Shore fishing Little Gasparilla island

Hey guys, I'm staying on LGI with my gf, fishing from the beach mainly. I also have access to one dock on the other side. With very few options, and y only bait being soft plastics, frozen shrimp, cut pinfish and sand fleas, what would be my best bet to just bend some rods, and maybe catch a few for dinner?

I've tried the trough and just keep getting small bites, with one small jack to show for it. Also tried topwater and some slower jigs from the dock and beach. No bites, yet....am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• JAinSCJAinSC Posts: 16 Greenhorn
    When? Now? I fished the beach there in April during spring break. DId ok with small jacks and smaller blue runner and a few flounder on small grubs. Saw plenty of smallish snook cruising the beach, but they were way too smart for me: super shy and picky. Nothing wrong with small. Just fit the baits and the tackle to the fish. You'll get a lot more bites and a lot more action.

I talked to another guest that caught a couple of grouper fishing right under their dock on the inside.

That being said, this was APril. If you are there now, then I've got nothing...
  • DubbleDeeDubbleDee Posts: 39 Greenhorn
    We use frozen shrimp (you could use live or gulp as well) and usually do very well once the whiting show up with a stray pompano mixed in. You are usually going to catch them right at your feet with a high tide. By your account is doesn't sound like they are there just yet. We have killed them in late March, but it has been a few years.

We have had good luck with casting spoons as well. You will catch spanish mackerel or a snook if they are there (not really the time of year for snook on the beach) on the spoon.

By rule, if the water is up in the morning and the birds are out you will catch fish on the beach. If not it is tough.
    Spending time on LGI! "The difference between living and LIVING WELL!"

http://tarponrealestate.com/all-rentals/0192-2/
  • LB200LB200 Posts: 298 Officer
    With all of this cold weather you are going to struggle to catch fish right now. My family always comes in the winter and they want to catch fish but it is just dang cold for our tropical fish
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin Posts: 587 Officer
    Sabiki tipped with shrimp, biggest sabiki you can find down there, or use smaller hooks. They are there. Find a dock with lights at night, moving tide helps. Watch for blues cruising the beach too. Been down there in Mid-Nov, would think it would be about the same as now. Lady fish are always around.
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    November=February... I don't think so.

Beach fishing is a waste of time this time of year for any quality fish in my opinion.
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin Posts: 587 Officer
    It was worth a try
  • PhillyMarathonPhillyMarathon Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it. Seems I may have just picked a bad week for beach fishing.

I broke down and took a charter today on Tapout charters. Capt Leroy Bennett had us out killing the sheepshead. Got one that must have pushed 5 pounds, just a monster.
  • AndrewSAndrewS Posts: 158 Officer
    Don't give up on the beach fishing before you try fishing for flounder with DOA Night glow 1/4 Shrimp. I have been catching flounder for about six years this time of year. Also the beach trout should show up sometime this month as the water Temp. starts going up. It went up a little this morning along the beaches in Venice to 64.4. Target the flounder. Forget about all other fish right now. Fish very slow along the bottom of shore-line. No jigging, slowly glide the DOA. Add Shrimp ProCure and don't set hook for at least 15 seconds. It is slow boring fishing, but it works for me. We eat a lot of flounder at my house. I give a lot of flounder to my friends at the jetty.
  • ReelsmoothReelsmooth Posts: 86 Greenhorn
    Nice haul on those flounders.
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Andrew, does tide matter for you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AndrewSAndrewS Posts: 158 Officer
    RMD wrote: »
    Andrew, does tide matter for you?
    It matters to the fish. I just go and take what I get on the tide.
  • hugehailhugehail Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Im visiting the west coast of FL during late fall of 2016. Im planning on staying in Manasota Key or Placida and fishing the stretch from
    Boca Grande north to Clearwater. What time of the fall is best for targeting Flounder? I was thinking about late October into mid November since prices are lower in the fall and since the snowbirds dont show up as much (better selection of condos and houses).
    Do you think that the artificial baits are just as good for flounder as the live baits? Are the beaches productive or do you need structure?
    Any suggestions about where to fish?

AndrewS wrote: »
    Don't give up on the beach fishing before you try fishing for flounder with DOA Night glow 1/4 Shrimp. I have been catching flounder for about six years this time of year. Also the beach trout should show up sometime this month as the water Temp. starts going up. It went up a little this morning along the beaches in Venice to 64.4. Target the flounder. Forget about all other fish right now. Fish very slow along the bottom of shore-line. No jigging, slowly glide the DOA. Add Shrimp ProCure and don't set hook for at least 15 seconds. It is slow boring fishing, but it works for me. We eat a lot of flounder at my house. I give a lot of flounder to my friends at the jetty.