Home General Fishing

Best Remedy ...!!

TowersTowers Posts: 681 Officer
Whats the best thing you can do when stung by a catfish...

Replies

• Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    Rub it's butt on it or **** on it.
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    Go to the doctor
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,184 Officer
    Ice
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • SchmidtySchmidty Posts: 6,814 Admiral
    Towers wrote: »
    Whats the best thing you can do when stung by a catfish...

...a great big slug of bourbon followed by a right violent scrubbing with bleach.....followed by more bourbon...

....oh....you drink the bourbon:wink
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    Rub the slime from the catfish on the spot (so I heard). I'd probably try peeing on it to see if that would work too... or vinegar.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • DarcyDarcy Posts: 1,711 Captain
    get a hot girl to pee on it. I heard female pee is better. :wink
    "No i'm NOT Darcizzle!":blowkiss

https://captainsforcleanwater.org
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    Totally off topic but... Years ago, there was a story circulating the Catfish slime was a hallucinogen. You just had to lick a catfish to get high.

That was the only time I ever targeted catfish and can say first hand it is not true...
  • gerrysgerrys Posts: 738 Officer
    Got a catfish spine right through the joint of a finger. I figured after time it would fester and I could float it out. NOT. Dr surgically removed it.
  • NaplesOffshoreNaplesOffshore Posts: 284 Officer
    rub the stung area on its belly, grandma always told me it cuts the pain down from 3 days to 1.5

supposedly because of the bacteria xD

Ive only been stung once so I don't know how true it but is but hey, worth a shot.
  • Figmo89Figmo89 Posts: 66 Greenhorn
    Had a catfish spike impaled in my palm a while back. Google told me that putting my hand under the hottest water I could stand would break down the toxin and cut the pain. I did as instructed and it worked fairly well. Was pretty happy I didn't have to pee on it.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,011 AG
    ^^^^ this.

Very hot water.

I'd probably go to the doctor, as well, depending on how bad it was.
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    To avoid this carry a wooden stick and spin the fish around and the hook will come out. After seeing a man have a finger amputated when i was a kid i dont screw with catfish. They are hardy as anything and can even survive an hour out of water so don't be concerned of hurting it especially hardheaded ones. They live up to the name
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    all for a 10 cent hook
  • XafXaf Posts: 1,105 Officer
    Do not put ice on it. Like others have said, put water has hot as you can stand on it and see a doctor right away. I put a spine through my finger in the morning before a day of fishing offshore. By the time we got back my finger was so swollen they had to cut my ring off. Dr gave me antibiotics and said I was lucky I didn't lose the finger. He said putting ice on it was wrong thing to do (allows the bacteria to live). Said I should have put hot water on it to kill the bacteria.
  • a little knotsa little knots Posts: 1,222 Officer
    I agree soak hand in HOT water !
    Apply peroxide an or antiseptic as soon as possible !!
  • NaplesOffshoreNaplesOffshore Posts: 284 Officer
    if you lip them its pretty hard for them to sting you
  • SchmidtySchmidty Posts: 6,814 Admiral
    In the 60's I saw the hand of a guy who was bitten by a small bluefish....

He was bit in the heel of his palm by a 10" bluefish...in 10 days his palm looked like a blown up balloon....

He went to the doctor a few days later and after his surgery to get rid of what bad meat was left his hand worked again pretty well after 3 months....

I keep two spray bottled of bleach on my boat....and the second someone gets bit or finned...they get bleached, scrubbed, bleached, rinsed, neo-sporened and bandaged.....

No if's, and's or but's....
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,102 Officer
    Pilchard wrote: »
    Totally off topic but... Years ago, there was a story circulating the Catfish slime was a hallucinogen. You just had to lick a catfish to get high.

That was the only time I ever targeted catfish and can say first hand it is not true...
    - :puke

...freakin' hilarious!!! that's gotta be the funniest post I've seen on here yet.

:Rockon
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
    You don't pee on it, but you have to drink the pee to counteract the toxins
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,100 Admiral
    Yep , For a 10 cent hook..
    I been stuck too many times. It ain't happenen again.
    Them Hard Heads don't even come above the gunnels . I'll slab them into Mangrove roots just to stun them.
    Heck, I'd shoot them if Ammo weren't so hard to get....
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • humblerhumbler TampaPosts: 131 Deckhand
    Xaf wrote: »
    Do not put ice on it. Like others have said, put water has hot as you can stand on it and see a doctor right away.

Same thing for sting rays. My doctor told me to carry powdered meat tenderizer when fishing. If you get stung by a ray or kitty, make a paste out of it with saltwater and rub it on the wound. Something about the tenderizer neutralizing the enzymes from the sting. Hot water definitely works but you need to have the wound cleaned and x-rayed soon after.
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 1,024 Officer
    I was stung last year in the thumb just a light puncture and I immediately rubbed my thumb on the belly. No lie, the pain went from a bee sting to a light throb pretty quick. It didn't go very deep but the slime helped. Hot hot hot water is what I used later.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,753 AG
    The slime works, I've caught thousands and been stuck more times than I can count.. Alcohol(rubbing) and keeping it clean afterwards will keep you away from the Dr's.

However, I can count the times I got hit by a stingray... Two.... Two times and it put me on my knees each time.
    Once in the finger and once in my wrist, both hurt in the worst way...
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • ericfericf Posts: 463 Deckhand
    Only time I got stuck was popping one off like I'd done hundreds of times before as a teenager...

Wrap the 20# leader around your hand, lift the catfish up by line, drop your hand down and snap back up against the slack. POP! Not this time... It swung around the outside of the dock rail, then popped, shot right at my foot and the top spine went an inch into my ankle flush with the back of the fish.

That one was instant hospital trip and wouldn't wish that on any person or creature. Nowadays I hold them with my hand up against the underside of their spines. Slime hand be damned...

Tight Lines,
    Eric Fosbender

Team Googanator

2006 Bull Dolphin 22 with 250 Etec
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,453 Admiral
    What Darcy said..........
  • XafXaf Posts: 1,105 Officer
    Oh and be careful kicking them off a dock into the water with your foot. Years ago saw a guy in tennis shoes try to shove one back into the water with his foot and put the spine right through the side of his shoe into his foot.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,050 Moderator
    Hot water for catfish and stingrays. Meat tenderizer for jellyfish stings
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,101 AG
    Hot water for catfish and stingrays. Meat tenderizer for jellyfish stings

This...... Use peroxide to clean it .... and keep it clean with soap and water.

This is with the caveat that if you get a lot of redness and swelling at the site...get to the ER...It can go badly.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,378 Moderator
    Ice

Next time I'm stung by a catfish I'll give this a try.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,101 AG
    Next time I'm stung by a catfish I'll give this a try.

Do not use ice...hot water is what you want.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you