Home General Fishing

Is fly fishing really that great?

Replies

• FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    Why limit yourself?

I like to be able to throw the cast net and use live bait one day, throw artificials / topwater another day, and break out the long rod in the winter months.

Learning to cast a fly is a basic fishing skill IMHO.
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod
  • shadowwalkershadowwalker Posts: 2,200 Captain
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    As interesting as some fly snobbery......

Funny how in most tournaments....people are not waving flyrods all around. In fact, in many tourneys...they want their own division...odd that if it is so effective...they won't fish against other gear types.
    Depends on what you mean by most tournaments, Bass tournaments for the most part don't allow fly rod's and with good reason. It has nothing to do with the willingness of fly fishermen to compete. If your a confident fly fishermen your likely a competent fishermen all around. Do you want to be the guy in second place behind some dude who just took first place with a fly rod in an open tournament.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,405 Captain
    Why limit yourself?

I'm not limiting anything. I fish how I want, when I want, and don't concern myself with what the other guy is up to.

And for the fly guys who feel the need to speak for every man alive who fly fishes, don't. You think you know a man by the gear he uses, you don't. It's that kind of pious b.s. that perpetuates these ridiculous stereotypes about fly fishermen.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,048 AG
    Depends on what you mean by most tournaments, Bass tournaments for the most part don't allow fly rod's .
    Bass tournaments for the most part don't allow trolling either.....
    I doubt all those guys flipping heavy cover are worried about any fly fisherman taking their first place money.....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    Bass tournaments for the most part don't allow trolling either.....
    I doubt all those guys flipping heavy cover are worried about any fly fisherman taking their first place money.....

Any time you want to hit Blue Cypress or Garcia let me know. Biggest fish gets a free lunch at Marsh Landing in scenic downtown Fellsmere : )
  • . It's that kind of pious b.s. that perpetuates these ridiculous stereotypes about fly fishermen.

Which are unfortunately true for most enthusiasts I know, which is why they call them that.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,737 Captain
    To the OP, I forgot to mention the other side effect of fly fishing. It's likely to turn you into a delusional, holier than thou, arrogant d-bag that most fisherman make fun of. On the bright side, you don't care if they make fun of you because you just KNOW how superior you are. Few activities can give you that kind of self-confidence.
  • PmckhPmckh Posts: 199 Officer
    kmagnuss wrote: »
    PS... anybody who wants to make a friendly wager on dock light fishing for snook with a fly rod vs me with spinning... I'm down. Just don't get pissed when you're flipping your fly back for the 10th time waiting to get that ultra soft presentation that I've already casted through the light 5x and all the fish are spooked. :) If it comes down to winning a bet I'll cannonball that snook light before I let you get a good cast in. :)

If it takes someone 10 casts to put the fly in a light, they better just be learning how to fly fish or they need to put it down. I picked up my fly rod recently for the first time in 3 years and dropped the fly in the light on the first cast
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shadowwalkershadowwalker Posts: 2,200 Captain
    To the OP, I forgot to mention the other side effect of fly fishing. It's likely to turn you into a delusional, holier than thou, arrogant d-bag that most fisherman make fun of. On the bright side, you don't care if they make fun of you because you just KNOW how superior you are. Few activities can give you that kind of self-confidence.
    I take it you've never tried fly fishing.
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer

Evidently, you've never met Lefty Kreh. Think about Jimmy Houston with a flyrod.:grin
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    Pmckh wrote: »
    If it takes someone 10 casts to put the fly in a light, they better just be learning how to fly fish or they need to put it down. I picked up my fly rod recently for the first time in 3 years and dropped the fly in the light on the first cast

Not without whipping it back and forth a few times you didn't... which is my point exactly.

Plus when I say cannonball... I'm not talking about my lure. I'm talking about me... jumping in the water on top of the fish so you can't catch any. Win at all costs. :)
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,048 AG
    Any time you want to hit Blue Cypress or Garcia let me know. Biggest fish gets a free lunch at Marsh Landing in scenic downtown Fellsmere : )

Let's do stick...i've be itching to kill a few shiners...
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    Dollar on Duckman.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain

Sounds like a bit of jealousy. Keep practicing and maybe a few lessons and you will be able to fly fish. Keep with it and it will be worth it. All good things come to those who wait. Never ever give up! Don't be afraid to ask for help either! Tight lines!
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,079 Admiral
    Sounds a lot like Archery Deer Hunters.
    I shoot the 500 FPS Matthews Solo Can and Rage broadheads. How bout you ?
    I shoot a 6.8 AR Custom with Hornaday Ballistic 120 grain exploding Varmit heads.:kick
    ..You see anything this morning... yet got a 9 point on the Skinning Pole.
    You..Had one at 35 yards and a branch deflected my shot. :cry
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • PmckhPmckh Posts: 199 Officer
    kmagnuss wrote: »
    Not without whipping it back and forth a few times you didn't... which is my point exactly.

