Skip to main content
Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Edgewater Backcountry Mosquito Lagoon

It was one of those cold breezy mornings this February, Craig had on all his winter stuff as did his wife, kids, and me on our lagoon flats trip. This 33" and 14 lb Red just had to have that live finger mullet first thing though. The school gave us the slip to deeper water so we went off looking for more, wind made it tough finding something new, my other spots already had boats fishing, not a suprise for a weekend. Ended up returning to the first school area, finding them deeper after the sun was high enough to see them, they were more in the shrimp eating mood by then, son M.C. got a 32' er.....................

Then Craigs drag sang with a 28" Red also on a shrimp, love that crystal clear water in bright sunshine with the coldest conditions of the year, I try to release as many Reds as possible to protect our lagoon stock and catching all overslot fish is always welcomed ......................

Edgewater Backcountry fishing trips have been fun as always, although this extra cold water has fewer species biting than during more mild winter times, Sheepshead of course don't mind the cold.....................

Trout and Runt Reds in and around some of the deep holes on the coldest mornings, fishing live shrimp will catch all the above when is cold, a small bite which they don't have to chase very far is a good choice, living in ice water has them sluggish of course......................

After just a day or two of warmer weather its amazing how some of the fish on the flats will spread out a little bit, the shallow water coming up a few degrees can have some fish leave the school to look for food on their own, fishing some areas with softer muddy bottom can have loose groups of Reds and Trout in dished out type spots of a couple feet deep, tail hooked live shrimp in such spots had Richard and Pat catch 8 Reds with me last week before the last temp plung.......................

Howard and Rob had a great time with me on their first ever flats fishing trip, we did not catch the most or biggest this day with 5 Reds, but the guys loved the whole flats experience, seeing fish in the water, and our great Mosquito Lagoon, and a little double hookup was a wonderrful thing..................

Capt. Michael Savedow
Edgewater River Guide
http://EdgewaterRiverGuide.com, Mosquito Lagoon Indian River Backcountry, Children Welcome, Fair Prices. Call or text 386-689-3781 Edgewater River Guide, Inc. since 2003. Capt. Michael Savedow

Replies