Home General Fishing

New Grouper Reel - Let me know what you guys/gals think or if have used please

I got a new grouper rod and reel today. I went in to Bass Pro with intention of buying a penn battle II 5k spinner and walked out with Penn Squall 25N.

I decided on the Star Drag instead cause I am looking for a little more power for the grouper to get them off the bottom initially. Every once in a while I will hook a big one and he gets down in the hole, and I can only get him out about half the time.

So I was hoping the stiffer rod (130lb instead of 100lb) will help with that. When I got home and compared the weight to my spin fisher 6500 with tigerlite I was pleasantly surprised to find out the new combo was actually lighter.

Just wondering if anyone has had the Squall and if they like it?

Thanks for you input :cool:

New_Reel_1.jpg

New_Reel_2.jpg

New_Rod_1.jpg

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,106 Moderator
    Not sure about the graphite frame for grouper digging. I would have gone with the Fathom. Aluminum body and more drag
  • NaplesOffshoreNaplesOffshore Posts: 284 Officer
    Not sure about the graphite frame for grouper digging. I would have gone with the Fathom. Aluminum body and more drag

Ya know I saw the fathom, just not a fan of spending that much money on a reel. I am gonna beat it up pretty quick.

Good point though, something I didn't think about, thank you.

Maybe I will suck it up and chalk up the extra 100.
    do you notice that much of a difference between 20 and 25lb of drag?
  • tltypeslowtltypeslow Posts: 159 Deckhand
    The Baja special is one hell of a bottom fishing reel
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    I have the squall lever drag and like it a lot, I'm sure the star drag version is good too.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,106 Moderator
    The Squall is a nice reel, kinda like a TLD, but for grouper digging, drag not withstanding, the graphite body will torque a lot more than an aluminum body. Maybe that's why the aluminum body gets more drag ? :shrug
  • Yeaaa_ChrisYeaaa_Chris Posts: 564 Officer
    I really like that size penn. I use a fathom 25n for bottom fishing regularly, and really like it. I think penn overstates the drag numbers because I can't get 25lbs out of my reel, so I'm sure the squall will be similar. I just add some thumb pressure for more drag.

1owro0.jpg
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    I think that reel will work fine. I use a 320GTI with graphite frame and have **** tons of grouper on it.
    Thanks for all your input everyone, I really appreciate it.

I had a chance to go out today, didn't get to use the real much my father in law is in town and I let him handle it. He seemed to like it. So that plus some other positive notes in the thread I'm gonna hang on to it. I do need one more so may get the fathom on the next one just to know what I like better. I personally am a fan of light-weight when grouper fishing since you gotta catch so many to get to the ones you want.

On a side note I don't know how everyone else is doing but the bite really sucked today, not a single kingfish and only 1 keeper grouper out of 60.

I gotta think this cold front is messing my honey hole up.

again thanks for the input everyone.