Ozello Reds

Haven't noticed many reds on the forum lately so I figured i would show a little proof that there's still a couple out there haha hit ozello a week or two ago in the yak just looking for a relaxing day. Since I'm in paramedic school right now my twice a week fishing has been cut to once a month so I take any opportunity I get. I fished around most of the morning without any bites fishing deeper cuts and drops around the area with no luck. Spooked a few reds after lunch in shallow flats so I changed my strategy and started sight fishing. Ended up with one over slot red and one under but had a fun day in the process. If anyone is interested I can drop a pin on google maps for fish catch locations :grin

B7D715CD-0B12-4231-8A9A-FC968D73FB40_zps1umdc85b.jpg

509A1C08-F551-4FF2-AFAF-2C4CBEB0AFB6_zpsyic1p61d.jpg

70E9C5A7-4C91-45B6-AAC2-B19777388314_zpsgl8aowwh.jpg
Gainesville Kayak Anglers Club http://www.gkaclub.com

Replies

• huntentailshuntentails Posts: 1,697 Captain
    :thumbsup
    Looks like ya had a fun day
    58c3c16f-8a45-4d30-b16f-bc3107cf4657_zpsplzwx9u1.jpg0af8c5e9-faa1-4c9d-81d3-c711ee6ce6e3_zpsojsft7fc.jpg
  • SuperJoxSuperJox Posts: 248 Deckhand
    I went with my stepdad north of Pine Island (in Hernando County) and saw at around 10 reds and caught one of them (21 inches). They're there
  • night crawlernight crawler Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Nice Red . Have not caught a red yet . Don't know if this is the place for this , but here it is . Moved here part time 8 years ago and Do lots of fishing , not catching . I have a deck boat on the Indian River by Days Inn Ramp . Easy access to beautiful Crystal River , Salt River and the Gulf ,spoils , etc . I have been all over , used many types of bate and guess I don't know were to go ,nor the right times of the day . At least the spots I go to are not overwhelming with fish . This is the biggest mystery to me . I even went out with a local guide and he went to some of the places that I have been before and we did catch trout in October 2013 . I guess I am wondering what the big secret is around here , because no one shares much except general info . Any advise would be great . Thanks to anyone .
  • leel33mlleel33ml Posts: 143 Deckhand
    It took me a while to catch my first red in the big bend area.. I've had the most luck during the warmer months first thing in the morning on rocky points... also with an incoming tide.. trout on the grass flats and big boys on the rocky points. It's quite shallow in those areas though.
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,824 Captain
    Nice Red . Have not caught a red yet . Don't know if this is the place for this , but here it is . Moved here part time 8 years ago and Do lots of fishing , not catching . I have a deck boat on the Indian River by Days Inn Ramp . Easy access to beautiful Crystal River , Salt River and the Gulf ,spoils , etc . I have been all over , used many types of bate and guess I don't know were to go ,nor the right times of the day . At least the spots I go to are not overwhelming with fish . This is the biggest mystery to me . I even went out with a local guide and he went to some of the places that I have been before and we did catch trout in October 2013 . I guess I am wondering what the big secret is around here , because no one shares much except general info . Any advise would be great . Thanks to anyone .

First off Great job on the redz Tide Up!! It sure ain't eazy catchin this time of year!!
    Now to coment on Night Crawlers post> I moved here full time around 5 years ago and felt exactly how you do! After having awesome success catching fish in other places around the state I just couldn't catch fish w/ any regularity around here??? Altho I still don't do near as well as a lot of fellow forum Bro'z I have discovered a few important thingz about our area! First is if the water isn't moving you ain't gonna catch anything!! The fish here are very tide sensitive! Another thing is the moon. Full moonz suck unless you fish at night! New moonz may be the best time to fish because you get the big tidez but the fish don't feed all night like on a full. My next suggestion is to start making some fisherfriendz! Either invite them to go on your boat or try to go w/ them! My fishing success went up 100% when I made some friends to fish w/!! You can p/u info that would take you yearz on yer own!!!
    I don't agree w/ you about members not sharing general info!!!!! I've learned tonz from this Forum and the memberz!!! Maybe some otherz might chime in here w/ some more since I didn't give you much! My fingerz are numb from typing!
    Sorry about jackin yer post T.U. and again> Great job on the shallow water Redz!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,923 Captain
    Catching reds in a big boat requires some skill or at least familiarity with the area. Visiting an area on lower tides to find rocks, oysters, etc will serve you well. Come back and fish those spots on rising tides and you'll find fish.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,929 Moderator
    What Jim311 said. ^^
    With your rig, fishing the around the rocks in the river will give you the best chance for reds. I would use small live pinfish to keep the catfish and snapper at bay. You may get rewarded with a big trout or snook while waiting for that redfish.

