Home General Fishing

Anyone using the touch screen electronics?

Wade BWade B Posts: 259 Deckhand
Does being on the saltwater make these units less useful? I'm not loving the idea of touching a screen with wet hands covered in freshwater. I assume salt would make the problems worse......so I ask the question.

Replies

• Topwater GuyTopwater Guy Posts: 473 Deckhand
    Garmin 740 going on 2 yrs no problem.......
    Lead, Follow..... Just, Get Out of the Way
  • scrubtechRickscrubtechRick Posts: 274 Deckhand
    Not a problem in the 2 1/2 years I've had my Garmin 740S. Will be adding another unit with side and down view as soon as I decide on which one. I recently looked at a couple that were not touch and did not like them now that I'm use to the touch screen.

As with anything you use in salt, rinse thoroughly with fresh water and dry as soon as you can when you get back home.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,060 Moderator
    Lowrance GenII - 2 years, no problem. Love it.
  • Capt George GozdzCapt George Gozdz Posts: 629 Officer
    Raymarine e127- works great.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Capt. George Gozdz
    Host "Reel Time with Florida Sportsman"
    www.floridasportsman.com/rtfs

Flatlined Charters
    www.flatlinedcharters.com
  • jhandymanjhandyman Posts: 203 Officer
    Lowrance GenII - 2 years, no problem. Love it.
    Same. Love it! Faster than the buttons on the side of previous Lowrance.
  • Cat_SassCat_Sass Posts: 57 Deckhand
    I've got twin E125 Raymarine and am not a big fan. They are difficult to use when running in big seas or with wet hands. One of them already has dead spots on the screen which now requires removal and returning them for warranty service.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]" Cat Sass " Fishing Team
    Sport Fishing With Attitude!
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    Lowrance HDS 12 Gen 2 touch, love it. Much faster and more intuitive to navigate than previous models. Two disadvantages, difficult to use while running in rough water and if you use them in colder climates it is impossible to use with gloves on. Lorance has added more hard button functionality to their gen 3 units so you can use either the hard button or touch for many functions.
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 786 Officer
    I have a Raymarine e97 not really fond of the touch screen or unit overall for that matter. I wish I had stuck with Lowrance. I don't use the touch screen feature much since it is not responsive a lot.
  • Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,927 Admin
    Touchscreens offer more than a cool new techie feature.

By incorporating a touchscreen you can eliminate bezel buttons which eliminates potential leak points into your system. Early model touchscreens offer a combination of both bezel buttons and softkeys that condition the user to migrate away from bezel hard buttons. Newer models will only have a power on button and leverage all soft keys, even card readers are being offered as secondary externally tethered units. This helps your core system remain completely sealed from the environment. Humidity control, salt spray and washdown are events that shorten the life of your multifunction display.

There are two options for touch screen construction, bonded display and non bonded display. Lower cost touchscreen are assembled by adding the touchscreen on top of an LCD that results in an air pocket between the two, typically no more than a .010-.040 gap. This gap can be sealed but humidity still gets in. This typically occurs as the dew point drops, your system heats up and the coolest part of your multi function display is your touchscreen glass. This is where condensation becomes visible in the air pocket between the touchscreen and display. Later in the day as the sun heats up your glass the condensation typically evaporates. This can be frustrating as this get worst, it becomes difficult to see your chart behind the condensation. Humidity gets into your system every time you open your card reader door or through connectors, overlays or hard bezel button seals.

Newer displays are now using a technique called bonded displays. This is a process using an acrylic compound on a vacuum press to fill the void between the touchscreen display and the LCD. Once this is cured properly, no moisture or condensation can accumulate behind the glass and your screen is free of humidity or condensation issues.

Touchscreen technology increases the life, functionality and ruggedness of your multi function display.
    Mark P. Wilson
    Marine Surveyor, SAMS-SA, ABYC
    Wilson Yacht Survey, Inc

• Wade BWade B Posts: 259 Deckhand
    I'm surprised to see so much support for Lowrance down there especially with Raymarine, Simrad and Garmin being so popular down there.

