• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,174 AG
    John Mann wrote: »
    No w abasso bait and tackle?
    .... And thus breaks a noble heart
    good night sweet Prince
    and flights of angels sing
    the to thy rest.

I am getting old.

Yes, a sad passing indeed. Steve and Terry were great guys who really knew fishing.
    The sign in the door says " Thanks to all our patrons GONE FISHING
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • mapachemapache Posts: 262 Officer
    Nostalgia isn't the only reason to fish old Penns. The best were built better than anything under $500 today.

For any medium to heavy inshore fishing the 706z (manual pickup) or 704z (bail) would be a solid choice. These are 50 year old designs that are still being produced in the US ($200 new). They will last a lifetime with basic care, which is very easy since they are so simple. Pack them with grease and you can even dunk them and they won't seize.

The Northeast guys who can't or won't buy Staals and ZeeBaaS beat the heck out of these in the surf and on the rocks. Since moving here I've caught a bunch of tarpon and blacktips on my ancient 706 and unlike even the 1980s designs it has never had a sticky drag or anti-reverse failure, and the roller always spins.

Parts for the z-series and older all-metal SS series are still available from Scott's Bait and Tackle or Ebay.
  • nas197nas197 Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    How good are the Penn pursuit II 4000 spin reels? Just picked one up
  • Holmes BeachHolmes Beach Posts: 969 Officer
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    That is a simple answer...If you want a product that will hold up to *hard* saltwater use....you will be using Penn.

Or....instead of garbage like Penn, one could use a Shimano Sedona 4000FD....or in any other series.

There are nostalgic reels. Cheap reels. Heavily marketed reels.

And then there is a Shimano 4000, in various model names over the years. I've only owned around 40 or 50. They are literally indestructible and last FOREVER.

If affordability, durability, reliability, weight, and the smoothest drags on the planet matter...there is only one choice.
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    No. There are actually many choices. Your personal preference doesn't actually equate to a lack of options that meet this criteria... Just saying
    Pilchard wrote: »
    No. There are actually many choices. Your personal preference doesn't actually equate to a lack of options that meet this criteria... Just saying

I've had many sailfish smoke me on a Penn 4500. I've tossed more Penn's in the garbage than I can remember.

Your brain functions differently than mine.

Pathetic eternal failure isn't an option for me.
  • superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,927 Captain
    I don't know if I'd go after sailfish with a 4500.

And then there is a Shimano 4000, in various model names over the years. I've only owned around 40 or 50. They are literally indestructible and last FOREVER.

You have owned 40 or 50 ....of something that is indestructible...and lasts forever.

That begs the question...why do you need 40 or 50 reels?
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    superduper wrote: »

Yeah, seems way undergunned...
    superduper wrote: »

It all depends on the "HOW" it is done.
    From a dead boat you would be under gunned ( still do-able for some)
    But, as is done on many instances...Fish are baited up....and then the boat is used to nullify a lot of the fight. Plenty of sailfishing video of big sporties backing down so hard that the cockpit has two feet of water and more green water coming over the transom!

Remember, Atlantic sails are not that big....weight wise. That big sail is impressive...but they just don't have weight like Pacific sails do.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    Jim311 wrote: »
    Yeah, seems way undergunned...

Sailfish can be had easily with a Ronco pocket fisherman. Don't need a POS Penn spinning reel. But somehow I didn't think you would know that......
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,023 AG
    Opinions aren't facts. They are opinions.

FWIW, I've got two Penn SS reels that are about 20 years old and still working fine. They are used mostly as sabiki rods these days as they don't work particularly well with braid.
  • Lead slingerLead slinger Posts: 449 Officer
    You have owned 40 or 50 ....of something that is indestructible...and lasts forever.

Parts man. You know shimano is gonna discontinue it so you buy a few to pillage when it breaks...that's the only way I know one will last forever.

I think I just like to buy 4 or 5 new one's every year. I have given all the old one's away. I kept a bunch of spools as they are interchangeable.

Buying 40 reels over 30 years of fishing troubles you?
  • bonephishbonephish Posts: 1,488 Officer
    I think I just like to buy 4 or 5 new one's every year. I have given all the old one's away. I kept a bunch of spools as they are interchangeable.

Excuse me for jumping in here, but HB buying 40 reels over a 30-year timeframe is no big deal. I also buy and sell my reels to update from time to time. Having owned or fished with most all brands of spinning reels, I've settled on Daiwas and Quantums. I never liked fishing with any of the Penn spinners. I think they feel "clunky."
    Parts man. You know shimano is gonna discontinue it so you buy a few to pillage when it breaks...that's the only way I know one will last forever.

Yep....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled

So...How exactly will you ever KNOW how long ANYTHING lasts if you are here admitting you are buying * 4 or 5 NEW ONES * every year..?

Your ability to BS very well is in question :grin
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    Sailfish can be had easily with a Ronco pocket fisherman. Don't need a POS Penn spinning reel. But somehow I didn't think you would know that......

Ah, so you like trolling.
    So...How exactly will you ever KNOW how long ANYTHING lasts if you are here admitting you are buying * 4 or 5 NEW ONES * every year..?

I don't know. I'm pretty sure the one's I've given away are still working though. Surely you won't criticize me for that?

These two might last a while as they haven't been used yet.
    I don't know.

I figured as much.... :grin
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Such a mixed bag of experiences and opinions.

Penn has one finesse spinning reel and that is the Conflict. Everything else seems to be varying degrees of blue collar, no frills, solid workhorses. Penn's warranty ethic is also blue collar: They stand by, and support their product for many many years.
  • Matt1340Matt1340 Posts: 123 Deckhand
    I have Penn battles, penn 4500s, penn 5500s, penn 7500s, and pen 9500s.

And trust me when I say this, they last. If you take care of your gear it will take care of you.

Ive had my 7500s,9500s and some of my 5500s since the early 2000's when I got my 28 whitewater.

I havent had a single problem with either one of them. Just make sure every few years you add some grease. (Penns are some of the easiest reels to take apart and put back together.)