Home General Fishing

Recommendations for a 12 volt trolling motor for inshore fishing

I've done a "search" but can't find enough information to determine which trolling motor(s) are the most reliable, most dependable, and reasonably priced. It has to be a 12 volt system due to weight issues in the boat. I would appreciate input from folks on their experiences and preferences in the trolling motors they use.

Thanks in advance for any input you have.

Tight lines and good fishing.

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,174 AG
    The reason why you are having issues is that it is a classic " Ford VS Chevy" debate.

Person observation.....Decades of use of both major brands...both the same.
    I fish + 250 days a year so what I NEED is different than a casual fisherman. I need bulletproof reliability which means KISS principal.
    I use a 54 lb 12 volt Motor guide variable speed tiller control on my 20 Ft Hewes Lite tackle.

In the past when I did a lot of tournament fishing I used a 24 volt Minn-Kota 74 lb thrust tiller. I also had a "back-up" unit since " failure is not an option" :)

In reality, the electric motor will outlast the "electricals" in the head by 2 or 3 to one. The rheostatic control ( motherboard with flatwire to the handle assy) craps out after 2 years or so (flatwire failure) of hard use.
    The new motors with all the GPS and spot lock etc will be fine for people who are not exposing the unit to saltwater daily but would not survive my use demands...and they are pricey.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • scrubtechRickscrubtechRick Posts: 274 Deckhand
    I had a minn kota RT55 3x tiller on my small boat for 6+ years, 2006-2012. The only thing I had to replace was the prop because I wore it down going too shallow and the release cord due to sun damage/rot.

I now have the Ipilot 80 on my bay boat for 1 1/2 years and love it.