bird. Jumped two tarpon. Had one at the boat but torqued him too hard trying to avoid sharks and popped him off.

Went back solo for vengeance and jumped two more. Was hard with no boat man. Chased one with the trolling motor before he wrapped me on a pylon and popped off.

Got the blood and adrenaline flowing good.
    Nice work! Live bait or fly?
    Live pilchards.
    Oh, BAIT! John keeps the cleanest skiff I have ever seen! BAIT MUST BE A IGHTMARE FOR HIM...LOL I had to rE-read it when I noticed YOUR bird...LMAO. I'm back in biz and will be scouting Oceanside in the morning, weather permitting.
    I forgot to thank Martin for dinner Thursday night. The spot produced Martin. Snappers, sheepshead, and even a couple of nice snook.

I made one bad cast and decided to dangle the buck tail in the water over the branch. Biggest Mango of the day. Hoisted him up and held him in the air until I could retrieve him.

Cool spot. Thanks.
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    Glad you tried it. Feel free to share location with others, I just prefer it's not publicly online.

In the summer we had the whole island light up with lightning bugs at dusk.

Kite fishing FOR mangroves FROM mangroves is always fun. :)