Plus when I say cannonball... I'm not talking about my lure. I'm talking about me... jumping in the water on top of the fish so you can't catch any. Win at all costs. :)

I'd have a fly in and be hooked up before you could realize you're not getting a bite and could cannonball
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Let's do stick...i've be itching to kill a few shiners...

I was giving you a break. Stick marsh is way easier for me.
    I'm not limiting anything. I fish how I want, when I want, and don't concern myself with what the other guy is up to.

Take your foot off the gas bud...I was responding to the original post, which asked if fly fishing was worth it.
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    Probably saw 20-30 reds today in 12-18" of water. We were poling around using the fly rods and most of the fish were laid up singles or doubles. Several were overslot.

I could have caught good number of them if I wanted to soak a shrimp on a jig head or put out a chunk of ladyfish and read a book until a rod went off.

As luck (and my meager skill) would have it, I had to settle for putting a couple of casts on target that were largely ignored by the fish.

It was fun though. A change of pace and a different approach.

I'll go dead sticking with the kids next weekend. :cool:
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
  • SchmidtySchmidty Posts: 6,814 Admiral
    In the 60+ years of fishing......

I have seen many different forms and ways of catching fish....

I have met "surf fishing elitists" who if you aren't casting a convention...you just weren't worth talking to....

...then there were guys who if you weren't using artificial....you weren't worth talking to...

....guys who only trolled offshore....and if you didn't you weren't worth talking to...

....or guys who only thought that people who used live bait were the only ones worth talking to...

.....and yes....we have some "elitist fly fisherman" who will talk smack on anyone who uses anything other than a fly rod.....

of course......all are wrong in their assertions that anyone else is wrong....but what can one expect from elitists?

I have tied a thousand or so "deceivers" over the years in every size and color under the sun......I have spent countless hours and many cases of beer in the attempt to make something that would be irresistible to fish.....and in the same time making ....what I considered to be.....perfect works of fish catching art.....and that is simply part of fly fishing.

.....other than "bass fishermen" I have never seen anyone other than fly fishermen practicing casting in their back yard.....so to perfect fly fishing....it does take a pretty high degree of commitment...

I will also say that "if" I were hungry I would leave that fly rod in the tube and if inshore I would get out my 8'acid (Roberts) wrapped rod with my Penn 525 Mag reel on it and go out and kick the monkey snot out of everything edible with live or stink and fill the cooler in a New York micro skinny second....

Sorry "strictly fly guys" ....but that's the truth...
  • gcsuthegcsuthe Posts: 41 Deckhand
    Fly fishing is great. I've fish for bass and trout with a fly for years. Hoping to do it on the flats soon. There are times when a fly rod will out fish traditional tackle in spades but the reverse is true as well. Its another tool in the box. I'd say anyone who thinks of themselves as a fisherman should try fly fishing it can be every bit as rewarding as the purest say it is, but don't sell your bait hooks. :wink
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,395 Officer
    To the OP, when you read through the 6 pages of clutter contained in this thread, I'm sure it'll be obvious that those who actually can Fly Fish tend to love it. That would be reason enough to give it a whirl, right?
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Wimauma, FLPosts: 1,064 Officer
    Fly fishing is just another challenge that requires a certain skill set that conventional tackle doesn't have. It is like trying archery after mastering hunting with a rifle. When people ask me about taking up fly fishing, I tell them to make sure they have caught all the fish they want to catch on spin tackle because your numbers definitely go down. However, you remember the quality fish or quality shots on fly more vividly, IMHO. As far as to the OP's question, I believe it is worth it. You've got a nice rod to start with which is half the battle.

