Blue Crabs in Florida???

I'm new to Sarasota coming from Maryland. I'm curious about the Blue Crab harvesting here. Is the effort worthwhile? In Maryland we do very well. We mostly trotline or box trap. How's the crabbing here?

Thanks,
John

Replies

• jimbo78jimbo78 Posts: 31 Deckhand
    I have no idea but i didn't know people harvested those over in ft laudable of i95 and sr 84 you could just walk around and get all you want or whatever the limit is.
  • WaVeCrAzEdWaVeCrAzEd Posts: 582 Officer
    after easter here in central florida they will be all over
  • gerrysgerrys Posts: 738 Officer
    WaVeCrAzEd wrote: »
    after easter here in central florida they will be all over
    Where do they go for easter??
  • AndrewSAndrewS Posts: 158 Officer
    I'm new to Sarasota coming from Maryland. I'm curious about the Blue Crab harvesting here. Is the effort worthwhile? In Maryland we do very well. We mostly trotline or box trap. How's the crabbing here?

Thanks,
    John
    Welcome to FL. John. Where in MD. are you from? I am from Eastern Shore of MD. I don't know anyone that crabs in FL. I do know they have all the nice crabs you want if you learn how. Best place to eat STEAMED crabs is Peace River Seafood Restaurant. They STEAM the crabs and season like MD. A lot of people down here boil them. You won't see any trotline crabbing down here. Crab pots is the way to go. Good luck trying to catch yourself. Here is some from Peace River Restaurant.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,123 Admiral
    gerrys wrote: »
    Where do they go for easter??

The Easter bunny delivers them
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    If you find a way to catch little ones..2-3 inchers... Please post a how-to...
  • flbluerunnerflbluerunner Posts: 703 Officer
    When I lived in the Panhandle I caught all I wanted in traps at my dock. When I moved to the Keys I don't catch enough to eat.
    The blue crab needs brackish water to breed and thrive.
    There are areas around Charlotte Harbor that you can catch them.
    Find brackish water and they should be abundant.
    John :USA
    2006 38 Luhrs IPS600, A true 38, the only one made with IPS!
    2001 23 Parker

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captjoemorinIIIcaptjoemorinIII Posts: 146 Officer
    X2 on peace river seafood restaurant. I am originally from Pasadena Md,,
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,028 Captain
    Tell that to the crab fishermen who put their traps near shore anywhere in the Gulf and bays.
    Jim
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 11,328 AG
    They're putting them close to an estuary intlet or they aren't catching many blue crabs.

Sarasota Bay, Tampa Bay and Charlotte Harbor are all brackish estuaries.

A baited crab pot in the Sarasota area should work just fine. I'd bait it with shad or mullet.
    Tarponator wrote: »
    They're putting them close to an estuary intlet or they aren't catching many blue crabs.

Sarasota Bay, Tampa Bay and Charlotte Harbor are all brackish estuaries.

A baited crab pot in the Sarasota area should work just fine. I'd bait it with shad or mullet.
    x2 on that.
    When I lived in the Panhandle I caught all I wanted in traps at my dock. When I moved to the Keys I don't catch enough to eat.
    The blue crab needs brackish water to breed and thrive.
    There are areas around Charlotte Harbor that you can catch them.
    Find brackish water and they should be abundant.
    x2 on brackish water, and Peace River.