Home General Fishing

Is fly fishing really that great?

Bought a g loomis nrx to flip but this thing is so nice it almost makes me wanna pick up fly fishing. Now I'm a snook guy, I fish heavy gear for heavy snook. So do I flip the nrx for a van staal or do I start my new passion as a fly fisherman?

Replies

• JoeyHotFizzleJoeyHotFizzle Posts: 225 Officer
    I bought an 8 wt outfit, Sage Motive and Nautilus CCF-X2. Kept it for less than a year then traded it for two spinning outfit. I didn't give it enough chance I gues. I practiced for a good bit casting and got ok at it but a good instructor would've been a lot of help.

Everytime I used the fly rod I wondered why I'm going through all this motion when I can just flip my wrist and get my lure in front of the fish. I guess i wasnt meant to throw flies.

I do enjoy watching fly fisherman though. They seem so graceful and relaxed but when I do it it seems like it's too much work. Give it a try man you might just enjoy it.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,405 Captain
    If you have to ask, you're probably better off with a van staal.
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    To answer your question--YES. I encourage you to get help if you go forward. Plenty of help if you ask for it. Where do you live?
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,079 Admiral
    I have my best luck with 30 pound Braid and a Finger Mullet.
    Anything else is just chasin Butterflies with a Hoop net....
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
    I have my best luck with 30 pound Braid and a Finger Mullet.
    Anything else is just chasin Butterflies with a Hoop net....

Agreed, except in my neck of the woods it is a whole blue crab, live pinfish, or giant mullet head..........I love this time of the year!!
    There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!
    BTW - There is a guy I run into while wade fishing once in awhile who does nothing but fly fish. He catches some of the biggest trout out of the skinniest water..........that said, I love top water, paddle tails, and zoom flukes on spinning outfits. Can cover a lot of water fast.
  • PmckhPmckh Posts: 199 Officer
    I throw spin gear majority of the time but absolutely love my fly gear and would never get rid of it. I see them for different applications. Most general flats fishing I throw spin gear, but if I want to stalk tailing reds I'll bring out the buggy whip. Fishing snook lights the fly hands down out fishes anything else. I also enjoy throwing the fly at tarpon(preferably sight fishing on the bar)

Where are you located?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,547 Captain
    The Flyrod is effective for Snook under docks. My experience is, it doesn't spook them like a bait caster or spin presntatation will. You gat a few more shots at them. The same goes when they're in moving water in the Glades.
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
    You could do both.... Bring it with you and if the opportunity presents itself, bring it out.
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,737 Captain
    Fly fishing is AWESOME. It's a terrible way to try to catch fish but really hones your rhythmic gymnastics skills.

19th+Commonwealth+Games+Day+10+Rhythmic+Gymnastics+t0VpgncmtuXl.jpg
  • NaplesOffshoreNaplesOffshore Posts: 284 Officer
    ^^^^^:rotflmao
  • tagtag Posts: 8,920 Admiral
    Fly fishermen are normally insufferable to be around.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    I used to fly fish... it was a neat hobby but honestly if I want to go catch fish I'm bringing the spinning rod. I can cover more ground WAY faster and catch more fish because of it.

PS... anybody who wants to make a friendly wager on dock light fishing for snook with a fly rod vs me with spinning... I'm down. Just don't get pissed when you're flipping your fly back for the 10th time waiting to get that ultra soft presentation that I've already casted through the light 5x and all the fish are spooked. :) If it comes down to winning a bet I'll cannonball that snook light before I let you get a good cast in. :)

CANNONBALL1.jpg
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • Guitarshredder1Guitarshredder1 Posts: 354 Officer
    By asking you show doubt. There is no saving you now. The fly fishing community doesn't want you anymore. Trade it for the Van Staal, or prove me wrong. I bet you won't even try.
    www.afrcustomtackle.zxq.net
    Custom Rods, Lures, and Flies

[email protected]
    407-913-4803 (Leave a message or text)
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,395 Officer
    Bought a g loomis nrx to flip but this thing is so nice it almost makes me wanna pick up fly fishing. Now I'm a snook guy, I fish heavy gear for heavy snook. So do I flip the nrx for a van staal or do I start my new passion as a fly fisherman?

Before you go run out and drop $900 on a new fly setup you should really get with a guide who specializes in the type of fishing you want to do with a flyrod. Let that be your crash course. Fly fishing has the most delicate presentation of any medium, and nothing is more exciting than having to hand-strip a big snook away from a dock/tree...I'll typically use my 9wt for fishing the lights or walking the beach looking for cruising snook, which both involve sight fishing. But it's not for everyone. It's a lot more work than a typical trip out and on windy days you're talking about a real chore. Most friends who I share the skill with don't stick with it.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,048 AG
    Fly fishing has some applications where it is optimal...but they are few and specialized.

Inefficient for catching dinner.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Fly fishing has some applications where it is optimal...but they are few and specialized.

That's on you. A fly rod is only as effective as the guy holding it. There's no habitat, species, or conditions that I can't dominate with a fly.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,079 Admiral
    Yup, And I can hunt Squirrels with a sling Shot ...:nono
    I'd Smoke you with my 30 pound Braid and a Finger Mullet. :kick
    Unless we're fishing for Bluegills.....:blahblah
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,046 Moderator
    I've caught everything from bream to sailfish on the long rod. Like Dirty says, it''s only effective as the guy holding it.