Sorry for the de-rail TideUp (BTW , nice forum name) . That's a great pic of that over slot.
    "You'll get your weather"
    Thanks Snook Spanker for your great comments . Made me fell better that I was not the only one trying to get started here . Tides and the moon are everything . The sharing thing wasn't aimed at the members , sorry for my not explaining correctly . It seems that local folks around me do not share much fish info . I will try yours and others suggestions . Good fishing is coming soon .
    Thanks for the reply , I will keep trying
    Thanks for the reply . Better fishing is on the way .
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Let that water warm a few degrees and there should be a few more reports on here.
    Nice Reds, they are still out there if a person want's to get on the water...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Nice going, little skinny are ya!
  • sp00n-sp00n- Posts: 103 Deckhand
    Haven't noticed many reds on the forum lately so I figured i would show a little proof that there's still a couple out there haha hit ozello a week or two ago in the yak just looking for a relaxing day. Since I'm in paramedic school right now my twice a week fishing has been cut to once a month so I take any opportunity I get. I fished around most of the morning without any bites fishing deeper cuts and drops around the area with no luck. Spooked a few reds after lunch in shallow flats so I changed my strategy and started sight fishing. Ended up with one over slot red and one under but had a fun day in the process. If anyone is interested I can drop a pin on google maps for fish catch locations :grin

Hey TideUp,

Thats a beautiful picture, theres nothing like catching a nice redfish in shallow water. I too, fish from a kayak, but have yet to try Ozello, cause it is kind of a maze back there. I'd love a pinpoint or two on Google maps for that location, I promise I wont crowd yer fishin hole if you share a little bit! :hail
  • TideUpTideUp Posts: 126 Officer
    @sp00n I'll pm you some stuff.

For the info on catching some red daddys in general;

Number one answer, go fishing more often! I know thats a pretty easy thing to say, and its harder to do for some, but you will learn soooo much about the area you're fishing, where fish are located, and the most important part, why the fish are in that particular spot.
    After that everything is pretty relative. Learn how to read solar lunar tables. I keep a notebook where i write in all of the conditions for that specific day, and everything i caught, in hopes to find patterns of when and why the fish are feeding. Everyone has a preference of which tide they like. I find i catch more fish on the outgoing especially when sight fishing for bottom feeders like sheepshead and black drum. Use google maps to your advantage. When fishing a new area, look on google maps for specific bars, structures, and flats you think might hold fish. We could probably all go on for a while with tips but you get the idea. PM me an area you've been fishing and maybe i'll have a little more specific info for you.

When all else fails, remember the golden rule.... Always throw some sort of gold spoon! Although it seems like a hunk of metal with a hook sometimes, redfish have an affinity for it. Aqua dream spoons are my favorite brand and pretty reputable throughout the forum. Good luck and let us know when you get some redfish slime on the boat!
    Gainesville Kayak Anglers Club http://www.gkaclub.com
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,155 AG
    2 of them three pictures I can tell you where he was... The three rocks with a few cormorants was a good mullet strike against the SW bank.
    3rd pic was just W of the 2nd..

Good deal on the reds!

Just watch your background.. lol
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,804 Captain
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    2 of them three pictures I can tell you where he was... The three rocks with a few cormorants was a good mullet strike against the SW bank.
    3rd pic was just W of the 2nd..

Good deal on the reds!

Just watch your background.. lol

easy A1... I like scenery,,,
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,804 Captain

Hmmm, must be 1 of my neighbors... Stop and say Hi. Always out on the deck at Margaritaville. you will know the place...:USA
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • fireshrinerfireshriner Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    caught my first red last month on the Homosassa river, actually caught 2 neither keepers but it was fun and im able to add to the species of fish that I have landed.
  • BackyardAnglerBackyardAngler Posts: 356 Deckhand

You using rusty bolts as bait? When the water warms up, there is a world of mangrove islands south of CR. You go find a point that has water moving through it, there will be a red waiting on the lee side of the current. Float a live shrimp under a Cajun Thunder with the current around that mangrove point and the ambush will happen. Some days I just go from point to point. At high tide you should be ok with your boat if you take it easy.