Up here it's Humminbird and Lowrance. But I'm pretty against Lowrance based solely on their poor customer service and business model. However I may just have to suck it up and consider Lowrance.
  • PmckhPmckh Posts: 199 Officer
    I know plenty of people down here with all of them. Raymarine, Lowrance, Garmin, Humminbird, and Simrad(mainly offshore guys). They're all popular and every person has their own preference. On my current boat I have a Humminbird and love it but plan on a Raymarine hybrid touch for the next boat. A lot of people down here run Sirius satellite weather and not every system is compatible for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MateauMateau Posts: 268 Deckhand
    Not a problem in the 2 1/2 years I've had my Garmin 740S. Will be adding another unit with side and down view as soon as I decide on which one. I recently looked at a couple that were not touch and did not like them now that I'm use to the touch screen.

As with anything you use in salt, rinse thoroughly with fresh water and dry as soon as you can when you get back home.

Mine wasnt working today for some unknown reason (wouldnt power on). Got home after fishing "blind" today. Checked wiring, sprayed all connectors with Reel Magic and it fired right up.... Crazy. I guess its called Reel Magic for a reason. Wished i had discovered that trick while i was on the water cursing the gods...
    Pmckh wrote: »
    I know plenty of people down here with all of them. Raymarine, Lowrance, Garmin, Humminbird, and Simrad(mainly offshore guys). They're all popular and every person has their own preference. On my current boat I have a Humminbird and love it but plan on a Raymarine hybrid touch for the next boat. A lot of people down here run Sirius satellite weather and not every system is compatible for it.

Interesting.

A guide buddy who is out of San Diego and is primarily offshore told me this today. " I have the Raymarine C series graph. If I updated my stuff now I would definitely get side sonar. I probably wouldn't do Raymarine product again now that so many of their competitors have upped their game and are making some great stuff at a fair price. "

Another guide friend who runs the Mississippi River at night told me this regarding radar. "Also… Humminbird has the old style radar. It needs to be mounted high or it can damage your eyes. The only reason I have radar is because Lowrance came out with the new technology. The antenna could be next to your head all week and not be a problem."
  • MateauMateau Posts: 268 Deckhand
    Wade B wrote: »
    Interesting.

A guide buddy who is out of San Diego and is primarily offshore told me this today. " I have the Raymarine C series graph. If I updated my stuff now I would definitely get side sonar. I probably wouldn't do Raymarine product again now that so many of their competitors have upped their game and are making some great stuff at a fair price. "

Another guide friend who runs the Mississippi River at night told me this regarding radar. "Also… Humminbird has the old style radar. It needs to be mounted high or it can damage your eyes. The only reason I have radar is because Lowrance came out with the new technology. The antenna could be next to your head all week and not be a problem."

Almost doesnt matter what you get. With these things advancing and constantly changing, it will be outdated at anytime. Mine and a few on here, Garmin 740s, is already a discontinued model. And i got mine last year!!! I dont have a side image transducer, but i was using a garmin 540 and this is a heck of an upgrade so im not complaining. Find something affordable, buy it. It will outdate just like a flip phone... Enjoy it while it lasts.
    The only people you'll see with radar for the most part down here are offshore guys. On rare occasion you'll see it on top of a bay boat if it has a T-top or tower. Side scan can be great for checking docks down here
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Pmckh wrote: »
    The only people you'll see with radar for the most part down here are offshore guys. On rare occasion you'll see it on top of a bay boat if it has a T-top or tower. Side scan can be great for checking docks down here

Currently I utilize side scan and down scan daily. I love that technology.

I don't have radar but I imagine it on my bay boat T Top so I can run safely in foggy or dark conditions. I've been on Lake Michigan in a thick fog and it's downright scary without radar.

Same with XM weather. An awesome tool for watching storms.

I'm still trying to decide between two screens or one. Just one 12" screen or two 9" or 10" screens. I like the Humminbird 1199 and 1159 paired together. However the Lowrance HDS9 pair is a nice set up as well. then you have all the units with the big screens.

Cost wise, I think Humminbird has it hands down with a 1199 and 1159 running $3700. However the Humminbirds are not touch screen.
    Our fog down here isn't incredibly scary. Sure there are several times per year where it's thick but you can always see well enough that you won't go head on into another boat or marker. I've run blind or with gps assistance in fog down here many times
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]