New kayak for a beginner

Hey guys I've grown up fishing but really wanna get into the kayak fishing. Is there any certain kayaks y'all can recommend for some one 6'2 230. Like I said it will be almost solely for inshore/freshwater fishing. Looking for something stable enough to stand and fish from. Thanks

Replies

• JoeyHotFizzleJoeyHotFizzle Posts: 225 Officer
    What's your budget snooker? There are plenty of options for a nice stable inshore kayak today. Native Slayer, Jackson Cruise, Jackson Cuda, Wilderness System Ride to name a few.
  • gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
    I'd be interested on hearing from you kayak fishermen on this.........I currently wade fish in the Titusville area but am seriously considering purchasing a used pro angler..........but I'm also a big guy...over 250 lbs........so stability is key.........that's why I'm also considering a gheenoe.
    There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!
  • raulvegaraulvega Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    I would say the same as Joey it really depends on the amount of money you are willing to spend on the craft, and all those companies are great. If you want something on a higher price range you may want to look into Hobie Pro Anglers but there are many other companies out there that make good craft for less money.
    Tarpon 120
  • Silent snookerSilent snooker Posts: 378 Deckhand
    Was hoping to stay under 1000 on a well taken care of used one.....
  • raulvegaraulvega Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Well that's a steady price but if that's what you want to spend you're better off buying a brand new one, unless you get one that's in really good condition and new over the amount you want to spend. But there are kayaks out there that are great boats for under 1000
    Tarpon 120
  • Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Posts: 1,112 Officer
    For "Big Boy's", it's hard to beat the Wildy Ride 135 for stability, ease of paddle (in the "barge class"), durability & comfort.
    Another Wildy to consider is the Commander 120/140, it is a hybrid that would work well for your needs. There is one in the classifieds for $600 with rudder.
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?182927-Wilderness-Systems-Commander-120-for-Sale!

Others to consider would be the Ocean Kayak Big Game, Old Town Predator & Jackson Big Rig.

It goes without saying, if you could swing the cost, it's hard to beat the Hobie Pro Angler 12/14 for inshore/freshwater..

FWIW- it would be nice to know where you live, so we could make recommendations for used boats in your area.....
  • Luv2YakLuv2Yak Posts: 944 Officer
    Hey guys I've grown up fishing but really wanna get into the kayak fishing. Is there any certain kayaks y'all can recommend for some one 6'2 230. Like I said it will be almost solely for inshore/freshwater fishing. Looking for something stable enough to stand and fish from. Thanks

Stability? Weight capacity? NuCanoe Frontier 12 hands down.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,355 Captain
    Another vote for Wilderness Ride.

After a long search,demo rides I settled on the Ride.

Stability amazing- so easy to get in and out of,and you have to really work at it to capsize.
    Paddles well,comfortable seat,excellent storage.......
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Compare all the recommendeds to an Ascend 128T. You won't want to paddle it far but it's rock steady and reasonably priced with a comfortable seat, and flat standing/ casting deck:

http://www.basspro.com/Ascend-FS128TSit-On-Top-Angler-Kayak-Camo/product/12102505321116/?cmCat=
    cuda-title2_zpsb81e4f1d.jpg
    greggl wrote: »
    Strive for self-sacrificial levels of empathy and sympathy. We are only set free by becoming the scapegoat, or sin eater', rather than picking a target and 'throwing stones.'
    nuevowavo wrote:
    Think you're pretty clever? Think again. Time for a break.
    :rotflmao