Home General Fishing

Penn Spinning Reels

gunnelsjgunnelsj Posts: 46 Deckhand
I'm shopping for a couple new saltwater fishing reels to take to the Cape Coral area in about a month. I don't want to risk messing up any of my bass gear even though many have said it would be okay and honeslty I want an excuse to get something new! I've been looking at the Penn spinning reels and wanted to know if anyone had an opinion on which one(s) to get. The fierce vs. pursuit and or the conflict vs. spinfisher.

I'm hoping to be fishing for reds and snook and whatever is hitting at the time. I don't see a reason to have anything more than a 20# drag if that.

Is it against forum rules to post a link to their website for discussion purposes? Don't want to get in trouble....

Thoughts?

Replies

• FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    Penn spinning reels only last about a year, if that. FACT! If it wasn't for their return policy's and customer service I would never buy a penn spinning reel. I do fish a lot, and take care of my gear more than the average, but their new line of spinning reels are just trash. They are worth the money, CHEAP and that's what you get. Cheap product. Don't let these other fools talk you into it, they are brain washed by the name.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    Penn spinning reels only last about a year, if that. FACT! If it wasn't for their return policy's and customer service I would never buy a penn spinning reel. I do fish a lot, and take care of my gear more than the average, but their new line of spinning reels are just trash. They are worth the money, CHEAP and that's what you get. Cheap product. Don't let these other fools talk you into it, they are brain washed by the name.

I'm not as vocal as my friend here ^ But I will echo that you get what you pay for.
    I had 4 Penn spinning reels:
    - First gen Battle 5000 (paint issues, 1 bearing replaced under warranty); did ok with mackerel, jacks, small kings and football sized tunas. Sold recently.
    - Recently took delivery of a Conflict 3000 (not enough time on the water to review, but nicer than the old Battle)
    - won a Battle II 4000 (again, not used heavily enough to give a review)
    - Penn SSV 6500. This is the only one I was bitter about because it was supposed to be waterproof and yet... http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?152816-SSV-6500-not-really-waterproof-after-all

So a mixed experience for me. Either I'm giving them a second chance or I'm a sucker for punishment, but I think they are fine reels at the price point and once you purchase them you need to learn how to service them regularly so you don't have a bad experience.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • gunnelsjgunnelsj Posts: 46 Deckhand

What brand or reel do you suggest then? I'm new to the saltwater world and need some direction. I'm not set on Penn, but they are the name that pops up first for those of us not in the know.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    IMO they're a good value w/a great warranty & customer service, but they had some QC issues (esp. early on) when they moved their manufacturing to China... I've heard some good things about the new Battle 2 (vs. Battle 1) & the Conflict... (& for the money the Fierce is hard to beat as 'value' goes)
    That said, personally I would take a look at the new Daiwa Ballistic 4000H (I just bought my 2nd one)
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • SullyKeysSullyKeys Posts: 92 Deckhand
    I have had the Penn Spinfisher, Penn Battle, and the Penn Fierce models. I have had 3000-5000 size reels. I have never had a problem with Penn ever and they are my go-to saltwater reels! Also, the Quantum Cabo is a very nice, but pricy reel that has a TON of drag and is always an option for inshore! Hope this helps and happy fishing!
  • Lead slingerLead slinger Posts: 449 Officer
    Well shucks, reckon Imma have to throw away all my junk penns that work flawlessly.

Some peoples kids...

If you want something simple and will work for what you described, follow the post above. A fierce is a solid little reel for little money.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    gunnelsj wrote: »
    I'm hoping to be fishing for reds and snook and whatever is hitting at the time. I don't see a reason to have anything more than a 20# drag if that.
    Fishing from shore, kayak, wading, or boat?
    Budget?
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • JoeyHotFizzleJoeyHotFizzle Posts: 225 Officer
    Gunnel I've had bad luck with my previous battle 4k and 5k. I used them the same as I used my Stradic FJ's on my kayak and of course they were splashed a bit. The battles paint started flaking which I guess where the first runs and it didn't feel smooth after a couple of months or so. I completely tore them apart except for the bearings and still wasn't as smooth. So I gave them to my brother and sister. Now I've had the old spheres, fj's and now ci4+ use them the exact same way and haven't had any problems yet.

