Home General Fishing

Penn Spinning Reels

Replies

• FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    I almost pissed my pants laughing!! :rotflmao

I guess my 50 year old ones passed down from my father must be 49 years past their prime...Yet, they still work.
    Or all the 1980's vintage SS Penns I have bought...

And the best part...I fish 250 days a year...and my reels get a rinse..most days...and still keep working.

I did wear out a pair of 260 Slammers that I will send back to the factory to be rebuilt...and wonder of wonders...they *WILL* do that....and not tell you...
    WE NO LONGER SUPPORT PARTS FOR THIS REEL which is code for..( GO F YOURSELF :rolleyes )

They are so terrible..I bought a brand new Battle II in 2500 and 3000 size while the Bass pro trade in event and spring fishing sale was going on...picked them up for a song.

Penn 50 years ago and Penn now are two totally different companies. Those Old Penn reels were great. But Apparently, you did not read my entire comment. I said the "NEW" line of spinning reels...
  • Guitarshredder1Guitarshredder1 Posts: 354 Officer
    I heard the quantum cabo was excellent, and I liked it on my last flats trip in the keys, but my heart belongs to the shimano stradic
    www.afrcustomtackle.zxq.net
    Custom Rods, Lures, and Flies

[email protected]
    407-913-4803 (Leave a message or text)
  • Guitarshredder1Guitarshredder1 Posts: 354 Officer
    I also have a new SSV 6500 and can't complain though, so whatever you choose, just take care of it
    www.afrcustomtackle.zxq.net
    Custom Rods, Lures, and Flies

[email protected]
    407-913-4803 (Leave a message or text)
  • waldnerrwaldnerr Posts: 1,040 Officer
    Penn 50 years ago and Penn now are two totally different companies. Those Old Penn reels were great. But Apparently, you did not read my entire comment. I said the "NEW" line of spinning reels...

You did not indicate that you were referring to the "newer" Penns when you stated that the reels are trash. Anyway, I believe your generalization is far off base. Ever heard of a Penn Torque spinner? That's still a Penn spinning reel, and some folks are using them for bluefins. You might want to read Alan Hawk's review of a Torque 9 - and the main problems he noted were quickly rectified by Penn, with free upgrades for those who already owned these reels. http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/trqs.html

The worst spinning reel I ever owned in terms of problems encountered during regular use was a Penn 712Z - but the more recent Penns I've owned have been pretty much trouble-free. and the Torques are all but bazooka-proof.
  • SullyKeysSullyKeys Posts: 92 Deckhand
    I also have a new SSV 6500 and can't complain though, so whatever you choose, just take care of it

Couldn't agree more, reels will last if you rinse after use, proper oiling every here and then, etc!
  • Optimum7Optimum7 Posts: 351 Deckhand
    This guy does some of the most extensive testing and reviews on reels I have ever seen.
    check it out, has never steer me wrong.

http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/lists.html
    Again, another person who did not read my entire comment. I said CHEAP. Not the $500-$900 Spinning reel Penn makes. You pay that much for a spinning reel it better last more than a year.

Edit: @ Waldnerr
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,963 Captain
    Pretty much every reel I have ever owned still works. Only ones that ever gave me problems were those that got dunked in the saltwater. I usually rinse in warm water and grease every 5-10 years. Everyone probably already knows this but you need to wash them as soon as you can after fishing. My friends who take naps after getting home first or don't wash their reels on fishing vacations for a few days, they're the ones complaining their reels don't work. I've owned Penns, Shimano, pfleuger, Shakespeare, abu garcia, bass pro, fin-nor, okuma and a zebco when i was 3. That zebco was a sailor's choice catching machine, probly caught over 1000 off the dock. Its still at my grandpa's house and i use it to catch what i now call "pinfish" for offshore bait. Being meticulous with your gear can make it last a lifetime. But i would listen to the duckman if you want to abuse a reel. He fishes all morning, every morning. Also if you use what he uses you may catch a slam;)
    Again, another person who did not read my entire comment. I said CHEAP. Not the $500-$900 Spinning reel Penn makes. You pay that much for a spinning reel it better last more than a year.

Edit: @ Waldnerr

What you wrote was, "Penn spinning reels only last about a year, if that. FACT! If it wasn't for their return policy's and customer service I would never buy a penn spinning reel. I do fish a lot, and take care of my gear more than the average, but their new line of spinning reels are just trash. They are worth the money, CHEAP and that's what you get. Cheap product. Don't let these other fools talk you into it, they are brain washed by the name."

Pay attention to the red text. You need to learn to write clearly and/or stop making inaccurate generalizations. The Torques are part of Penn's "new line." They aren't cheap, either pricewise or in terms of quality - but that's what your statement indicates. There's a difference between individuals not reading your post and you not expressing yourself clearly. Unfortunately, you don't seem to understand the difference.
  • gunnelsjgunnelsj Posts: 46 Deckhand
    Thanks a lot for the discussion guys. I've been reading on my phone, but haven't been able to sit at a computer to respond much. (I hate typing on my phone). The dang Cabella deal on the Daiwa's is sold out, but I believe I'm going to go ahead and order a Fierce before heading down and get it set up. I will probably hit up a local tackle shop when down there for whatever else I need or get.

