Home General Fishing

New to fishing the flats

2»

Replies

• Net 30Net 30 Posts: 1,033 Officer
    gcsuthe wrote: »
    A HB Marquesa. They've been sending some pictures as the build progresses.

Welcome to the family.

Now you have to learn the secret handshake……:wink
  • gcsuthegcsuthe Posts: 41 Deckhand
    Thanks for the info guys. Hoping to learn a lot (including the handshake) and start a new phase of fishing. I've been a freshwater fisherman, going for mostly bass and trout. Inshore fishing looks like a great addition. Just can't beat a day on the water I don't care where it is. Love learning something new.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    HB owners can afford to buy bait.!
  • humblerhumbler TampaPosts: 131 Deckhand
    I've been a freshwater fisherman, going for mostly bass and trout.

Even though the flats and beach fishing for Snook and reds is outstanding in that area, don't put your bass box away. Okeechobee is only an hour or so away and it has been at a peak for 4-5 years now. It is a nice change of pace and your HB will be fine there on good weather days.
    humbler wrote: »
    Even though the flats and beach fishing for Snook and reds is outstanding in that area, don't put your bass box away. Okeechobee is only an hour or so away and it has been at a peak for 4-5 years now. It is a nice change of pace and your HB will be fine there on good weather days.

I thought about that. I've been there a couple of time years ago but I heard its really come back strong. I'll definitely get over there at some point.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,129 AG
    humbler wrote: »

Trafford is closer and has made a tremendous ( state poured tons of $$ in to the project) rebound.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • BAgnewBAgnew Posts: 105 Officer
    I spent most of my life fishing freshwater also. Much of what you learned is going to help you as you transition to inshore fishing. Hiring a quide for a few trips will take you a long way. I would suggest starting with a cast net 8 ft as it will be far less frustrating as you learn.
    If you enjoy Bass fishing you will be like a kid in a candy store when you hook up with a 10 - 15 pd Snook.

Bill A
    Trafford looks like a good lake to try. Never herd of it before. Right now I'm hoping the weather up here gets to normal and I can do some fishing before the April trip. I keep seeing the videos of the snook and reds and the Largemouths in the waters down there and I'm starting to twitch. I was looking at the 8ft nets. Having never really thrown one I would think that's about my limit.
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    You will be disappointed with the 8 footer. Especially when every other boat around you is catching bait and you're not....

Like I said, buy the 10 and learn to throw it. My grandfather still throws a 10 footer effortlessly. It has little to do with strength and more to do with technique...
  • fsustevefsusteve Posts: 96 Greenhorn
    I carry an 8' and a 10', the 8' is a 1/4 mesh, don't spend a ton on cast nets initially, you will shred them and they suck to repair, very tedious. I often strip destroyed nets of their weight and add it to the newer nets for faster sink time, especially the 1/4" mesh net.
    Nice boat selection too, you'll be very happy with that skiff.
    I see guys up here get them stuck on debris and rocks and shred them up pretty bad. Having no experience with a net I'm a little concerned about putting out the best part of $200 bucks for a 10-ft net and screwing it up while I learn. Maybe I'm over estimating the learning curve on these things but I am starting from zero on this. But that's why I'm on here first. You all have experience in the area and I appreciate the help.
    fsusteve wrote: »
    Nice boat selection too, you'll be very happy with that skiff.

Thanks, Can't wait to get it on the water. I'm stuck up here in MD right now with 6in of snow on the ground, looking at the pictures of the build.
    Go on YouTube, I think cracker nets has a pretty good tutorial, practice in the yard, there is a bunch of different methods for throwing, my son throws differently than I do, it's what works best for you.
    I'll give it a shot. I can practice up here while I'm waiting for the snow to melt.
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,406 Captain
    fsusteve wrote: »
    I carry an 8' and a 10', the 8' is a 1/4 mesh, don't spend a ton on cast nets initially, you will shred them and they suck to repair, very tedious. I often strip destroyed nets of their weight and add it to the newer nets for faster sink time, especially the 1/4" mesh net.

How do you add weight to your nets?
    I'll tie a weight onto the weight line usually every three or so weights dead middle between two weights so that it's balanced when you throw, I use 12lb mono for repairs and tie them with that, some guys use zip ties but I find they snag a lot. It doesn't take a lot to make a difference.
  • dbourbondbourbon Posts: 115 Deckhand
    I would recommend a 10 ft 1/4" mesh. This size is a great all around net for the backwaters and shallow flats. Whne the bait are smaller you will not have a Christmas tree with all the gilled baits. Not too fun to clean. This link is a great video on how to throw a net. Simple and easy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le6P2nFZhsA
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Captain
    If you can catch a bass you can catch any fish that swims........
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
  • FlatchasingFlatchasing Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    You can blind cast and catch fish but the fun of Flats fishing is the hunt. Sight fishing is what you need to perfect. Watch for tails, backs and pushed water made by fish. Cast your bait in front of a cruising fish. Then learn to fly fish