I have heard good things about the new battle 2 and conflict though. Also if you like Daiwa the older ballistic models are on sale on Cabelas for $99.00. Some people liked the ballistics compare to the stradic ci4s so they must be good.

I'd recommend a 2500 size and 15 lb braid. I had 4000 sizes and sometimes they seem overkill in the flats. They're good for pulling stuff out of the mangroves though.

I have fished pine island and Malacha a lot and it is inshore heaven even with just a kayak.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,171 AG
    Penn spinning reels only last about a year, if that. FACT!

I almost pissed my pants laughing!! :rotflmao

I guess my 50 year old ones passed down from my father must be 49 years past their prime...Yet, they still work.
    Or all the 1980's vintage SS Penns I have bought...

And the best part...I fish 250 days a year...and my reels get a rinse..most days...and still keep working.

I did wear out a pair of 260 Slammers that I will send back to the factory to be rebuilt...and wonder of wonders...they *WILL* do that....and not tell you...
    WE NO LONGER SUPPORT PARTS FOR THIS REEL which is code for..( GO F YOURSELF :rolleyes )

They are so terrible..I bought a brand new Battle II in 2500 and 3000 size while the Bass pro trade in event and spring fishing sale was going on...picked them up for a song.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    I really like Shimano gear but the fact that they don't support their products more than 5 years after they're sold suggests to me that they're not interested in producing "life long" products, at least not compared to Penn. I can still buy parts for my 5500SS and probably will always be able to.
  • victorythagr8victorythagr8 Posts: 42 Greenhorn

My penn battle 4000 last more than 4 years. I fish the reel heavy from boat, surf and south jetty of sebastion inlet. This reel is also always stored in my car along with my 2 piece red bone.

I also own a sustain 4000 fe, ballistic ex 2500, saltist 4500, procyon 2500, bait runner 6000.
  • lifegoesonlifegoeson Posts: 338 Deckhand
    The penn fierce is really in a class of its own. It's cheap for a saltwater reel and is a good entry level buy, it may not last 5-10 years of constant use but it was never made too. It's a great buy, as spares for guests and kids, while having enough quality to bring in decent sized fish. I would say 2-3 years of weekend use is about the max the reel can handle.

Conflict and spinfisher are in another price bracket and at that point I would consider other brands. The conflict is nice though and if you don't mind the foam handles it's a good buy. The spinfisher is overbuilt and heavy which is a bad and good thing, pretty indestructible and a good boat road for live bait, not something I would want to be casting with all day though.
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,963 Captain
    I have 2 stradics that have lasted over 5 years. But i won't consider buying another at $180. I bought both those for $110. Reels have gotten expensive. The penn conflict has caught my eye as I need a new one. My buddy left my rod at the ramp last week so I'm in the market for a replacement as well. The Penns are solid, they used to be too heavy for me but they have made them lighter recently which i like. Used to have an old spinfisher that was a champ. Decided to hook a big cobia with my trout rod and the reel took a beating, a bearing inside got all messed up on that fish for some reason. Its been retired ever since lol i would get another though. Penn are good reels and stand up to salt
  • gunnelsjgunnelsj Posts: 46 Deckhand
    jcanracer wrote: »
    Fishing from shore, kayak, wading, or boat?
    Budget?

I'll be fishing from boat mainly but will probably hit the canal from my dock at night for fun with the kids.
  • Lead slingerLead slinger Posts: 449 Officer
    Fierce, more money for beer and bait.
  • flatsbroke22flatsbroke22 Posts: 406 Deckhand
    I have to agree with the Fierce as the best bag for your buck. I mainly fish with Shimano's but always carry my Penn Fierce and have used it for 4-5 years and never had a issue with it, can't say the same for some of my Shimano's.
    2002 Pathfinder 2200v 200 Vmax HPDI
    2006 Hobie Outfitter Tandem
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    I bought a conflict last year and absolutely loved it... for about 4x out... then it just sort of seized up one day. Returned it and bought a Pfluger President that I shake my head at every time I use it because of how much I like it (and how little it cost).
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
    Funny how many ppl love those cheap Presidents...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
    How does the Presidents hold up with some saltwater spray? They are cheap enough that I'm considering them for my loaner set ups. Also hows the drag on them? I don't really care for high drag ratings, I'm asking more of the drag smoothness.