It sounds like the saltwater stuff is about the same as the freshwater bass gear I'm used to. Get what you pay for to a degree and everyone has their preference. I love my old Mitchell reel even though it's the only one that I've had the anti reverse crap out on me. Shimano, Pflueger, Daiwa...all have different feels and different price points.

At this point in time it looks my saltwater fishing will probably only be about twice a year, so I will probably stay near the lower end of the spectrum. But the good news is that it can still be used on my river back home.

If I'm fishing for snook and reds, any reason my 7' med action bass rods won't work? Do I need something stiffer?
    Also....Between the 3000 and the 4000 series. Do I really need 275 yards of 20 lb braid and the 13# drag? I guess it can't hurt, but I don't like a bigger reel than I need. The 3000 seems more like my typical bass reel size....
    For the vast majority of inshore fishes, a 3000-sized reel is plenty, especially if loaded with small-diameter Spectra or Dyneema braid. There is some variation in the capacities of various 3000-designated reels from different manufacturers, but any would probably work fine. If you're fishing from a boat, you can always chase a hard-running fish, if necessary. Your bass rod, coupled with a 3000-sized reel, should make for a fine outfit. It would be a good idea to take your rod with you when you pick up the reel, just to make sure they balance well. For all-day casting ease and pure fun, lighter is definitely better.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,174 AG
    3000 series will be plenty for inshore work...most of my stuff is 2500 but I did just buy a Battle II in both 2500 and 3000...the 3000 is considerably bigger.
    I would bring down the rod and as Waldner said...make my judgement at the tackle shop as to which one feels better balanced.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    waldnerr wrote: »
    What you wrote was, "Penn spinning reels only last about a year, if that. FACT! If it wasn't for their return policy's and customer service I would never buy a penn spinning reel. I do fish a lot, and take care of my gear more than the average, but their new line of spinning reels are just trash. They are worth the money, CHEAP and that's what you get. Cheap product. Don't let these other fools talk you into it, they are brain washed by the name."

Pay attention to the red text. You need to learn to write clearly and/or stop making inaccurate generalizations. The Torques are part of Penn's "new line." They aren't cheap, either pricewise or in terms of quality - but that's what your statement indicates. There's a difference between individuals not reading your post and you not expressing yourself clearly. Unfortunately, you don't seem to understand the difference.

Here I' am again, arguing with an old man on an internet forum. Get out and catch a fish rather than editing my response. If you misunderstood me, then that's a "you" problem. I gave my opinion, which happens to be a fact. The new, "cheaper" spinning reels (conflicts, conquers, spinfisher, and fierce) that PENN makes, do not last if you fish a lot. (salt water)
  • FibberMckeeFibberMckee Posts: 12,837 AG
    Thanks for reconfirming your opinion is FOS, by specifically mentioning Penn Spinfisher.
    Penn spinning reels only last about a year, if that. FACT!

They are worth the money, CHEAP and that's what you get. Cheap product. Don't let these other fools talk you into it, they are brain washed by the name.
    Here I' am again, arguing with an old man on an internet forum. Get out and catch a fish rather than editing my response. If you misunderstood me, then that's a "you" problem. I gave my opinion, which happens to be a fact. The new, "cheaper" spinning reels (conflicts, conquers, spinfisher, and fierce) that PENN makes, do not last if you fish a lot. (salt water)

Have been a Penn Spinfisher 700 - 704Z fan for many years & still fish with antique SS cup 'Greenie' reels. Penn re-introduced the venerable 704Z & 706Z reels a couple of years ago.

Nobody has "misunderstood" that you meant to include these classics among the "cheaper spinning reels" that you claim "only last about a year, if that. FACT!".

It would appear that you're an angry young man arguing on an internet forum & have a problem.
    I do like the President as an inexpensive option...very smooth

BUT..

They are good for about a year of continuous duty FACT :grin

IMG_20150219_120753_zpsue1nliq0.jpg

Handle will look like junk in a couple months...

And don't judge the plastic body breaking too harshly...I had 2 Penn SSG 4300 (China) do the exact same thing...but PENN sent me a 260 Slammer in it's place the second time.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • JoeyHotFizzleJoeyHotFizzle Posts: 225 Officer
    Oh **** Duck. Thanks for the picture. I'll save a little bit more and get something a little better.

Were you fighting a big fish when the body broke?
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,190 Admiral
    and we all know how meticulous Duck is with his equipment!
  • sk018sk018 Posts: 2,958 Captain
    I have had a battle 4000 for 3 years. It takes an absolute beating, wading, salt spray etc. I have been very happy with it. I would recommend it for 99 bucks its plenty to catch any of the species you mentioned. I have it loaded with 15 pound braid
    Anyone bought the combos for the penn fierce or battle II? If the rods are good, I'll probably just order the combo instead of matching up separate rods. Are the rods that come with them pretty good?