I am new to this forum
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,116 Admiral
    You can blind cast and catch fish but the fun of Flats fishing is the hunt. Sight fishing is what you need to perfect. Watch for tails, backs and pushed water made by fish. Cast your bait in front of a cruising fish. Then learn to fly fish

I am new to this forum

We can tell .:kick
    Guy's lookin to buy a Cast Net and catch bait for a Popping Cork or maybe a Sinker and a Cricle hook on the bottom.
    You tell him to buy a Hoop Net and chase butterflies...:rotflmao
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    8' net would be the best starter net and buy a panel net.
  • gumgatorgumgator Posts: 124 Officer
    dbourbon wrote: »
    I would recommend a 10 ft 1/4" mesh. This size is a great all around net for the backwaters and shallow flats. Whne the bait are smaller you will not have a Christmas tree with all the gilled baits. Not too fun to clean. This link is a great video on how to throw a net. Simple and easy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le6P2nFZhsA

I agree with this 100%, and have fished that area many times. You will be mostly going to the grass flats (there are some good ones North-East of the Matchala bridge), and chumming up the bait. We use the Purina Tropical fish food, throw it out, and wait. During the waiting period, I am usually tying my rigs, getting things set, etc.... After 15 minutes, throw where the chum was and pull in your pinfish. If you want the larger pilchards, they will usually be in the pass, and this is when you will need the 10' net, as well as the winter months when bait is more scarce.
    You couldn't have picked a better spot to be fishing, you have everything right there, good luck!!
    a733be5f-c7db-41a8-912c-98a88c9a32ca.jpg
    Post this castnet question in the SW section where you will be fishing and see what responses you get.

The majority of these responses come from people who have never caught bait at the sanibel causeway which I stated earlier is the easiest and most consistent place to catch bait in the area.

If you are only going to buy one net, it should be a 10ft 3/8" mesh net. Anyone that says otherwise is not proficient at catching bait in and around captiva/sanibel and the immediate surrounding area.
    Thanks Guys, 10 ft it is. I'll just need to practice a bit. Where around the causeway and what is the bottom makeup? I've seen some old threads on chum recipes, mixing fish food and menhaden oil. Do you guys used just the dry fish food?
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    Fish moving water the End
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
    I only chum for pins, then I use the dry fish food and a little saltwater. The causeway is a great spot to throw for bait but do not let the net sink to the bottom or you will be buying a new net, lots of construction debris, that goes for wrecks too.
  • DarcyDarcy Posts: 1,711 Captain
    Thanks Guys, 10 ft it is. I'll just need to practice a bit. Where around the causeway and what is the bottom makeup? I've seen some old threads on chum recipes, mixing fish food and menhaden oil. Do you guys used just the dry fish food?
    You don't really need to chum at the causeway. Just throw as close to the base of the pilings as possible without getting on the oysters. Go there in the early mornings and you will see how and where it is done. even if your boat is not ready you can stand undernieth and get the idea. just don't throw on the front side( tide) really close. have to judge the tide on the front side. Most throw on the back side. Is easier to do when your alone as well. I have good luck throwing on the back corner and the net kinda gets sucked around the corner a bit in the end.
    Fish food is good on the flats. Purine tropical fish food.
    10' 3/8 is what you want. I was going to get an 8' for the flats, as well as when the bait is on top at causeway.
    Blind pass is a good spot for bait as well. Closer to you. And as the water warms the bait will be all over the beaches.
    Here's a good vid on throwing. The first method is the one I use. Triple load. Your only throwing the weigh of 2/3 the net. Helps when bait is hard to find. And no teeth. Lol
    http://youtu.be/kqb41qn4Le0
    "No i'm NOT Darcizzle!":blowkiss

https://captainsforcleanwater.org

Bait is typical at one of the three spans if not all of them year round. What Darcy said is good advice.

Easiest way is to mark it on your bottom machine and make the net sink where ever you mark the bait.

It truly is easy after you have done it once.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,116 Admiral
    [QUOTE=Pilchard

The majority of these responses come from people who have never caught bait at the sanibel causeway which I stated earlier is the easiest and most consistent place to catch bait in the area.

THIS... Best explanation so far.
    Where and how your gonna catch Bait is the main thing. I throw an 8 fter. But I catch bait in 1 to 6 foot max flats bays. Solid mud at the bottom.
    A 10 footer and I'd need a shovel to throw a wheel barrow full of mud and seagrass back overboard after every throw.
    a big net is a mother.. but you should only have to throw it 2 or 3 times.
    Killin and Grillin :grin