Home General Fishing

Is fly fishing really that great?

Replies

• FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 1,026 Officer
    It's fun but I much prefer spinning gear.
  • SchmidtySchmidty Posts: 6,814 Admiral
    Guys...

Fly Fishing is more of a "life style" than a method of catching fish....it's a "mind set"....if that's at all comprehensible ....

When I get out my fly gear I'm not really wanting to catch dinner....and in many ways .....some times...I would not be really disappointed if I didn't catch anything....

I like to use my fly rod to catch "Li'l Tunny"......and there's a fish I have yet to hear an honest man say he wants to eat....

I don't care to catch Tarpon as ...to me....they smell like chit.....

I also like to catch Permit on a fly....and those I'll eat.

But it really ain't just about catching a fish....I have spent many an enjoyable hour perfecting a fly to send out just so a fish can tear it apart.

That probably doesn't make sense to someone who doesn't fly fish.....

I also use a small lathe to hand craft wooden lures to cast to fish that knock the epoxy coated finish off them as well.....and that's with a conventional outfit....

But "IF" you're looking for dinner..........use live bait.....because noting fools a fish better...:grin
  • ifitswimsifitswims Posts: 176 Deckhand
    Fly fishing is a treat on any water. Some days the fly presentation is what the fish prefer and on a lot of days it is a difficult proposition with some added wind and poor boat control. I am a fly fisherman first but this is the land of big so I am always prepared with big sticks but I seem to revert to my fly rod.

The other day when we were out the snook bite was slow for my spinning compadre' but the action was off the hook for the fly. Some days it definitely goes the other direction as well.

With that said I will buy that rig off of you if needed.
    I wonder just how many guys here put a teaser fly (with hook) 3' feet before the lure they are casting?

I have found that it appears that nothing get's another fish's blood to boiling than another fish attempting to get a meal in front of them...
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 1,026 Officer
    Schmidty wrote: »
    Guys...

Fly Fishing is more of a "life style" than a method of catching fish....it's a "mind set"....if that's at all comprehensible ....

When I get out my fly gear I'm not really wanting to catch dinner....and in many ways .....some times...I would not be really disappointed if I didn't catch anything....

I like to use my fly rod to catch "Li'l Tunny"......and there's a fish I have yet to hear an honest man say he wants to eat....

I don't care to catch Tarpon as ...to me....they smell like chit.....

I also like to catch Permit on a fly....and those I'll eat.

But it really ain't just about catching a fish....I have spent many an enjoyable hour perfecting a fly to send out just so a fish can tear it apart.

That probably doesn't make sense to someone who doesn't fly fish.....

I also use a small lathe to hand craft wooden lures to cast to fish that knock the epoxy coated finish off them as well.....and that's with a conventional outfit....

But "IF" you're looking for dinner..........use live bait.....because noting fools a fish better...:grin

I believe the insufferable comment applies here :)

The whole lifestyle comment smells of the superiority complex most fly fishermen have. "Oh you use live bait? Pfft."

I have several friends who now "exclusively" fly fish. The funny thing is they NEVER fish. They buy tons of gear, crochet flies but only once in a blue moon go out and throw them at real fish.
  • shadowwalkershadowwalker Posts: 2,200 Captain
    FusionZ06 wrote: »
    I believe the insufferable comment applies here :)

The whole lifestyle comment smells of the superiority complex most fly fishermen have. "Oh you use live bait? Pfft."

I have several friends who now "exclusively" fly fish. The funny thing is they NEVER fish. They buy tons of gear, crochet flies but only once in a blue moon go out and throw them at real fish.
    Well if it only took five minutes to teach a person how to throw a fly rod with a live bait and catch fish, it wouldn't be near the accomplishment it actually is. To paraphrase and old expression, "Those who can, enjoy, and those who can't, criticize. :)
  • mastercastermastercaster Posts: 1,259 Officer
    I went through some years where all I did was fly fish. It took awhile for me to realize what I really enjoyed was sight fishing and it just happened to be that at that time the fly rod was the best way to sight fish.

I love throwing a fly, but you won't catch me blind casting one. Even now I typically just use my fly rod when wading, and use small soft plastics with my spinning rod when sight fishing from the boat. Fly fishing from the boat can be a bit frustrating at times.

To me there is nothing more challenging and rewarding than stalking redfish on foot in 12-24" of water with a fly.

So, to answer your question, yes it really is that great to me. It depends on the person, if you are the type that is content sitting in one spot soaking live or dead bait then I doubt it would click with you. If you like to constantly challenge yourself and use a tool that requires skill, then go for it.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,455 AG
    It's like using a rifle vs. bow.
    Do what you enjoy.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    There sure are a lot of strong feelings about this. The fact of the matter is that it takes a hell of a lot more skill and finesse to cast a fly rod than it does to bring out the "finger mullet and 30 pound braid." If you don't care about that, and loading the boat with fish is the goal, maybe you should get out your cast net. I don't really get the hating, it smacks of jealousy to me. Nobody cares what you fish with, but to look down on people who like to throw flies is silly. Any goon can catch a fish with a spinning rod and a shrimp. Maybe some people have mastered that and are looking for a new challenge?
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,020 AG
    "Is fly fishing really that great?"

No, but it's a challenge, and I like challenges.
  • orlandoliteorlandolite Posts: 162 Officer
    So it's obvious fly fishing sucks and is for DBs. Go with the VS reel.
    How much for that NRX????
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,492 Officer
    Jim311 wrote: »
    Maybe some people have mastered that and are looking for a new challenge?

