Flamingo Boating Advice

Hey guys-
Never taken my own boat to Flamingo, 21' Oceanic CC. I usually don't try to get myself into less than 3' of water.

I've been interested in trying it though, and looking at the chart, it looks like if I head out of the marina area and go west and stay to the outside, I should be ok.

Just wondering if any of you guys had any suggestions or advice.

thanks-

Replies

• hardwayhardway Posts: 113 Deckhand
    You will be fine in a 21 footer as long as you stay in the marked channels. Try fishing the park boundry markers for triple tail and cobia. Go south and head to Springer Bank. Head north and try the rockpile. Lots of luck Capt. George the voice of experience.
  • naclh2ohallnaclh2ohall Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Thanks Capt! I can't wait to get down there!
  • Zone RangerZone Ranger Posts: 81 Greenhorn
    Take a look at the chart showing Whitewater Bay / Shark river. Plenty of water for your boat if you watch what you're doing w/lots of places to fish. Big fish too when the tarpon are in the rivers. Just keep your eyes open in Buttonwood canal due to canoes and kayaks. I get a better feel for the park out back. It's an amazing place.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,097 Captain
    The backcountry (inside) is just fine for your 21 footer with a few cautions... Plenty of depth the whole length of Buttonwood Canal up to **** Bay. The same for **** Bay with the exception of the first 100 or so yards - idle outside of the markers with engine trimmed up then lower engine and scoot across to Tarpon Creek. From there on you'll always have four feet of water if you follow the markers across all the way to the mouth of the Little Shark river. If you leave the markers you'll mostly have plenty of water depth but it's very easy to get turned around and lost, so stay near markers at first... The inside at Flamingo is always fishable even on days when you wouldn't think of launching on the Atlantic side. A shrimp and popping cork next to islands, a shrimp tipped jig in rivers, creeks, and areas where currents slide around islands, and you're in business. If you catch a ladyfish it's prime big fish live bait, and as cut bait will take anything that swims there. Good luck.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • naclh2ohallnaclh2ohall Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    thanks everyone, this is great info for me. I've been a few times on other boats. I have only fished Whitewater once. It really is beautiful down there.
  • Reel TeaseReel Tease Posts: 657 Officer
    If you bring along a map, It will help you out tremendously. Dont forget the tides move in and out pretty quick (just something to keep in the back of your head). Goodluck and Tell us how it went.