As far all the stuck up, pretentious, d-bag stereotypes that go into fly fishing.... that is with any realm of common interest. People who play golf can be the same way. People who prefer classic Ferrari over Porsche over Corvette over Mustang can be the same way. I believe where the stigma fly fishing has stems from the marketing of the sport. It's not cheap. The technical poling skiff market which has a hefty price tag in some examples, were marketed towards fly fishers. The common everyday guy cannot afford to wisk away to Belize, the Seychelles or Andros for a week to take the chance of landing something on fly. There are certain conventions that fly fishers adhere to within the sport that differ from those who use bait or lures. Doesn't make it right or wrong, it is what it is. However, many of the guys and gals I know who are serious fly fishers, myself included, relish in the opportunity to promote the sport and teach those who are curious or interested in learning more about the sport. Not saying that traditional tackle people are not, but fly fishers who want to promote, really need to know how to teach and not just show.

Back to the OP, if you like catching snook, night time snook on fly is a great way to gain experience in fly fishing. You are able to throw flies that truly match the hatch of what they are feeding on. I have had many a fly vs. lure challenges with my friends, and usually, the fly comes out on top. It's all in good fun but it is definitely an effective method to catch snook at night under the lights.
    Capt. Jon Bull
    @shadowcastflyfishing
    Sales Rep - Ankona Boats, Salt Marsh Skiffs, Tavernier Skiff Company
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,492 Officer
    I have personally never tried it... Always wanted to. To me, your just stepping up your game when u pick up the long rod. Its another form/technique of angling, how can another fisherman knock it!??!!? So a guy/girl who say is an inshore fisherman, lives in the Naples area, has caught over 1000 reds, thousands of trout, a hundred tarpon and several hundred snook in their fishing careers with a spinning rod, and now they decide to up their game, take on a new challenge... Design their own artificial etc etc...and another fisherman knocks it? I dont get it. :huh
    I have personally never tried it... Always wanted to. To me, your just stepping up your game when u pick up the long rod. Its another form/technique of angling, how can another fisherman knock it!??!!? So a guy/girl who say is an inshore fisherman, lives in the Naples area, has caught over 1000 reds, thousands of trout, a hundred tarpon and several hundred snook in their fishing careers with a spinning rod, and now they decide to up their game, take on a new challenge... Design their own artificial etc etc...and another fisherman knocks it? I dont get it. :huh

There are a few people out there who just can't wrap their feeble little minds around it, watching them come unglued on a public forum isn't half as much fun as seeing it on the water. As for people limiting themselves, or catching fewer/smaller fish, that has nothing to do with the gear they use. If you want to use a fly rod to blind cast into open water ( we call this the blind squirrel method ), it's typically not going to work out so great for you unless you're very familiar with the area you're fishing. For sight casting, chasing bait pods, fishing dock lights, mangroves, etc, this percieved handicap simply does not exist.
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,492 Officer
    At least fly fisherman are usually stealthy..... Id rather have 50 of them up on a flat than that one guy that uses the "buzzing the shoreline" to find fish technique.... just sayin'
  • nativewoodernativewooder Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    I'm a Florida native from way back when. And most "snook" "fishermen" use a telephone pole for a rod and some kind of cable for line with something dead for bait that rolls along the bottom moved by tidal flow.

I used to fly fish on the flats in the Fort Pierce area where I'm from, and let me tell you, if you hook up with a 25 to 30 inch snook you move into a different world! With all that skinny line out there between you and that big'un, all you can do is cuss and pray that you can outlast that fish. As has been said earlier, it's not that you take the fish home, it's that you caught the fish and released it!
  • T-DaddyT-Daddy Posts: 213 Deckhand
    To the OP, when you read through the 6 pages of clutter contained in this thread, I'm sure it'll be obvious that those who actually can Fly Fish tend to love it. That would be reason enough to give it a whirl, right?

Amen!
    I love to hi-speed troll for wahoo, slow it down with ballyhoo for dorado, let the cigar plug out a half-mile for tuna, bottom fish deep ledges and shallow wrecks, inshore at the jetties for bandits, inshore for trout, reds and flounder, artificial and live bait, off-shore boats, bay boats, kayaks and wade fishing, and love to bass fish with bait casters and spinning gear, and yes, fly fish too! Who cares what anybody thinks, do what you like!
  • SaveMyRiverSaveMyRiver Posts: 430 Deckhand
    I don't know if the jibber jabber here gives you a real good answer. If you want to catch fish, then do so. If you
    Want an extra challenge then use different tools
  • SaveMyRiverSaveMyRiver Posts: 430 Deckhand
    Fly fishing has some applications where it is optimal...but they are few and specialized.

Inefficient for catching dinner.

I like what this fella said. Inefficient for catching dinner