Home General Fishing

need ideas on a bay boat

troutmaster1troutmaster1 Posts: 12 Greenhorn
I'm looking for a bay boat in the 20-25 foot range for around $25000 needs to be able to get in really shallow water

Replies

• linesider 159linesider 159 Posts: 828 Officer
    How shallow?
    2016 Sterling 220XS (SOLD), see build thread here: Here
    2005 Lake and Bay Backwater (SOLD)
    Current Boats: 2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    gCFWQPq.jpg?1
  • BakermanBakerman Posts: 1,222 Officer
    9" to float or operate?
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman.
  • Capt. PantsCapt. Pants Posts: 667 Officer
    9"? In all honesty, I don't know of many flats boats and skiffs that can get that shallow? Realistically, 12" is even a stretch for many. "True" draft on most will be around 14-16", especially if it carries any kind of "V" to the stern.
    I fish out of a 2103 Kenner Vision Tunnel. The tunnel gets me about an inch or two shallower than the non-tunnel at rest. On-plane though, totally different story being I can raise my engine to where about 2" of skeg are below the hull.
    Is there a special reason why 9"? A canal or bar you hav3e to get out and push across? Just curios.
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    There are no bay boats that float in 9". If 9" is a realistic number you should be looking for a used Beavertail or Hell's Bay.
    bonephish wrote: »

Frequently Asked Questions
    Young 20

• What does the boat weigh (without engine)? - 1,450lbs.
    • What does the boat weigh fully rigged: - Approximately 2,100 lbs.
    • What is the average towing weight of the boat full of fuel and gear? - 2,800 lbs.
    • What is the deposit required to reserve a production spot? - $1,000.
    • What is the average lead time? - 6 to 12 weeks (depending on the time of year).
    • What does the boat draft? - 11 inches fully loaded (4 persons, 55 gallon fuel tank and 3 live wells full).
    • Does the boat have any wood in it? - No, a Young Boat is 100% constructed of composite material.
    • Do any compartments drain into the bilge? - No, all storage compartments and livewells are drained overboard.
    Maybe something along the lines of a 28' Carolina Skiff with a 6 gallon tank and a 15hp 2-stroke? :grin

I'd imagine if it's possible it'll be a flat back for sure.
  • troutmaster1troutmaster1 Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    the water gets down to 9 inches on a low tide at my dock it is really shallow
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    Might need to buy a lift or get a skiff. My ankona will float in 5" with 2 anglers, not fat ones though. A skiff probably isnt what you need, get a boat lift if it cant set on the bottom. Personally it seems like a bad spot for a dock
  • troutmaster1troutmaster1 Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    i have a 20 ft Chawk and it gets stuck on the bottom and i can't even push it out
    I think you need to look at flats boats. I have a hewes 16 redfisher for sale and it floats in 9 inches. Let me know if interested
    gCFWQPq.jpg?1
  • SullyKeysSullyKeys Posts: 92 Deckhand
    i would take a look at Scout's bay boats, they have some good options
  • bighardeybighardey Posts: 418 Deckhand
    22 Shearwater with a Yami 150 4-stroke....they are great boats and used ones are in your budget, I had a 2005 Coastal with Yami 150 and was very happy with it. Flats fished all day long and then on calm days went out the inlet trolling. Easy to push off when on a sand-bar. Good luck!
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    bighardey wrote: »
    22 Shearwater with a Yami 150 4-stroke....they are great boats and used ones are in your budget, I had a 2005 Coastal with Yami 150 and was very happy with it. Flats fished all day long and then on calm days went out the inlet trolling. Easy to push off when on a sand-bar. Good luck!
    I dont think shearwater makes a boat that drafts less than 10". Wont work, if you're looking at those family of boats I'd suggest sterling. They are pricey skiffs. Hewes and maverick may get you what you want

Trout-. Where are you located and what kind of fishing do you do? Seems you really dont want the flats boat, but you seem to be in an area thats a flat
    A shearwater x22 has a bay boat layout and will get in about 12 inches. Same hull as my sterling just different cap
    gCFWQPq.jpg?1
  • SwampratSwamprat Posts: 1,058 Officer
    the water gets down to 9 inches on a low tide at my dock it is really shallow

Get a bad wind pushing water out or a really negative low tide and that bay boat could be sitting on the bottom. 9" of water leaves no wiggle room.
    Jackson Cuda 12

A wade fisherman is the most simplistic but the most adept for the quarry they are after. They are immersed in their challenger's habitat and are in tune with the subtle changes of current, temperature and bottom. In order to be successful at this noble and primal fishing form one must be submerged from their goobs to their boobs, anyone doing this outside of that boundary is either sunbathing or swimming. S.F. Stewart 2015