Yes, here you are - sounding like a kid with an unjustifiably overinflated ego and little knowledge of fishing or tackle, on an internet forum. Grow up and maybe you'll come to appreciate the fact that there are others who know more about this sport - and have far more fishing experience - than you do, or likely ever will. Your opinion is not a fact - it's just an opinion, and I'm sorry you don't recognize this. It's interesting that many other individuals don't share your opinion of Penn spinners - even the less expensive ones - and have gotten years of use from them. The worst spinning reel I ever owned, in terms of design flaws, was an old Penn 712Z - but other Penns I've owned have been decent - even the least expensive ones. I doubt you know how to properly care for your tackle or you wouldn't be making the sort of claim you originally stated in this thread which, by the way, did not indicate you were only referring to "cheaper" Penn spinners. In fact, I'm interested in how you define "cheaper" reels. You mention Penn Spinfishers, but the SSV series reels cost over $100.. Do you consider this cheap? The Battles are less expensive than the SSV's, but you don't mention these. Do you define a "cheap" reel as one that breaks down - thus establishing a "circular definition" of sorts? In short, it doesn't appear you have much of an idea of what you're arguing about, and just make statements without having anything to support them. I doubt your ego will allow you to recognize that you're mistaken on many levels - or even one - but some self-evaluation might do you a world of good. You seem incapable of accepting responsibility for your own shortcomings, such as not being able to express yourself clearly - and you try to blame others for what are clearly (at least to others) your problems.

By the way, I'm sorry I can't get out and fish today, as you suggest; I have work to do at my university, where I study - wait for it - fishes.
    gunnelsj wrote: »
    Anyone bought the combos for the penn fierce or battle II? If the rods are good, I'll probably just order the combo instead of matching up separate rods. Are the rods that come with them pretty good?

Oftentimes, combos are offered for price-point sales; that is, they are low-end matches offered at discount prices. There are exceptions but, if you already have a decent rod, you'll probably be better off using it than downgrading to the rod offered in a combo set-up.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    'Generally Speaking', those 'Cheap Combos' (often only ~$10 more than the reel itself) are 'Cheap' BECAUSE the Rods are Cheap Crap...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
    That's what I was assuming, but didn't know if the ones from Penn were any different... I've got a good rod collection and will just swap the out. Getting excited!
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Nope- Penn is the 'King of the Cheap Rod Combo', but they do offer some nice higher end rods (but not for free)
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • BasstarBasstar Posts: 520 Officer
    gunnelsj, I have no dog in this fight and if you have an itch to buy a new rod or combo, then by all means go ahead. All of us fishing "kids" enjoy buying new toys.

BUT....I would like to offer a suggestion.

Your bass tackle will do just fine, at least for now, and until you get some time on the water and some better ideas of what you want to buy.

I have taken my bass tackle (Shimano spinning reels 2000, 2500, and 4000, paired with St. Croix rods ML, and M) for three years now on my trips to Florida and they have worked just fine.***

They have handled everything I have hooked so far although I did almost get spooled on a 2500 last year by a huge stingray caught in some serious tidal current. I had to walk quickly down the bank until I was finally able to gain some line back, but did finally land it to the cheers and applause of several onlookers. :)

I "ALWAYS" spray off the rod and reel immediately after each use before i do anything except to clean the fish.

***On 3 occasions I have dunked the reels in the surf. The first time I was not aware of how the saltwater would affect the reel and within a couple of hours, the reel began to feel weird, bind up, etc. I knew what was happening so immediately took the reel apart, rinsed and lubricated it and it is still in use today. On the two subsequent times I have dunked reels, I have immediately stopped using the reel and took them apart to rinse and lubricate ASAP.

As stated, my goal is not to encourage you NOT to make a purchase, but to encourage you that you may use what you have as you get a better feel for the size and weight rod and reel combo(s) you really want to use.

GLGF!
  • John MannJohn Mann Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Thank you,
    Penn at one point in history made, imho, the finest reexamine the market. I still use a 450 skirted spool
    that my grandfather bought new....he passed when I was 10 . Im pushing 50 and its a workhorse.
    That being said, I also used a 4500 from the early 90s , I have no words to describe the declination of
    value in their products.
    If you really want to use Penn products , and other than nostalgia I can't imagine why, search out
    vintage reels in the hundreds models (440 , 450, 550) and avoid recent products. If you ask nicely
    quality shops like W abasso bait and tackle STILL have parts for them and they are simple enough
    That even I can fix one .
    Otherwise S himano , Diawa and quantum all make some lovely new reels.
    just a thought ,
    John
    John Mann wrote: »
    If you ask nicely
    quality shops like W abasso bait and tackle STILL have parts for them and they are simple enough

Sorry John.....Wabasso tackle no longer exists.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    gunnelsj wrote: »

The Battle II combo is OK...not great....not even good...but OK.
    Since the combo price is only about $20 above reel alone...the value is there but it is nowhere near a $50 Calico Jack in performance and miles from a $100 price point St Croix or Shimano or Star or..(you get the point)
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    John Mann wrote: »
    If you really want to use Penn products , and other than nostalgia I can't imagine why,

That is a simple answer...If you want a product that will hold up to *hard* saltwater use....you will be using Penn.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled