Home General Fishing

Motor guide Xi5 Salt Water

rcs8104rcs8104 Posts: 23 Greenhorn
I am looking to purchase the new Motorguide Xi5 mainly because it will work with my Lowrance HDS Touch. I would like to hear from others who own one the pros/cons of the trolling motor. Appreciate your help in advance.

Replies

• FISHHUNTRFISHHUNTR Posts: 1,286 Officer
    Had mine nine months and Ive racked up a boatload of hours on it and love it. It has been flawless... Honestly cant think of a con for me. Some say they wish it had an LCD screen on the remote... but I have not seen the need for it yet. Not Trying to bash the "other" one but have 2 friends with recently purchased other brand.. both have been in the shop for circuit board issues... one of them 3 times. Another quirk on the other brand is when in anchor mode it will just quit anchoring usually several times a trip.
    "FISHUNTR"- 2012 20' Pathfinder, Yamaha F150, HDS gen 3 9T
  • DarcyDarcy Posts: 1,711 Captain
    FISHHUNTR wrote: »
    Had mine nine months and Ive racked up a boatload of hours on it and love it. It has been flawless... Honestly cant think of a con for me. Some say they wish it had an LCD screen on the remote... but I have not seen the need for it yet. Not Trying to bash the "other" one but have 2 friends with recently purchased other brand.. both have been in the shop for circuit board issues... one of them 3 times. Another quirk on the other brand is when in anchor mode it will just quit anchoring usually several times a trip.
    Fish hunter. How accurate is your spot lock. I'm really leaning towards the xi5 nstead of the other one as well.
    "No i'm NOT Darcizzle!":blowkiss

https://captainsforcleanwater.org
  • Capt.AWCapt.AW Posts: 937 Officer
    FISHHUNTR wrote: »

4 times now...2 motherboard's, drive motor, and bad seal on the lower unit. Motor will be a year old in 1 week. Hopefully motorguide will have a lcd screen remote(big deal to me) by the time my warranty is up.
    Darcy wrote: »
    Fish hunter. How accurate is your spot lock. I'm really leaning towards the xi5 nstead of the other one as well.

Very accurate and does not drift off and run back constantly. Also has a feature to adjust position by 5ft each time you hit a directional arrow... very handy for getting fine tuned.
    Capt.AW wrote: »
    4 times now...2 motherboard's, drive motor, and bad seal on the lower unit. Motor will be a year old in 1 week. Hopefully motorguide will have a lcd screen remote(big deal to me) by the time my warranty is up.
    :hairraiser Holy smokes Adam, thats no bueno
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    This XI5 is awesome!
    I've owned all versions of the MK auto pilot since 2005 and the newest model 2014.
    By far this motor is leaps ahead of the MK product. It is almost silent when it tuns the motor is smoother when the power comes on and is as strong as the MK no issues there. The jog feature is just amazing and since it has two GPS's inside it is way more accurate and doesn't drift off your spot like the minnkota does.The XI5 also has tinned copper wire as the main lead connecting to your power plug another plus and the little details that matter it even mounts to the MK quick release with a little mod to the MG bracket and matched my boat better to boot! The MK power lead is still just copper not tinned wire! I locked on a marker with a swift current off Stuart FL while getting bait this weekend. All the boats around me keep drifting away and having to move around with there big motors. I locked in 10 feet off the marker and stayed there without worrying about drifting into it and never moved off my spot until I was done getting bait! There was no jerking or re positioning of the boat by the motor like the MK does when it corrects itself and moves you back to the spot the XI5 just stayed in one spot.I'm sure everyone was pissed i was hogging the spot but hey that's how it's done! Lol

I also have the Gateway installed hooked up to my Lowrance HDS 12 Touch works awesome!

For what it's worth even Skip from MBC is using one on his boat now. They are also offering the Motor Guide XI5 as a installed factory option now!
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    I have had a few Minn Kota iPilots on different boats. I still have my last one as a back up in case I have trouble with my relatively new Motorguide Xi5. I got very sick of how inaccurate the anchor function on the iPilot is. The Xi5 anchor function is so much more precise and the jog feature that allows you to make small adjustments is extremly handy. The whole unit is much quiter than the Minn Kota. My gut feel says the Minn Kota is built better and more trouble free but having the better anchor function was worth taking a risk on potentially less reliable unit for me.

The two things I miss are the LCD speed display on the remote and the foot control. If you are in the back of the boat you can't hear the beeps and it's really nice to be able to just check speed setting on the screen. I also miss the foot control of the Minn Kota. It had a left and right direction control buttons at the back of the foot control that you could just tap with your toe. I find myself still looking for it with my foot constantly. The wireless foot control for the Xi5 is a very expensive option and gets terible reviews.
  • R DaysR Days Posts: 95 Deckhand
    I have the 105 lb xi5 on a 22' bay boat and it is awesome. I have only had one instance where the current and wind was too much for it. We have used spot lock near shore and it sits there just like the boats next to it with actual anchors. The spot lock has been impressive to all who have seen it. I am getting ready to connect it to the hds 12. I did have a vibration and took it in to get fixed. It was the prop. The asc technician told me that he has seen several come through with bad circuit boards that have been fixed under warranty. The bad boards were with some of the earlier ones and failed within a handful of hours. He also said the spot lock is much better and more accurate than mk. Very happy and impressed with mine.
  • waldnerrwaldnerr Posts: 1,030 Officer
    I can't speak for or against the xi5, but I've had a Minn Kota Riptide i Pilot ST on my Egret for two years and the only time I've had any problems with the anchor lock function was in an absolutely ripping current underneath the Bahia Honda Bridge. I've had no trouble "anchoring" in open water in an ~ 3 knot current. The motor has performed faultlessly since I first installed it, and I'd purchase another in a heartbeat. It's important to realize that not all Riptide i Pilots are the same; the ST-series motors are reputed to be considerably more reliable than the SP's, albeit more expensive.