Thanks!
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    My President is worthless. What country do you live in?
    How does the Presidents hold up with some saltwater spray? They are cheap enough that I'm considering them for my loaner set ups. Also hows the drag on them? I don't really care for high drag ratings, I'm asking more of the drag smoothness.
    Thanks!

From what I've seen (& heard from several owners), 'Cosmetically' they look like CRAP after ~a year near the Salt... but they just keep working...
  • Flanative78Flanative78 Posts: 44 Deckhand
    If your gonna be in the cape area stop in and talk to the owner of Lehr's economy tackle on 41 in n ft myers. Hes very knowledgable and get what you want for what you want to spend. They repair reels also so he can tell you the pros of all. I bought my quantum Boca from him over the spinfisher and am happy so far.
    From what I've seen (& heard from several owners), 'Cosmetically' they look like CRAP after ~a year near the Salt... but they just keep working...

Thank you. I'll just spray paint them flat black once the finish goes. Hahaha.
  • MH79MH79 Posts: 503 Officer
    Penn ssv is a good, rugged reel. I have a 4500 that is very versitile. Not a finesse reel and it is definitely not sealed like they claim but a very good reel for the price IMO. Have a gen1 battle 4000 that has seen plenty of use and still holding up. I have had good luck with Penn spinners other than line lay issues. I think they are more durable for the price point than the equivalent shimanos. Maybe not as smooth but more durable in my experience.
  • SymetreSymetre Posts: 142 Officer
    Spinners:
    Best under $50 Quantum Blu 40
    Best under $100 Daiwa Ballistic 2500SH
    Best under $150 Daiwa Ballistic 2500EX

Longest lasting Daiwa Whisker SS

Penn makes great conventionals if your going offshore.
  • minowjoeminowjoe Posts: 717 Officer
    If your interested in the Quanutm Blus i have a few for sale in classifieds.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,237 Captain
    My president (Pfluger) has held up perfectly to salt spray and I dunked it up to the handle once while wading... without the cap on the other end of the handle. Miraculously it wasn't effected by it... but my friend did the same thing last week and his is toast. (his cap was off because he gave it to me to replace mine lol)
    Drag is good but not great. The drag on the Penn Conflict was the best I'd ever used... I wish that reel wouldn't have crapped out on me because I loved it until it did.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith - Crooked Rod Charters
  • Wra22Wra22 Posts: 209 Deckhand
    My Spinfisher v froze about a year after I bought it. They replaced it no questions asked. I have used ssg models many years cleaning and replacing parts myself. My shimano is dead because "no longer supported" by the people who sold it to me. I kayak fish and that is hard on the equipment. Sometimes the angler too
  • Zaraspooker123Zaraspooker123 Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Depends on the model. I like the lower cost ones i.e. the fierce, pursuit, and the sargus because they are like what most people are saying cheap, and satisfactory durability. You're not going to find the ultimate spin reel I think unless you got fat stacks and can afford the nice shimano or penn reels like the stradic or the torque. I would never buy a spin reel over 250$ or so except maybe if the good lord himself endorsed them. Even then I would be hesitant because there are many other reels you can buy for half the price or less that you'll catch just as many fish on and, provided you take care of them more than adequately, will last you just as long. It really depends on personal preference. If I was you I would get the fierce over the pursuit and the spin fisher over the conflict. The pursuit is nice but the fierce, for 20 bucks or so more, provides a little more quality components you'd appreciate in pitched battle with energetic fish. The spin fisher is one of the best penn reels made-IMO the Conquer is the best (I have two, had them since they came out)-so it's a no brainer over the conflict. That's just me-and I don't think they mind if you post discussion topics; I've done it before and I think it just needs to be relevant to "General Fishing." I'm not quite sure myself so it would be good to confirm. Tight Lines! :USA
    1997 Egret 18'9'' Proud owner and caretaker. Fly and light tackle enthusiast. Rip lips! :USA :cool: :hail:wink

HSL Love my town
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    The Fierce/Sargus/Battle/Conflict are all the same basic platform only with a few extra bearings instead of bushings here and there, and a drilled spool to lose some weight and make it "look" cool. So it makes sense that the Fierce is a good quality reel at a low price. I have a Conflict 6000 and it's smooth. As far as the Presidents they're great reels and super smooth too. A 10 bearing reel for 50-60 bucks is almost impossible to beat. The handle will look like crap after a few years of salt but it'll keep on spinning smooth for years after that.