Now as to kmagnuss statement about being faster with a spinner, I bet I can lift 40' - 50' of flyline and leader, make the backcast and lay it back down a lot faster than he can reel in the same amount of line, open the bail and make another cast. I don't have to do all the reeling. And my lure lands a lot softer, not a cannonball, spooking everything on the flat or under the light.

And as for TRT, there is no doubt that live bait is better, but once hooked, a fish, dragging around a fat fly line will be beat a lot faster than running around with the thin 30# braid cutting thru the water. Water resistance is a help.
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
    It's interesting the pecking order of how people who don't fly fish knock those that do. Why so opposed to trying a different way to fish?
  • Net 30Net 30 Posts: 1,033 Officer
    duckmanJR wrote: »

Very true. My guess is 80-90% of fly guys will be releasing what they catch.

Fly fishing is not a great way to go out prospecting looking for fish…blind casting is not fun for long with a fly rod.

However, when you are sight fishing, few methods (some live bait excluded) will beat a well presented, appropriate color/size fly to laid up or cruising fish. Fly casting gives you the chance to pick up 30-40 feet of line and replace the fly in a couple of seconds. You can continue to follow a fish and adjust your cast most times without blowing out the fish. There have been plenty of times I have out fished a live bait guy with a fly.

As an added bonus, the long whippy nature of a fly rod combined with the heavy fly line dragging in the water will enable you to land fish faster than mono or braid a good percentage of the time. It's not for everyone but is def. worth a try when you get a little bored with spin or bait casting. To each his own.
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    That's on you. A fly rod is only as effective as the guy holding it. There's no habitat, species, or conditions that I can't dominate with a fly.
    :eek: me thinks that's a fib. You're probably good though, but every condition is a stretch:o
  • kayak99kayak99 Posts: 80 Greenhorn

If you spend the time to learn and ignore those who never master the craft, you'll probably enjoy the sport. Fly tying adds to the enjoyment when fish hit your creations. No need to give up your present methods of fishing, just add to them! Nor do you need to go for expensive gear until you really want the best. Cheaper gear works just fine.
    Reel Teal wrote: »
    :eek: me thinks that's a fib. You're probably good though, but every condition is a stretch:o

There are tools for every job. Tungsten lines and big rods help, 30 knots is doable.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,048 AG
    FishInFL wrote: »
    It's interesting the pecking order of how people who don't fly fish knock those that do. Why so opposed to trying a different way to fish?
    As interesting as some fly snobbery......

Funny how in most tournaments....people are not waving flyrods all around. In fact, in many tourneys...they want their own division...odd that if it is so effective...they won't fish against other gear types.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    There are a couple situations where a well presented fly will out-fish all other techniques consistently. All of which involve sight fishing.

Most times however, a lure will out-fish a fly. Especially when you add scent and/or off colored water into the equation.

But to answer OP's question, yes it is worth it if you are someone who is willing to take the time to master the craft. Fly fishing is not something I do exclusively by any means but I do spend a significant amount of time fly fishing when I could be spending that time catching a hell of a lot more fish.
    I don't knock fly fishing - I can't use a bait caster consistently well either - but I've been fishing with spinning outfits since the original Mitchel 300s were mainstream. I just don't get to fish enough to learn either as well as I already know how to use spinning gear. Now, I do own a couple of bait casters - one is my go to live big bait outfit because I love the star drag and clicker - and the other I bought to try to learn punching through hydrilla mats in Lake Kissimmee (when every fish comes with 10 lbs of weed it isn't much fun after awhile). My issue with fly fishing is the need for clear space behind you. A lot of places I fish have trees, mangroves, high banks, docks, bridges, boats, kayaks, etc. about. Though I have been out with guides and site fished with a fly - caught a red that turned down a live shrimp with a purple/red crab imitation fly.
  • shadowwalkershadowwalker Posts: 2,200 Captain
    FishInFL wrote: »
    I don't know any fly fishermen who don't or haven't successfully fished with a spinning rod at some point in their fishing career. But then on the other hand I know a lot of spin fishermen that.......... well .......ah.......that is, you know, enjoy what they do too. :)
  • SchmidtySchmidty Posts: 6,814 Admiral
    Fly Fishing is all about "the trip" and not the "destination"....if you can get my drift....

The fun starts with tying.....not with the hook up....and most often ends with an empty cooler...and nothing to show for the day, but a smile...
    Schmidty wrote: »
    Fly Fishing is all about "the trip" and not the "destination"....if you can get my drift....

The fun starts with tying.....not with the hook up....and most often ends with an empty cooler...and nothing to show for the day, but a smile...

Agreed - after all it is not called "catching". Always an adventure - that's why I love wade fishing - never know what you are going to see (bump into). These days I find myself mapping areas when the water is low that I revisit during the mullet run. I'll throw a top water plug all day just for that one short strike. It's all about that calm at sunset..........just the sound of the water and a darkening purple sky.