Home General Fishing

Keys trip March 27th-April 1st, suggestions????

Just 1 MoreJust 1 More Posts: 106 Deckhand
My GF and I are flying in to West Palm, renting a car and doing the drive down through the Keys ending in Key West. March 27-Apr 1st and then She's flying back out of Key West and my friends are bringing the boat down for another 5 days of fishing on the 1st out of Murrays.

Anyone want to recommend a charter for just her and I on the 30th or 31st out of Key West?

Also, Starting at Key Largo, Tell me where to stop along the way. I've been coming down for the past 30+ years but she has never been and I don't play tourist.
A few places I know we will do...
Key Largo = Pennekamp and the glass bottom boats out to the reefs
Islamorada = Robbies to feed the tarpon and World Wide Sportsman, probably Green Turtle for dinner
Big Pine = No name pub, Key Deer
:huh
Ok,, youre turn :beer

Replies

• Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    I like walking Duval Street, seeing the sunset on Mallory Square, and Ft. Zachary Taylor State Park for a nice beach.
  • davederbdavederb Posts: 887 Officer
    Without a doubt Lazy Days is my favorite restaurant in Islamorada! The hogfish Islamorada is a 10/10 meal. I dont say that often. Bahia Honda park looking at the little hermit crabs. Marathon Turtle hospital is a great experience also. There is a great catamaran/excursion in key west. Like $40 a head and its snorkelling, wave runners, sailing, banana rafting, bbq on boat. Well worth it. Enjoy!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Air Force Veteran 93'-00' ~621st TALCE~

2017 & 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12’s
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 2,002 Captain
    There is a new aquarium that opened last year just across the Vacca Cut Bridge in Marathon that I'm told is well worth the time.
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    Klinger wrote: »
    There is a new aquarium that opened last year just across the Vacca Cut Bridge in Marathon that I'm told is well worth the time.

Better than the Key West Aquarium?
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 2,002 Captain
    Better than the Key West Aquarium?

Don't know if it's better as I've never been to the one in Key West, but I understand it is interactive. You can actually snorkel with the sea life, and the predatory species are separated by a glass partition.
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • BonecrackerBonecracker Posts: 111 Deckhand
    Go to the Mel Fisher museum http://www.melfisher.org/

Take her on a snorkeling trip https://www.furycat.com/key-west/snorkeling.htm?nck=snorkelusa&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=snorkeling%2520in%2520key%2520west&utm_campaign=Non-Branded%252BWatersports

Take the ferry to the Dry Tortugas, spend the day & snorkel some more http://www.drytortugasinfo.com/

Afterwards hang out and party at Sloppy Joes http://sloppyjoes.com/ Drink to much, eat to much, and somehow walk or if you are smart (is anyone smart if they are drinking excessively??) take a taxi back to you motel, hotel, Holiday Inn! Hangovers are at no extra charge if you follow my directions!! :Glass
    2006 2200V PATHFINDER / VMAX HPDI 200HP :USA
    2012 MAVERICK 18-HPX / YAMAHA F115
    2001 HELLS BAY WATERMAN / 25 MERC - SOLD
    2014 BEAVERTAIL ELITE / YAMAHA F70 -SOLD
  • Just 1 MoreJust 1 More Posts: 106 Deckhand
    Great responses, Thanks guys. We will definitely do Mallory Square and the Duval crawl one night.. it's going to be tough to cram everything in in a day or two :willynilly
  • GhostmanGhostman Posts: 82 Deckhand
    Skip Green Turtle......Lazy Days in Islamorada is a must.
    "Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, Come Hell or High Water"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Just 1 MoreJust 1 More Posts: 106 Deckhand
    Here's what I've got so far

27th Land in West palm (rent a car)
    Fish 6-10pm On Island Time party boat w/her 14yo son, Drop him at Grandma's beach condo for the week :grin
    Stay at Holiday Inn Boca Raton

28th
    Wake up, Drive down to Key Largo (2 hr drive), Breakfast along the way
    glass bottom boat 12:15-2:45
    head towards Islamorada Stopping wherever along the way
    Green Turtle or Lazy Days for dinner
    Stay at Breezy Palms for the night (not 100% on this, taking suggestions)
    Ended up getting a room at Tavernier Inn

29th
    Do Islamorada stuff
    Robbies
    World Wide Sportsman
    Island Grill
    Theater of the sea
    Key Deer nation refuge
    head down to Key west

30th
    Wake up in Key west at the Crowne Plaza Key West La Concha
    430 Duval St. Key West, FL 33040 laconchakeywest.com
    do Key West stuff/Maybe Dry Tortugas trip/ PARTY ALL NIGHT

31st
    Wake up again in Key West at The Reach, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
    1435 Simonton St. Key West, FL 33040 waldorfastoria3.hilton
    Do whatever we didn't do.. but, with a hang over/PARTY ALL NIGHT

1st
    Sleep in, breakfast, Put her on a plane home and then the guys bring the boat in to Murrays (31' CC w/300's) and we fish hard core until the 6th, Fly home exhausted and broke .. LOL
  • davidgiddavidgid Posts: 250 Deckhand
    As davederb said. Bahia Honda. We have not been, but the http://bahiahondapark.com/ is supposed to be one of the best beaches in florida. It has won all kinds of awards. There is supposed to be great snorkeling as well.
  • fsustevefsusteve Posts: 96 Greenhorn
    Theater of the Sea is worth missing, my daughter dragged us thru there. BH does have nice beaches for the keys, go to the last parking lot and walk down a ways if you want some privacy. Boondocks on little torch has pretty good lunches, Square Grouper is there or Cudjoe, has decent dinners but pricey. Keys Fisheries on Marathon is good also. I keep a camper at Big Pine Fishing Lodge just on the other side of Spanish harbor bridge, if your girl wants to see key deer, they're always walking around the campground. Also Strike Zone runs a dive boat out to Looe Key that is cheap and worth doing.
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 783 Officer
    Bahi Honda Park has a great nature trail where you can take a walk in learn a lot about the flora and fauna of the area. Good snorkeling by the campground too.