Captiva first two weeks of May

Ok guys I am a tad excited already but in nine weeks (well nine and a half) I'll be in Captiva with great expectation of some decent catches from the shore (had some great catches in the past).

I have caught snook, tarpon, trout, macks, jacks, flounder, grouper, cobia (only one small one), ladyfish, sheepshead, snapper and numerous other small species but one species continues to elude me and that, of course, is a redfish. And I do virtually all of my fishing in Redfish Pass!!

Any tips to help me break the duck? Has to be from the shore as well.

Replies

• mtbrider85mtbrider85 Posts: 337 Deckhand
    Have you tried blind pass yet? I usually have better luck on redfish there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    A bit early for redfish in the passes. If you are staying at south seas, see if you can get ahold of a kayak. Plenty if redfish within paddling of the resort. Or better yet, pay one of the area guides for a morning of fishing.
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,353 Admiral
    That time of year you will need to get shallow for the reds. Most will be more inland away from the passes.
  • razerrazer Posts: 63 Greenhorn
    mtbrider85 wrote: »
    Have you tried blind pass yet? I usually have better luck on redfish there.

No I haven't yet. Every time I went there, there were no parking spots available so I didn't hang around. I was led to believe the wardens are pretty ruthless. Bit I will try again this year, very early am.

Any ideas on the best baits?
    Pilchard wrote: »
    A bit early for redfish in the passes. If you are staying at south seas, see if you can get ahold of a kayak. Plenty if redfish within paddling of the resort. Or better yet, pay one of the area guides for a morning of fishing.

They have kayaks to rip you off with at South Seas. I might have to bite my lip and go for it this year
  • NailerNailer Posts: 301 Deckhand
    We had a blast fishing (and catching) at Blind Pass. But, we never caught any Redfish.
  • FLTXhunterFLTXhunter Posts: 516 Officer
    Reds will be under the bushes and around the oyster bars. Best bet is to find some wading areas inshore or if you can rent a yak and get back to the bushes, do that. Tons of reds around there and they have been getting more and more plentiful in recent years.
    Nailer wrote: »
    We had a blast fishing (and catching) at Blind Pass. But, we never caught any Redfish.

Join the club!!:crossed
  • DubbleDeeDubbleDee Posts: 39 Greenhorn
    Take some of those ladyfish that you are catching and cut into 1-1.5 inch steaks.

Find a grass flat or some mangroves to cast into just before or after a high tide and hang on!
    Spending time on LGI! "The difference between living and LIVING WELL!"

http://tarponrealestate.com/all-rentals/0192-2/
    DubbleDee wrote: »
    Take some of those ladyfish that you are catching and cut into 1-1.5 inch steaks.

Find a grass flat or some mangroves to cast into just before or after a high tide and hang on!

Tried that Dubble, catfish love them chunks more than redfish!!
  • sneaky snookersneaky snooker Posts: 746 Officer
    DubbleDee wrote: »

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    2015 Shearwater 23 TE w/ Yamaha SHO 250
    Thanks for all the help guys. If anyone wants to offer some one on one advice while I'm there please feel free. I'd hate to come all the way across the pond and still not get a redfish
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    razer wrote: »
    Tried that Dubble, catfish love them chunks more than redfish!!

If you are catching catfish, the water is too deep...IMHO...you need to move shallower and keep trying.

When I say shallower I'm talking 24" or less in depth. That's where you are most likely to find redfish on the flats.

Oyster beds, mangrove points, etc in those depths are the ticket.
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod
  • Holmes BeachHolmes Beach Posts: 969 Officer
    razer wrote: »
    Ok guys I am a tad excited already but in nine weeks (well nine and a half) I'll be in Captiva with great expectation of some decent catches from the shore (had some great catches in the past).

I have caught snook, tarpon, trout, macks, jacks, flounder, grouper, cobia (only one small one), ladyfish, sheepshead, snapper and numerous other small species but one species continues to elude me and that, of course, is a redfish. And I do virtually all of my fishing in Redfish Pass!!

Any tips to help me break the duck? Has to be from the shore as well.

What does break the duck mean? Redfish Pass might hold the world record snook. Just sayin.
    What does break the duck mean? Redfish Pass might hold the world record snook. Just sayin.

Excuse me Holmes, I'm from the UK, to break the duck means to go from catching no reds, to catching the first one,
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,857 Captain
    As stated numerous times rent a yak from south seas and paddle around the corner to the mangroves. In my opinion the best bait for reds are pinfish either under a popping cork or with a 1/8 ounce split shot. Pitch your bait as close to the edge of the groves as possible and wait.
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    I'm surprised that nobody mentioned driving down to Ding Darling on Sanibel. There used to be everything there, although usually on the small side....but lots of fish! Can you still rent kayaks there? That would be the ticket. I did most of my redfishing along Pine Island; low incoming tide.
    .......Rick
    Permit Rat wrote: »
    I'm surprised that nobody mentioned driving down to Ding Darling on Sanibel. There used to be everything there, although usually on the small side....but lots of fish! Can you still rent kayaks there? That would be the ticket. I did most of my redfishing along Pine Island; low incoming tide.

Its on my list Rat. But I first have to work out how to tell my woman that a fishing rod is coming along with us on our guided yak tour. She wont be happy.