Home General Fishing

fishing st augustine

aladroaladro Posts: 49 Deckhand
ill be in visiting st Augustine from the 2-28-15 03-07-15 I have a kayak does anyone have any advice on where to put in or fish this time of year or does anyone have a boat and is looking to fish I will be willing to split cost any advice would be great thanks

Replies

• Skeeter08Skeeter08 Posts: 175 Officer
    put in at guana state park you'll love it. Nice trout and reds.
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
    Skeeter08 wrote: »
    put in at guana state park you'll love it. Nice trout and reds.

If you do watch the tides even in a kayak
  • aladroaladro Posts: 49 Deckhand
    skeeter08 anything I should look for never fished up there before where im from south Florida we fish the mangroves for snook and reds trout are normally over the grass flats we look for pot holes in the flats they hold a lot of trout how do you go about finding them up there thanks for the help
  • kayak99kayak99 Posts: 80 Greenhorn
    FishInFL wrote: »
    If you do watch the tides even in a kayak

Is that because it gets too shallow there? Your tide recommendations for that area? Do you generally fish the incoming or outgoing?
  • knotbobknotbob Posts: 44 Deckhand
    You won't like the walk from your kayak to the shore in the gray muck.
    kayak99 wrote: »
    Is that because it gets too shallow there? Your tide recommendations for that area? Do you generally fish the incoming or outgoing?

I haven't fished that area because of those similar comments from others. I have fished the north side of Guana state park in what they call guana lake, which is brackish water with good fishing as well. All really shallow fishing but no tidal concerns
    Thanks, I need a ramp or a solid beach to launch my Hobie Pro Angler. It's too heavy to drag thru muck! :)
  • hmmngwyhmmngwy Posts: 156 Deckhand
    Try jaxkayakfishing.com

Great resource and a good helpful crew.
    I have the same problem my kayak is over 100lbs so the shorter the walk the better thanks for all the help guys and if any of you are down to fish on any of them days message me we can meet up would be great to fish with a local I would return the favorer if you ever down in south Florida
    hmmngwy wrote: »
    Try jaxkayakfishing.com

Great resource and a good helpful crew.

Thanks!

aladro wrote: »
    I have the same problem my kayak is over 100lbs so the shorter the walk the better thanks for all the help guys and if any of you are down to fish on any of them days message me we can meet up would be great to fish with a local I would return the favorer if you ever down in south Florida

Where do you fish in South FL?
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 AG
    Guana Lake is in the SP & the lake is contained by a dam, fishing access is at south end, next to dam & there's a Day Use fee. There's no tide, but on occasion, an exceptionally high tide from the river flows backwards over the dam & it can make fishing crazy. However they also let the water level down periodically, exposing a lot of mud. You can launch kayak below dam, but why pay when you can launch for free elsewhere?
    I haven't fished that area because of those similar comments from others. I have fished the north side of Guana state park in what they call guana lake, which is brackish water with good fishing as well. All really shallow fishing but no tidal concerns

Look at Salt Run over by the St. A light house, nice ramp & small fishing pier. It's very protected, loaded w/oyster bars & not too bad a paddle out to beach at backside of jetty, where you can fish from rocks. BUT BEWARE RIPPING INLET CURRENTS in channel!

Or Vilano boat ramp, before Usina Bridge, on way to beach & Guana Lake. Has B&T almost across A1A, EZ paddle to inside harbor & creeks to N, w/o having to cross the river. If you time it right tide can boost you N to creeks up W side of river & then help you paddle S to get back. If wind & tide are against you it could get hairy near the inlet.
    Guana Lake is in the SP & the lake is contained by a dam, fishing access is at south end, next to dam & there's a Day Use fee. There's no tide, but on occasion, an exceptionally high tide from the river flows backwards over the dam & it can make fishing crazy. However they also let the water level down periodically, exposing a lot of mud. You can launch kayak below dam, but why pay when you can launch for free elsewhere?

Look at Salt Run over by the St. A light house, nice ramp & small fishing pier. It's very protected, loaded w/oyster bars & not too bad a paddle out to beach at backside of jetty, where you can fish from rocks. BUT BEWARE RIPPING INLET CURRENTS in channel!

Or Vilano boat ramp, before Usina Bridge, on way to beach & Guana Lake. Has B&T almost across A1A, EZ paddle to inside harbor & creeks to N, w/o having to cross the river. If you time it right tide can boost you N to creeks up W side of river & then help you paddle S to get back. If wind & tide are against you it could get hairy near the inlet.

Is 6 mile landing launch still open for free into north guana?
    kayak99 i fish all over miami, the keys , and everglades national park
    Yes, I think it is still free, but I was trying to stick closer to St. A - instead of trekking almost to Ponte Vedra Bch.
    Is 6 mile landing launch still open for free into north guana?

http://myfwc.com/viewing/recreation/wmas/lead/guana-river/visitor-information/

If I was going to drive that far from St. A to fish I'd head South to Matanzas Inlet instead. By kayak there's EZ access to endless Oyster bars at 206 bridge.
  • DrKDrK Posts: 250 Deckhand
    Anastasia State Park and the Devil's elbow/206 area.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    Every time I drive over that 206 bridge and look down at all those oyster bars I say to myself "**** that looks fishy." But I've yet to fish it...
    Oyster bars, mud flats & grass beds at 206 bridge.
    Jim311 wrote: »
    Every time I drive over that 206 bridge and look down at all those oyster bars I say to myself "**** that looks fishy."

The west side of the ICW in the 206 - Marineland area is part of the Guana Tolomato Matanzas National Marine Reserve. This means there's essentially no development & it's open to fishing.

It doesn't just look fishy. To the west of Marineland is Pellicer Creek, a maze of oyster bars & creeks that's also accessible from US 1 via Pellicer Creek campground.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    Thanks for the info. Gonna fish it one day, maybe soon.
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,453 Captain
    Just a second voice to not get too close to the inlet (Vilano) on a falling tide.
    Just a clarification. Do not get to close to the inlet at St. A on a falling tide in a KAYAK b/c the current can be ripping, especially near the jetty on South side & you may find yourself being carried out to sea!

However passing thru St. A inlet in good weather is usually quite manageable, even for small boats, on a falling tide.
    aladro wrote: »
    kayak99 i fish all over miami, the keys , and everglades national park

I need to get down there this year before it gets too hot, just wondering about recommended put ins for my Pro Angler. I need a ramp or decent path to the water. Too heavy to portage! :) Do you fish Biscayne Bay at all? If so, can you recommend put ins?
    If you want to fish biscayne bay is really big you can put in at bay front park or black point they both good just let me know when you coming I'll let you know where the hot bite is kayak99