This
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,963 Captain
    There sure are a lot of strong feelings about this. The fact of the matter is that it takes a hell of a lot more skill and finesse to cast a fly rod than it does to bring out the "finger mullet and 30 pound braid." If you don't care about that, and loading the boat with fish is the goal, maybe you should get out your cast net. I don't really get the hating, it smacks of jealousy to me. Nobody cares what you fish with, but to look down on people who like to throw flies is silly. Any goon can catch a fish with a spinning rod and a shrimp. Maybe some people have mastered that and are looking for a new challenge?
    hypocrisy runs strong in this post.

I like every fishing style and FISHERMAN. we're all on the same team. Now people who fish to thumb their nose at others do get to me, but that's more the person, not the equipment.

Who cares what skill you may posses of how many fish are in the cooler? No one should care. We're all fishing. Enjoy the water regardless of how you're doing it. If you're fishing to impress someone, then you may need to see a psychologist because there are other issues going on. Everyone stop being so insecure.
  • Guitarshredder1Guitarshredder1 Posts: 354 Officer
    Reel Teal wrote: »

I like every fishing style and FISHERMAN. we're all on the same team. Now people who fish to thumb their nose at others do get to me, but that's more the person, not the equipment.

Who cares what skill you may posses of how many fish are in the cooler? No one should care. We're all fishing. Enjoy the water regardless of how you're doing it. If you're fishing to impress someone, then you may need to see a psychologist because there are other issues going on. Everyone stop being so insecure.

^this. My earlier post was sarcastic, I may have come across as a DB.
    www.afrcustomtackle.zxq.net
    Custom Rods, Lures, and Flies

[email protected]
    407-913-4803 (Leave a message or text)

Hypocrisy? I don't even own a fly rod! But I'm not going to hate on somebody who does. It seems like there's a lot of stereotypes about fly guys being elitists or whatever, that's all I'm saying. I personally fish with whatever I feel like, whether it's a fly rod, a Zebco 303, or my baitcaster. Do what you feel.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,166 AG
    Fishing with ANY rod is for sissies...go Noodlin' if you want to be a real honest to goodness fisherman... :wink
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    Hypocrisy? I don't even own a fly rod! But I'm not going to hate on somebody who does. It seems like there's a lot of stereotypes about fly guys being elitists or whatever, that's all I'm saying. I personally fish with whatever I feel like, whether it's a fly rod, a Zebco 303, or my baitcaster. Do what you feel.

The hypocrisy is saying its silly to look down upon fly fisherman and then call people who use a shrimp a goon. Google the definition if you don't know.

You don't own a fly rod, so how do you fish with one?
  • twirptwirp Posts: 1,128 Officer
    I own all kinds of fly fishing equipment and gear, yet I rarely fly fish. I can cast pretty well, tie flies and everything, but when it comes time to cast on the boat and at a fish, it's worse than buck fever to me...I've hooked a few fish on fly, but have yet to catch one. I usually get so frustrated and swear to quit it all together, but I always come back for more. To me it's all about the challenge and catching my golden unicorn (which is never going to happen it seems).

As for fly fishing causing any kind of snobbery or elitist attitude towards others, not to me....I fish 100% artificial bait and lures, so I already feel that way about you dead stickers who use live or previously living bait. :grin
    Pathfinder-Logo-300x103.jpg
    The hypocrisy is saying its silly to look down upon fly fisherman and then call people who use a shrimp a goon. Google the definition if you don't know.

You don't own a fly rod, so how do you fish with one?

Not all people who fish with shrimp are goons. Just a lot of them. :grin
    "twirp".....

I guess you've done the "hoola-hoop" in the backyard thing....so can we say that you can hit your target?

I would suggest that you don't pick target that are just too far away to start out with...be sneaky and find ones within 30 feet and "one double haul" and smack him right in the head with a bar belled deceiver...they'll hit it...

...and you can go from there....
    Not all people who fish with shrimp are goons. Just a lot of them. :grin
    You're probably just too poor to afford bait....oh wait there i go acting like you, ASSuming way too much and dividing fisherman between themselves. dont worry what the other guy is getting wet ;) leads to envy....
    Maybe one day I'll learn how to fish with live bait!
  • shadowwalkershadowwalker Posts: 2,200 Captain
    Maybe one day I'll learn how to fish with live bait!
    Why, live bait is for people who need a second opinion on how to fish. :wink
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,097 Moderator
    Fly fishing is for people who cannot throw a cast net, and sabiki is japaneese for one who cannot throw a cast net. :blowkiss
    Fly fishing is for people who cannot throw a cast net, and sabiki is japaneese for one who cannot throw a cast net. :blowkiss

:rotflmao Well played Jack....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    We have gone off topic...:ontopic

Here is the QUESTION...Is fly fishing really that great?

Here is the ANSWER... YES...If *YOU* think so....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,298 Admiral
    I prefer to run my Trot Line and cast net while it's Soaking.

Winning...:blowkiss
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
    Every one wants the easy way out....
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    At the end of the day, I think guys who are exclusively live bait/artificial and guys who are exclusively fly could both learn a lot from one another if either could learn to admit they don't know everything.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,097 Moderator
    FishInFL wrote: »
    It's interesting the pecking order of how people who don't fly fish knock those that do. Why so opposed to trying a different way to fish?

I don't knock and am not knocking people who do not fly fish. I use all kinds of tackle, from Ultra light 2# to trolling for marlin and fishing for swords. Included in by quiver are spin, plug and fly rods. Included in my tackle box(s) are live bait hooks, worm hooks, hooks for rigging trolling lures, circle hooks and various hard and soft lures, which include flies.